Thread: Trip to Melbourne Australia 10 days

Default Trip to Melbourne Australia 10 days

Hi all,

Will be planning a trip to Melbourne with my family. Was wondering what I should bring camera stuff I should bring for this trip.

Here's what I planned to bring and would appreciate the feedback from you guys:

1) D7000 with BG
    2) tokina 11-16
    3) tamron 17-50
    4) 70-300 VR
    5) 50 f1.8g (still thinking if shld bring)
    6) sb700
    7) Nd filter
    8) CPL
    9) Tripod
    10) AA batteries
    11) blower and lens pen
    12) sd cards
    13) 2 x lens pouches and lightning fast pouch for wearing on speed belt (just wanted these to change lens fast so that the family won't be waiting) (:
    14) wireless release
    15) TT Streetwalker pro

Thanks for reading / advices.

Default Re: Trip to Melbourne Australia 10 days

If I were u, will make my camera bag as light as possible, need not 50/1.8, need not AA and grip.

jereaukw - be conscious of the weight of your luggage. They are VERY anal about weight (both check-in and hand luggage). Hand luggage is 7kg max. Check-in depends on what class you fly. Economy is 20kg but they give you 10 pct allowance at best. I fly to Australia very frequently so i speak from experience. The last trip i was loaded with a new Canon 5D MkII and a backup D550 and several lens, flash, tripod etc. They wanted to charge me A$250 excess luggage. My camera equipment & camera bags etc was probably over 15kg. Now i travel super light...Samsung NX200 with 4 lens (20mm f2.8, 30mm f2.0, 20-50mm and 50-200mm) + Vanguard Nivelo 204 tripod. Barely 5kg for everything. Two things u must bring is a CPL (Polarizing lens) & Lens Hood. When the sun is low in the late afternoon/evenings makes life difficult.

Hi both, thanks for all the advice. Appreciate it. was thinking of bringing the grip cause thought can forget about worrying changing of battery. But definitely after hearing from both think I will not bring the grip and 50mm.

I am also planning for travel that place so thanks for posting and I got your point.

are u going for a guided tour? or self drive tour?

if its a guided tour, i will advise u to keep your equipments to the minimal since there wun be much time for u to even setup your tripod and think of a composition... everything is very rush. Why i know? cos i went for such tours (local guided) 2 years back.

I will be doing self drive. but then might also be a bit rush. Oh well I'll have to make do with whatever time I have.

10 days is pretty good if u r just visiting state of Victoria!

there's alot of self-drive itineraries online depending on your liking - shopping, wineries, landscape, cafes/lifestyle, etc.

a few places i'd visit again in a self-drive itinerary would be: Melbourne city > Ballarat > Grampians > Great Ocean Road > Mornington Peninsula > Wilsons Promontory > Philip Island. If you still have time, Lakes Entrance or even some skiing too
    VOUX photography - Photography & videography for major events/sports, and weddings.

When are you going - around this time? Try to plan a trip to Philips Island where there was a solar flare the day before... You might get lucky in seeing some Aurora Australis! Someone in Tooradin, Victoria was able to snap some faint looks of it - mostly reddish ones.

Aurora

D7K + Tokina 11-16 should be good enough if you can see the faint lights and try to capture it.

With this weight, you will probably crashed before shooting...(at least for me) But then again, I understand you will be leaving your gears in the car most part of the travelling. I wouldnt encourage these many gears and I do agree they are pretty anal about the weight of hand-carry...

My advice, go as light as possible and just shoot with what you have. My experience back then was just a 5D2 and 35mm with a 16-35.

That was more than enough for me. And yes, filters are important. Hope this will help streamline your gears.

Arrow Re: Trip to Melbourne Australia 10 days

I am not sure what is your comfort level to carry as it varies with individual.

The best advice is to pack what you think you want to use in Australia and use it for a day here in Singapore.

I just carry a DSLR with a 28-300mm lens and a PNS camera as a backup.

]2011 MAR[ Melbourne and Great Ocean Road, Victoria Australia - a set on Flickr

just carry light..sometimes pns is better than expensive gear!

Agree with all, last time I went (Sydney, not Melbourne, but similar) all I took was the a700 and Sony/Zeiss 16-80. Perfect for all I needed.
    Gary

Hi,
    I am planing to go Sydney. I have found some very nice tips from your post. I think it is very good idea that luggage should be lite weight. Thanks for sharing this, When I'll come from Sydney I'll definitely share my experience with you.

my choice would be

d7000
    11-16
    nd
    tripod
    it doesn't matter what camera you are holding, after all, it's the picture which do the talking

Speaking as a ClubSNAPper living in Melbourne:
    1) Fast wide-angle lens for shooting in the city
    2) ND filters is highly recommended as the sun will be very strong
    3) Fast zoom for shooting wildlife if you're touring nature reserves or traveling by coach
    4) Strong winds are common so ensure the tripod has a hook for hanging counter-weights to steady your tripod
    5) Most important, remember that Melbourne has the crappiest weather patterns of any city. It can change from sunny skies to grey clouds and rain within hours, so have a bag or something which you can easily put your camera into and take out of easily
    Currently based in Melbourne / No longer living in Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by harnamsc View Post
    Speaking as a ClubSNAPper living in Melbourne:
    1) Fast wide-angle lens for shooting in the city
    2) ND filters is highly recommended as the sun will be very strong
    3) Fast zoom for shooting wildlife if you're touring nature reserves or traveling by coach
    4) Strong winds are common so ensure the tripod has a hook for hanging counter-weights to steady your tripod
    5) Most important, remember that Melbourne has the crappiest weather patterns of any city. It can change from sunny skies to grey clouds and rain within hours, so have a bag or something which you can easily put your camera into and take out of easily
    Hows the weather these few weeks? I will be going over next Tuesday till 4/5.

Next week? Pack a water-proof & wind-proof jacket and a cap. Wind-proof is more important than water-proof in Melbourne. I use this website to keep track of the weather, its fairly accurate:

Melbourne - Australia; Detailed long range weather forecast for 7,10,14 days, UV index

Luckily the rain here in Melbourne is more like drizzle combined with strong winds. You won't get soaked to the bone, but be careful about getting wet as the strong winds can cause a chill. Once you've been here a few years you'll develop a resistance to it, but for people who've just arrived from a tropical climate the effects will be much more severe.
    Currently based in Melbourne / No longer living in Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by harnamsc View Post
    Next week? Pack a water-proof & wind-proof jacket and a cap. Wind-proof is more important than water-proof in Melbourne. I use this website to keep track of the weather, its fairly accurate:

Melbourne - Australia; Detailed long range weather forecast for 7,10,14 days, UV index

Luckily the rain here in Melbourne is more like drizzle combined with strong winds. You won't get soaked to the bone, but be careful about getting wet as the strong winds can cause a chill. Once you've been here a few years you'll develop a resistance to it, but for people who've just arrived from a tropical climate the effects will be much more severe.

thanks for the link and tips!

Thanks for the tips. Yeah.