Thread: Cheap and reliable camera

Default Cheap and reliable camera

Hi all,

M actually quite new in this digital camera world. Any one have any idea of not so expensive kind of Dig cam? My budget is around $300-$400. And seems like those which are possible are :
    1. Nikon Coolpix 3200
    2. Canon Powershot A400
    3. Panasonic DMC LC50
    4. Olympus C-310Z
    Any idea which one is better? Thanks so much

JS

canon powershot A70,A75,A85 also not bad.

but A70 is old model liao.
    me using it now

hmmm... in my opinion, confirm i'll take the nikon. physically, its the nicest looking among the 4. no doubt abt its image quality.

as for the zooming part, the panasonic lose out on the optical part with 2x while the rest are all 3x, and olympus c-310 stands out with its additional 10x DIGITAL zoom....

the rest of the specs are almost the same for all 4 as they are in the 3mp range of d.cams....

so up to u lasr my bro. just my 2cents worth.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_spade
    Hi all,

M actually quite new in this digital camera world. Any one have any idea of not so expensive kind of Dig cam? My budget is around $300-$400. And seems like those which are possible are :
    1. Nikon Coolpix 3200
    2. Canon Powershot A400
    3. Panasonic DMC LC50
    4. Olympus C-310Z

JS
    Hi Jack_spade,
    I would choose the Nikon.
    Very good picture quality.
    Rechargable batteries with charger.
    Better preset scene options
    Video with sound.
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

canon g-series

Quote Originally Posted by jonlou
    hmmm... in my opinion, confirm i'll take the nikon. physically, its the nicest looking among the 4. no doubt abt its image quality.

as for the zooming part, the panasonic lose out on the optical part with 2x while the rest are all 3x, and olympus c-310 stands out with its additional 10x DIGITAL zoom....

the rest of the specs are almost the same for all 4 as they are in the 3mp range of d.cams....

so up to u lasr my bro. just my 2cents worth.
    Don't look at the digital zoom. Only look at the optical zoom, because digital zoom doesn't make a better image quality.

Regards,
    Nick
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

Quote Originally Posted by nickmak
    Don't look at the digital zoom. Only look at the optical zoom, because digital zoom doesn't make a better image quality.

Regards,
    Nick
    think it was the wrong implication. i wasnt trying to tell our friend here to go for the digital zoom. yeah, its just magnifying the picture on the thru the magnifying lens on the PC...

1. Nikon Coolpix 3200
    2. Canon Powershot A400
    3. Panasonic DMC LC50
    4. Olympus C-310Z

Nikon has no video sound, from my experience its only average. Panasonic forget it, I hate the watercolour night shots, useless. Olympus is fine, but I feel for this range Canon is the best, I saw canon A75 is the best. Whatever u take, it would turn out perfect. Best price, best quality, AA batteries at Carrefour now only 400+!!! I would get it if im u.

Nikon But they're a bit on the slow side.

Quote Originally Posted by daylight

me using it now

Canon Powershot A series. But I think these models are more than $400.

Quote Originally Posted by dennisc
    1. Nikon Coolpix 3200
    2. Canon Powershot A400
    3. Panasonic DMC LC50
    4. Olympus C-310Z

Nikon has no video sound, from my experience its only average. Panasonic forget it, I hate the watercolour night shots, useless. Olympus is fine, but I feel for this range Canon is the best, I saw canon A75 is the best. Whatever u take, it would turn out perfect. Best price, best quality, AA batteries at Carrefour now only 400+!!! I would get it if im u.

Sorry but I beg to differ.
    The Nikon 3200 does have sound (at least what is supplied in Australia)
    It is also supplied with rechargable batteries (2xAA) and charger.

Maybe other countries get a different Coolpix 3200 (it wouldn't suprise me)
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

Quote Originally Posted by daylight

me using it now
    i'm using a A75 but i'd reccommend an A80 ... although an older generation. but it has all the specs of A75 with more megapixels an additional swivel 270 Degrees LCD good for taking shots with weird angles. but it cost near $500 me think. Can try go to MS colour at Ang Mo Kio. For better price.
    The G series are really good if u wanna upgrade to SLR someday. Can mount external flash le.... me also very itching to buy. But G series v ex.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_spade
    Hi all,

1. Nikon Coolpix 3200
    2. Canon Powershot A400
    3. Panasonic DMC LC50
    4. Olympus C-310Z

JS
    If go with Nikon, I'd rather go with Coolpix 3700 instead of 3200. 3700 has better pic quality, video with sound, and it's under promotion right now: $399 with free 256mb SD card/tripod/case. Or better yet, go to AP to get a bargain for $370 with a free 256mb SD card

Canon A75/80/85/95 are quite good too and have more features too, but over your budget lah.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by jonlou
    think it was the wrong implication. i wasnt trying to tell our friend here to go for the digital zoom. yeah, its just magnifying the picture on the thru the magnifying lens on the PC...

i thought the same way in the past, but after more thinking, it isn't the same...
    the camera compress the photo after it is taken. Although not much difference, there is still a difference btw digital zoom and magnifying glass on the PC

Default Hey Jack_Spade

Hey there, I am also rather new to digital photography. Right now I am still using my nikon film SLR camera for my photographic needs.

Right now, I am still deciding between the CoolPix 3700 and 3200. Can't really decide which is the better buy. I just want a camera whereby I can learn the essence of digital photography and upgrade to a better model once my budget permits me.

Cheers and have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by win_ong
    Hey there, I am also rather new to digital photography. Right now I am still using my nikon film SLR camera for my photographic needs.

Right now, I am still deciding between the CoolPix 3700 and 3200. Can't really decide which is the better buy. I just want a camera whereby I can learn the essence of digital photography and upgrade to a better model once my budget permits me.

Cheers and have a nice day.
    If just between 3700 and 3200, I'd suggest you go with 3700. You can get one as low as $360 at AP, which comes with a 256mb sd card, case and a mini tripod. You can check out the reviews at dpreview about these two camera. I'm sure you'll find there are more positive feedbacks on 3700 than 3200.

I have a 3700 for myself, and 3 other colleagues just got the same cam from Alan Photo.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by fengwei
    If go with Nikon, I'd rather go with Coolpix 3700 instead of 3200. 3700 has better pic quality, video with sound, and it's under promotion right now: $399 with free 256mb SD card/tripod/case. Or better yet, go to AP to get a bargain for $370 with a free 256mb SD card

Good luck!
    Yeah...this is the one I am going to suggest...sleek and rich in feature...the only downside I see is it's made in Batam :duh:

Quote Originally Posted by user111
    canon g-series
    budget of $300-400 can get g-series?
    web | blog | fb | ig

Ok here's the spanner thrown in. If you or friend has OCBC Prestige Credit (creditline) you can buy the Nikon Coolpix E4100 for $408 from Aik Seng Photo with Mini Tripod, cam pouch & air tight case free.
    All you need do is bank in the $408 into your a/c and issue the Prestige cheque (so you don't draw in creditline).
    Anyway, I like Nikon 775 and now looking at Canon A400 ($310 from MS).