Thread: Sending Money order in US$$

Default Sending Money order in US$$

Hi,

Anyone knows of any place where I can send money order in US dollars oevrseas?? Called up Singapost but they only deal in S$.

You can get a international bank draft in US$ from local bank......

Originally posted by hagenuk
    You can get a international bank draft in US$ from local bank......
    How much do i have to pay?

8 bucks I think.

You can walk to any local banks and apply for a telegraphic transfer (TT) in US$. Typically UOB/DBS will charge you about S$40 if you are UOB/DBS account holder, more if you are not. And the receiving person will also need to pay their local bank some charge to collect the TT, roughly US$20 in most countries. It is not cheap but it is secure, or you can risk your hard earn $ in those money changer eg at Marine Parade. (in case you not aware, there was a money changer who cheated the poor Chinese workers S$8million some time back, by promising them he would TT the money to China but he never did.)

Blog Entries

Money Order, Bank Draft and TT are quite different from each other - well, actually MO and BD are similiar.

For TT, you need to know the beneficiaries name, address and bank account information - to send money via TT, the charges are quite reasonable, example to send $1000 back to Malaysia cost $10 for bank charges and $8 for wire fees. Believe this may vary for other countries but should not be that much. Also, the beneficiary (recipient) does not have to pay anything on their side.

MO is only available to certain countries (checked with Singpost) unfortunately US is not one of them.

BD are available from certain post offices (didnt check which ones, call 1605 if you really want to know), and all banks. For BD and MO, I believe you just have to provide the beneficiaries name on the BD/MO. Don't really have much more info on BD/MO but i remember back when I was studying, always eagerly awaiting letter from parents hoping there's a BD inside

For more information on sending money, here is UOB's rates:-
    UOB Account and Remittance Fees - CLICK ME!!

How about using paypal? Can pay through credit card, right?
    DR KOH KHO KING

Default Re: Sending Money order in US$$

Originally posted by isomers007
    Hi,

Anyone knows of any place where I can send money order in US dollars oevrseas?? Called up Singapost but they only deal in S$.
    I can't answer your questions specifically, however I can give you a few tips to make the process less painful.

Be prepared to shop around the various banks to find one that has a branch in the country you will be sending the money order to. This will greatly speed up the process of having the money order cleared when it's cashed by the recepient.

If it is a payment for an online auction and you have a valid credit card then check www.bidpay.com to see if you can use their services.

International Telegraphic Transfer. The fastest method, depending on where the money is being sent you may or may not have to pay additional fees for deposit in to the bank at the other end. Fees vary from one bank to another so it's worth seeing who's got the best deal.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

no credit card.....so cannot pay thru paypal *unless someone can use their credit card to pay thru paypal for me?*

Originally posted by isomers007
    no credit card.....so cannot pay thru paypal *unless someone can use their credit card to pay thru paypal for me?*
    ask around...your parents...relatives...friends..i am sure someone will be able to help u

esp when the amount is small, not worth to send thru the bank

or u can try put the $$ in envelope and send if it is just a few dollars?

many years ago, i bought a bank draft from DBS bank and the value is only US$13...and i have to paid another S$25-30 to the bank too

in the end, the bank draft bounced back cos they say they dun accept bank draft from DBS bank
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

To go american express branch in singapore, check their website for address. Then either purchase a american express gift checks or money order. Both can be bought at a super cheap rate.
    Canon Lover :)

What about Western Union Money transfer?

sending money oversea, if use WU, no way you can get your money back. So be careful...
    DR KOH KHO KING

Midnight
    Guests

SingPost sells international bank drafts (IBDs) in a few foreign currencies, including US$. I believe these are actually Citibank bank drafts, but the cost is fairly reasonable (can't remember now... something like S$5 or S$10). I sent one denominated in Canadian dollars to Canada a couple of months ago as payment for an online purchase, no problems at all. Check their web site for a list of post offices that sell IBDs.