Thread: how to deal with sticky handgrip?

Default how to deal with sticky handgrip?

I just bought a F100 online, but after I received the camera, I found out that the grip is a bit sticky. so I wonder is there any methods to get rid of sticky handgrip? I wonder NSC still have the part for changing the grip?

Default Re: how to deal with sticky handgrip?

you'll probably need to get the grip replaced. don't think there's any other fix to the sticky grip (apart from removing it altogether). give nsc a call, they still carry the rubber for the f5 so i'll not be surprised if they still carry the f100 rubber. alternatively, you can get the rubber online to get it replaced

Any idea where to get it online? I think i need to replace my d300 grip too...

can check out ebay as they do sell the f100 grip. for d300, why not bring it down to nsc? ebay may not be that much cheaper

I used "Goo-gone" and it helps. Not sure if there is any side effect.

have replaced the rubber grips on my D700 at NSC. It costs about $50+ and comes in a set. ie, all 4 rubber pieces will have to be replaced at the same time. If they still have stock for the F100, and for the D300, I imagine it'd be the same.

Had my viewfinder cleaned for free there too. And the hot chocolate is amazing. Ohhhhh the hot chocolate.

edit: just fyi, its just a simple double sided tape behind the grips. If you're able to purchase online and clean the residual tape off, go for it. I don't trust myself which is why I went to NSC. took about an hour.
    Last edited by nickzkcin; 8th March 2012 at 04:26 PM.
    Team FX Nikon
    Pet peeve: The word is 'lens', not 'len'

u may wanna use mild soap & warm water to clean the rubber on your d300. The previous time I did that, it helped for a couple of months until one day, the rubber came off and I had no choice but to bring it to NSC to get it replaced. Can't remb how much I paid but it wasn't too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by nickzkcin View Post
    have replaced the rubber grips on my D700 at NSC. It costs about $50+ and comes in a set. ie, all 4 rubber pieces will have to be replaced at the same time. If they still have stock for the F100, and for the D300, I imagine it'd be the same.

Had my viewfinder cleaned for free there too. And the hot chocolate is amazing. Ohhhhh the hot chocolate.

edit: just fyi, its just a simple double sided tape behind the grips. If you're able to purchase online and clean the residual tape off, go for it. I don't trust myself which is why I went to NSC. took about an hour.
    I had my D1 rubber changed a few months ago, so there should not be any problem with your F100. Had my sensor cleaned (free) and NPS members enjoy discounts on service fees.

Yes, the hot chocolate is superb.
    Inferiority Complex Behavior Signature: A900.D3x.M9..I have this and that blah blah...

i changed one piece beside the LCD, it cost only 3 dollars :P
    D90|10-24mm f3.5-4.5G|70-300mm VR f/4.5-5.6G|18-105mm VR f/3.5-5.6G|35mm f/1.8|SB700|MB-D80

cleaning with vert slightly damp cloth may help. A little jonson wax sprayed on a dry cloth and might polishing is another

update: quoted from NSC, replacement of the handgrip around 60++. while if including general servicing, will be about 200, I wonder what kind of general service is this, so expensive...does anyone know what is included in the term "general service"?

It's great that you can still replace, I had a film slr, they told me stock for the grip, I scrapped it.
    D3 D800 RX-1 X100 E-M5 My flickr

short term, you can try some applying some moisturizer....discovered it by mistake.

Long term, just get it changed at NSC or buy the parts to change it yourself.