Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: In the name of "Portfolio Building"

Default Re: Photographer needed for Pre-wedding Shoot @ Krabi

For those responding to TS request, ever think about the worst case scenario if something happens to your equipment? Client is not even offering to pay equipment fees for a nominal sum. I suppose if the bad should happen you can still whip out your Iphone and continue the shoot. Great plan!

we had mention it many times, even put it in the sticky thread...

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75 View Post
    it has come to our attention that there are a number of people asking photographers/models to work for free/pittance because they are on a 'tight' budget.

please take note that CS strongly discourage asking photographers/models to work for free/pittance, unless it is for a charity or other noteworthy causes (subjected to prior approval by the CS Admins). such posts will be summarily deleted.

all such freeloaders' threads we will delete when spotted, but personally, I will let some threads surface occasionally, to serve as education purposes....

let members learn how to deal with such requests, let photographers learn how to say "No" in many ways, let everyone knows how we feel about this.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75 View Post
    it has come to our attention that there are a number of people asking photographers/models to work for free/pittance because they are on a 'tight' budget.

please take note that CS strongly discourage asking photographers/models to work for free/pittance, unless it is for a charity or other noteworthy causes (subjected to prior approval by the CS Admins). such posts will be summarily deleted.

all such freeloaders' threads we will delete when spotted, but personally, I will let some threads surface occasionally, to serve as education purposes....

let members learn how to deal with such requests, let photographers learn how to say "No" in many ways, let everyone knows how we feel about this.

hahaha....

TS so kind. Since you so generous willing to pay for my airfare and accommodation for such a luxurious pre wedding shoot, I will be kind also to shoot for you.... Only in the airplane and accommodation. Rest of the time i will be there to shoot other things to build my portfolio.

Thanks!

hahaha....

TS so kind. Since you so generous willing to pay for my airfare and accommodation for such a luxurious pre wedding shoot, I will be kind also to shoot for you.... Only in the airplane and accommodation. Rest of the time i will be there to shoot other things to build my portfolio.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post

Tks Catchlights.

Perhaps you could disable their PM and remove their contact as there will still be people who reply and that would have served their purpose, No? Just a suggestion.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Tks Catchlights.

Perhaps you could disable their PM and remove their contact as there will still be people who reply and that would have served their purpose, No? Just a suggestion.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

I suggest TS should post their couple pic here. Just want to make sure it is worth doing for it. Dont wan to end up with jurassic park theme. ( Not referring to TS ) If the couple look like those living thing from jurassic park ,no point shooting it for foc and use it as portfolio.
    Im not a "free lunch" photographer

I suggest TS should post their couple pic here. Just want to make sure it is worth doing for it. Dont wan to end up with jurassic park theme. ( Not referring to TS ) If the couple look like those living thing from jurassic park ,no point shooting it for foc and use it as portfolio.
    Im not a "free lunch" photographer

i think also good to post the main photographer's portfolio. don't want to end up the person shooting for free do a better job and being made use as a free main photographer...

Quote Originally Posted by house3377
    i think also good to post the main photographer's portfolio. don't want to end up the person shooting for free do a better job and being made use as a free main photographer...
    Haha, I like your counter intuitively post
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    Tks Catchlights.

it is much simple just to delete the whole thread, but I don't want the service wanted section to be too sterilised.

Hi All,

I've mentioned about the 'free photography' problem/syndrome long ago but some newbies insist that without starting out for free how do they ever get to starter! Well newbies have to start at the beginning as you dont learn to fly before your learn to walk. Over the years I've trained more than 50 newbies. Of course not everyone will make it but there are a few who have made Photography their career. Whenever I have a chance to find a newbie who is keen to learn about photography and even my trainees/interns get paid to learn. There is No such thing as 'free photography' in my vocabulary. All my clients either pay full rate or what i term 'charity' rates if they are non-profit organisation, they are either subsidised or depend on donations but end of the day we are providing a service and Not doing volunteer work. My 2cents.

Quote Originally Posted by newtoforums View Post
    Hi All,

I've mentioned about the 'free photography' problem/syndrome long ago but some newbies insist that without starting out for free how do they ever get to starter! Well newbies have to start at the beginning as you dont learn to fly before your learn to walk. Over the years I've trained more than 50 newbies. Of course not everyone will make it but there are a few who have made Photography their career. Whenever I have a chance to find a newbie who is keen to learn about photography and even my trainees/interns get paid to learn. There is No such thing as 'free photography' in my vocabulary. All my clients either pay full rate or what i term 'charity' rates if they are non-profit organisation, they are either subsidised or depend on donations but end of the day we are providing a service and Not doing volunteer work. My 2cents.
    can train me?

Quote Originally Posted by house3377 View Post
    Don't think there's another "main photographer" the free photographer IS the main photographer, she's hoping for the free photographer to be familiar with the place

it is much simple just to delete the whole thread, but I don't want the service wanted section to be too sterilised.

Understand your POV and will leave this in your good hands but I would not be surprised if it already serves her purpose and this will encourage others to do the same.

Thanks Bro

Ladies and gents, do a search on agoda or groupon and look at how cheap a trip and accommodation to Krabi is.

Just one unit of your SB900 or EX580II already beats that price.

A wedding pro packs about $10000 to $20000 worth of equipment per wedding. How would a pro risk travel with such high stakes without reasonable and justifiable compensation? Any mishap may cause him to close shop or seriously cripple his business. Remember back from the trip he still need these equipment for other paying clients. Sea, sand, accidents, thieves, hotel/resort security, flight handling, etc, its all probable things to hurt you or your gear.

And overseas job will put me out of action for 3 to 5 days due to travel and fatigue. How to justify the 5 days of lost income?

Obviously the pros and the semi pros and even the serious hobbyists who are good in their work and serious in their businesses, won't be interested and will even frown as these practises, for it hurts the market. Obviously TS is out to hunt for newbie hobbyists hoping to enter the pro scene. Question is, whats the chance of the respondents being good, reliable, professional in conduct, have the right equipment, know the right shots, and yet free?

Talent and luck will help in early stages of photography yes, but once you passed the beginner stages its the hard work and discipline of challenging something again and again and again until one reached mastery and that really separates a photo artist from a GWC. If one is not there yet, photographically/artistically, Krabi or East Coast Park not much different. I would be more impressed by a great photographic concept shot in a rubbish dump house than an anyhow-whack-photo shot in a castle.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

Quote Originally Posted by house3377 View Post
    If she already hired a photographer, finding another photographer is a direct show of disrespect and lack of confident in the first.

I think it is industry standard everywhere for weddings and portraits jobs to be exclusive per session. You want to hire another photographer fine, but not on same session. Amateurs included.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanneChng View Post
    I am looking for photographer who would like to build up his/her portfolio
    Krabi on 22 March - 24 March - Best if you are familiar with there
    Casual pre-wedding shoot

I am only willing to pay for the airfare and accomodation
    3D2N

Interested, please contact Jo at prestigelee@gmail.com with your contact and portfolio
    Another thing, 'Casual pre-wedding shoot' to me reads as 'I don't even have a wedding gown yet'.

So its like hiring a photog on site overseas for 3 days for only few hundred bucks. Some studios already charge a local $1500 day rate for one junior photographer.

Lastly, I personally don't like the way she wrote it. "I am only willing to pay for the..." Its way too blatant, rude and entitlement attitude too strong here. If posting advertisement already use such tones here, I shudder to think what would it be on site.

If you remember the Vietnamese tourist couple who tried to pull the same trick some weeks ago (their threads deleted by mod already I think), at least they tried to ask nicely and show pics of themselves.

I believe the TS is a run and gun poster. hence the email address in the first post, I doubt she will come back.

Anyway let those people with dslr and kit lens go la. At the most TS gets ****ed up photos and the person she pays the trip for gets to go overseas.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast