Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 45

Thread: 50mm F1.8 lens vs kit lens

  1. #21

    Default Re: 50mm F1.8 lens vs kit lens

    Kit lens
    - cheap
    - is a zoom lens
    - goes wider at 18mm
    - goes longer at 105mm (if using 18-105mm) or not at all longer at 55mm (if using 18-55mm)
    - more flexible in composition - choosing viewpoints via zoom or feet control
    - has very small apertures (f/3.5 at 18 and f/5.6 at 50mm)
    - virtually impossible to isolate subject.

    50mm lens
    - 1.8D as cheap as (18-55) or cheaper than (18-105) kit lens
    - 1.8G is more expensive than 18-55, slightly cheaper than 18-105.
    - is fixed in field of view - must use feet to change viewpoint - which may teach you a thing or two about photography
    - is cheapest fast lens (large aperture) around
    - teaches isolation via large aperture, and bokeh
    - good for low light photography

    My philosophy is everyone should have a 50mm f/1.8 for at least a while, maybe 1-2 years. Learn to use it. If you don't like it, sell for very small lost or none at all if you buy used. The lens will teach you quite a few things about photography.

    Caveat - you may end up getting hook on large aperture lense, all of whom are significantly more expensive.

  2. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bryank
    Here is a little explanation on why do you need a 50mm Prime lens.

    5 Reasons Why You Need a 50mm lens - YouTube
    Haha. I don't have a 50mm leh.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

  3. #23

    Default Re: 50mm F1.8 lens vs kit lens

    Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post
    Haha. I don't have a 50mm leh.
    Are you convinced to get one after the video?
    Haha. I got myself one after watching this video.
    Hope that the TS will buy and start his "Bokeh" galore

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,786

    Default

    To be honest, initially I had really no idea y blurry background makes a photo look nice, then I got to see image with nice blurry, which i was so excited about creating the effect and was all out hunting large aperture lenses. Luckily nvr spent too much money. Until recently, I finally understand y I want blurry background...
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

  5. #25

    Default Re: 50mm F1.8 lens vs kit lens

    Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    To be honest, initially I had really no idea y blurry background makes a photo look nice, then I got to see image with nice blurry, which i was so excited about creating the effect and was all out hunting large aperture lenses. Luckily nvr spent too much money. Until recently, I finally understand y I want blurry background...
    I always thought the bokeh effect was created by photoshop at that time, so i keep taking photo with my digital camera and photoshop, apply gaussian blur on it. haha.
    Was awful looking at it now.

  6. #26
    Member Eddie Current's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Toa Payoh Lorong 8
    Posts
    34

    Default Re: 50mm F1.8 lens vs kit lens

    Thanks for all the sharing peeps. Nice to hear from experience especially. I went to IT Show yesterday and saw that Nikon has a booth. Could see many people walking away with Nikon purchases in bags and trolleys. Almost got poisoned myself.

  7. #27
    Member Bukitimah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,259

    Default Re: 50mm F1.8 lens vs kit lens

    I am no experts but have also been toying about this for a while. I have difficulties with kit lens when the lighting is poor and you cannot use flash. Setting to lower speed and higher ISO also may not be the best solution. The f1.8 is definitely a big plus.

    The Nikon AFD 50 f1.8 is among the cheapest and if you buy pre=owned, it is less than $120. One day should you feel that you want to sell, I dont think you will lose a arm or limb with that kind of purchase.

    I am also using the Tamron 17-50 f2.8. But personally, I still think the Nikon is still better.

  8. #28

    Default Re: 50mm F1.8 lens vs kit lens

    Truly, for cost purposes at least, the first f/1.8 lens should be the 50mm that'd be good for low light and portrait. The second would be the 35mm, that allow you to get in that bit more of the environment. Buy the G version for about $300 (50mm) and $350 (35mm) and you'd be very happy with experiments on bokeh, isolation, low light. Get second hand and you'll save a bit. Sell them later if you wish, and how much can you lose?

    I have the 35mm f/1.8G, 50mm f/1.4G and 85mm f/1.8G (apart from other lenses). If I add my 20mm f/2.8D then on DX I cover most of what I need to with super low light capability, but lose zoom capability.

  9. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bryank

    Are you convinced to get one after the video?
    Haha. I got myself one after watching this video.
    Hope that the TS will buy and start his "Bokeh" galore
    Haha! I use my 85mm for the same purpose! I believe I can live with the weight. But yeah. I can see why the 50mm is loved.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

  10. #30
    Member GReddyZC76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    singapore, northeast
    Posts
    590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Current
    Thanks for all the sharing peeps. Nice to hear from experience especially. I went to IT Show yesterday and saw that Nikon has a booth. Could see many people walking away with Nikon purchases in bags and trolleys. Almost got poisoned myself.
    Get a sb700/910, together with ur kit lens, it could give u decent images even in low lightings condition. Sometimes, F/1.8 F/1.4, maybe not even be 'bright' enuff in low lightings condition, and not forgetting as mentioned, shallow dof....
    [D800|AFS2470F2.8G|AFS70200F2.8G|AFS1635F4G|AFS28F1 .8G|AF85F1.8D|AFDC105F2D|SB700|SB900]

  11. #31
    Member GReddyZC76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    singapore, northeast
    Posts
    590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bryank
    Here is a little explanation on why do you need a 50mm Prime lens.

    5 Reasons Why You Need a 50mm lens - YouTube
    I think mr kai is using a d700, or an ff....
    [D800|AFS2470F2.8G|AFS70200F2.8G|AFS1635F4G|AFS28F1 .8G|AF85F1.8D|AFDC105F2D|SB700|SB900]

  12. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PreciousP
    Truly, for cost purposes at least, the first f/1.8 lens should be the 50mm that'd be good for low light and portrait. The second would be the 35mm, that allow you to get in that bit more of the environment. Buy the G version for about $300 (50mm) and $350 (35mm) and you'd be very happy with experiments on bokeh, isolation, low light. Get second hand and you'll save a bit. Sell them later if you wish, and how much can you lose?

    I have the 35mm f/1.8G, 50mm f/1.4G and 85mm f/1.8G (apart from other lenses). If I add my 20mm f/2.8D then on DX I cover most of what I need to with super low light capability, but lose zoom capability.
    I don't think there's such a thing as first or second lens due to the price. Buy the lens according to what you need and not according to the price.

  13. #33
    Member GReddyZC76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    singapore, northeast
    Posts
    590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spree86

    I don't think there's such a thing as first or second lens due to the price. Buy the lens according to what you need and not according to the price.
    Hehee.. I love and need a nikkor 24mm... But I cant afford the 24mm f/1.4g....
    [D800|AFS2470F2.8G|AFS70200F2.8G|AFS1635F4G|AFS28F1 .8G|AF85F1.8D|AFDC105F2D|SB700|SB900]

  14. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GReddyZC76
    Hehee.. I love and need a nikkor 24mm... But I cant afford the 24mm f/1.4g....
    Haha sacrifice the 6mm and get a sigma 30mm f1.4?

  15. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spree86

    Haha sacrifice the 6mm and get a sigma 30mm f1.4?
    The Nikon 24mm f/1.4 and the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 are in different class leh! Haha.

    The Sigma has its proponents and detractors. I have used it before and though it was pretty good.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

  16. #36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow

    The Nikon 24mm f/1.4 and the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 are in different class leh! Haha.

    The Sigma has its proponents and detractors. I have used it before and though it was pretty good.
    Haha the price also in different class. Have to watch out for pocket burns

  17. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spree86

    Haha sacrifice the 6mm and get a sigma 30mm f1.4?
    No can do... 24mm on a FF is a total different perspective.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

  18. #38
    Senior Member Big Kahuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    2,127

    Default

    I got more keeper on my 50mm prime than my zoom for my kid's photo.....i believe because of the speed, bokeh, contrast and it's easier to work with....and somehow my kid is less intimidated with it than my 28-75 mm so her expression is more natural

  19. #39

    Default Re: 50mm F1.8 lens vs kit lens

    Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    I don't think there's such a thing as first or second lens due to the price. Buy the lens according to what you need and not according to the price.
    Of course there isn't, for someone who knows it all, buy want you need. And get that 24-70/2.8 at what, 2.6k?

    But if someone doesn't know and want a way forward, affordable quality that is logical in progression in exploring around 50mm vs kit lens, there is. GReddyZC76 said it well, I want a 24/1.4 but will never be able to afford it. But I can cover the range of 24-70/2.8 with 4 primes and still pay less, and do it gradually.

    Of course there is no first or second lens ...

  20. #40
    Member GReddyZC76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    singapore, northeast
    Posts
    590

    Default

    Ya I agreed theres no 1st or 2nd or 3rd lenses, get accordingly to needs and bugdet.

    Kekee. Dont quote me leh senior....

    Maybe I shld rephrase a bit, I want a 24 f/1.4g, just that I cant bring my heart down to invest $3k .....

    Kekeee
    ...

    Quote Originally Posted by diediealsomustdive
    GReddyZC76 said it well, I want a 24/1.4 but will never be able to afford it. But I can cover the range of 24-70/2.8 with 4 primes and still pay less, and do it gradually.

    Of course there is no first or second lens ...
    [D800|AFS2470F2.8G|AFS70200F2.8G|AFS1635F4G|AFS28F1 .8G|AF85F1.8D|AFDC105F2D|SB700|SB900]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •