Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: In the name of "Portfolio Building"

Default Re: Photographer needed for Pre-wedding Shoot @ Krabi

Allow me to just give you an incident;

about a yr or 2 ago, I was 1 of 3 photogs who were covering a prestigous event at a prestigious 5-star hotel. The EM(event Manager) tot I was 1 of the photogs he hired but I was not. I was hired by 1 of the award recipients and got to sit with them during the start of the dinner & event. Then my clients name was called and I went with him to the stage and started photographing him on stage etc, etc... just before I left the venue that nite the EM approached me and asked for my biz card which I gave. Following nite the EM contacted me and asked me if I have a shot of all the award recipients in the back row and told me his photogs missed it. I'm not saying they(photogs) did it for free but how sure are you about what you do or know? I know the 2 photogs were not newbies but just inexperienced. They indeed saw me as an old man with a Canon XXXD camera and 3rd party zoom lens and definately didnt expect me to be up to scratch or on par with them. Cos both were using the latest top of the line Canons & Nikons with their L & VR glass.
    I definately got paid by my client but Im not sure if they got theirs! Let this be a lesson to newbies...

I think can start a new website for freebies like Freesnap.com.sg for all new photographers who are dying to do for sake of exposure and doing free for clients.

I hope there is a section to inform pros and cons about such stuff. Even if do for free, must at least get a copyright. So can use the photos for personal sale.

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd-Hamsterlord View Post
    I think can start a new website for freebies like Freesnap.com.sg for all new photographers who are dying to do for sake of exposure and doing free for clients.

I hope there is a section to inform pros and cons about such stuff. Even if do for free, must at least get a copyright. So can use the photos for personal sale.
    Hi Everyone, I would like to highlight that we should charge the min to cover our expense , Food, transport etc. I encourage newbie to hunt for experience while the passion is still there. Regardless you are new, amateur or a pro, you do not feed on passion or experience. There is a limited resources everyone start out with, so let be fair and help everyone to earn to fuel the passion.

With Pride we capture image. Not for free!!

I strongly suggest Mod and fellow photographers to share their ideas and advice regarding the Min charge for such similar cases.

I know this is very hard. However as a clubsnap members for few years, it will break my heart to see people taking advantage of fresh/fellow photographers.

My 2cent worth of thought.

I find these 2 posts very contradictory... U know wad I mean??

I pray hard for that pg who pick up the deal. Read this Gay Krabi | Travel Gay Asia

For your safety precaution view this the naked gun-shower scene - YouTube

I dont wan you ( PG ) to end up like him Oh billy - YouTube
    Im not a "free lunch" photographer

Sorry Bro, the first post I`m serious about it. However reading your reply, I agree with what you say thus I try to be like sarcastic for the 2nd post. I hope my post dont cause confusion. Sorry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by newtoforums View Post
    Hi Everyone, I would like to highlight that we should charge the min to cover our expense , Food, transport etc. I encourage newbie to hunt for experience while the passion is still there. Regardless you are new, amateur or a pro, you do not feed on passion or experience. There is a limited resources everyone start out with, so let be fair and help everyone to earn to fuel the passion.

With Pride we capture image. Not for free!!

I strongly suggest Mod and fellow photographers to share their ideas and advice regarding the Min charge for such similar cases.

I know this is very hard. However as a clubsnap members for few years, it will break my heart to see people taking advantage of fresh/fellow photographers.

My 2cent worth of thought.

I find these 2 posts very contradictory... U know wad I mean??

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd-Hamsterlord View Post
    Sorry Bro, the first post I`m serious about it. However reading your reply, I agree with what you say thus I try to be like sarcastic for the 2nd post. I hope my post dont cause confusion. Sorry about it.
    No prob but you must not send e wrong message..

Thank you Newtoforums, let hope the best to our fellow photographers. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by ellery View Post
    You get what you pay for was a phrase my elders told me long ago, of course they were not talking about paying for "talent". Our TS takes this photography is cheap mentality to an all time low, any lower and it will be that the photographer has to pay for the "honor" of covering this for them. Hey TS may be you need to readvertise and say highest bidder to cover your casual pre wedding shoot will be the shooter for you.

I am sure you will get the photographer that you deserve.
    I would not be surprised if TS really got ppl who will pay to go shoot for them at Krabi

Quote Originally Posted by newtoforums

Hi robin-ang,

The above used to be my fav quote.
    Haha gd to use ryte haha

Quote Originally Posted by lobsterkia

I would not be surprised if TS really got ppl who will pay to go shoot for them at Krabi
    I think the same to...but how bout TS offer there own relation to shoot for them?

Since budget problem then don't use DSLR just use iPhone shoot that all..

Pay a cent Want to get a feet????

betta still use new Nokia phone can get 41MP shots

Quote Originally Posted by newtoforums
    betta still use new Nokia phone can get 41MP shots
    Haha...Nokia 8800

Default Re: In the name of "Portfolio Building"

Do you, as a newbie photographer, junior photographer, emerging photographer, aspiring photographer, up and coming photographer, in whatever name you call yourself,
    in order to gain experience and build portfolio, willing to let such people taking advantage on you?

it this the way to go?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

There are many ways to build portfolio and this is worst way to build portfolio.
    Whoever taking this up, will be labelled as a free photographer and this won't go away easily.
    If you produce lousy work for this couple, you will be labelled as a photographer who can't deliver.
    Your reputation is at stake.... for nothing.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

Catchlights

Thanks for keeping this "alive" fo discussion and edu. Hopefully we can discourage such posting and let the newbies know what they are getting into.

Cheers.

Kopi on me
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    Do you, as a newbie photographer, junior photographer, emerging photographer, aspiring photographer, up and coming photographer, in whatever name you call yourself,
    in order to gain experience and build portfolio, willing to let such people taking advantage on you?

it this the way to go?
    further to the above, do you know what you're getting into?
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Not stopping people shooting free to get portfolios.

My advice for such case:

1. That newbie or whatever go shoot free, please do not give them any images, shoot is free but images must charge. Per image bridal shop is charging $80, so you can charge them the same rates.

2. List down the details in contract, failing to do so you may end up in bad situation.

3. Always ensure even shoot free, tell them a must to hire an make up artist, it helps. (Imaging shoot free for portfolios, but bad make up cannot produce good results).

4. Good to states the duration, you wanna wake up 2am for them??

5. Since it is free, and most likely no contract, you are entitled to shoot as you want, disappear as you want. If you think you have enough shots, wanna stop, please stop. Do not need to listen to them.

PLEASE REMEMBER SHOOT IS FREE BUT IMAGES IS NOT!!!
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fotoudavid View Post
    Not stopping people shooting free to get portfolios.

My advice for such case:

1. That newbie or whatever go shoot free, please do not give them any images, shoot is free but images must charge. Per image bridal shop is charging $80, so you can charge them the same rates.

2. List down the details in contract, failing to do so you may end up in bad situation.

3. Always ensure even shoot free, tell them a must to hire an make up artist, it helps. (Imaging shoot free for portfolios, but bad make up cannot produce good results).

4. Good to states the duration, you wanna wake up 2am for them??

5. Since it is free, and most likely no contract, you are entitled to shoot as you want, disappear as you want. If you think you have enough shots, wanna stop, please stop. Do not need to listen to them.

PLEASE REMEMBER SHOOT IS FREE BUT IMAGES IS NOT!!!
    David I strongly disagree with 1 and 5 and possibly the red text too. For me, the right thing to do is to state BEFORE agreeing or going over what you are willing to put in this project (? - treat it like one) (time, effort, equipment, money, pictures delivered, copyright of use etc, food, transport etc, all go into your point 2), and what you expect to get out / what you expect to find (free make up artist, model, accomodation, water, etc etc). If you can't agree terms with them, just walk on. Don't waste your time!

Quote Originally Posted by photo-orama View Post
    David I strongly disagree with 1 and 5 and possibly the red text too. For me, the right thing to do is to state BEFORE agreeing or going over what you are willing to put in this project (? - treat it like one) (time, effort, equipment, money, pictures delivered, copyright of use etc, food, transport etc, all go into your point 2), and what you expect to get out / what you expect to find (free make up artist, model, accomodation, water, etc etc). If you can't agree terms with them, just walk on. Don't waste your time!
    exactly what i listed in number 2.

there will be ppl jumping in to do, and since the TS stated free, ppl shoot free, so better list down, if cannot, remember this, images must charge them as time will be used to do DI.

The key words is shoot for free. And many newbie will be blurt about this.
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

one joker in services wanted looking for models/talents to feature in the name of portfolio building. $160 full day, $80 half day for stock photo.

Good opportunity for the PM's office to feature our foreign talent because you'know.... lol

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast