Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SCV Maxonline - Should I jump ship?

sometimes may be router problem. my dlink di-624+ was rebooting itself with increasing frequency over the past 6 months. finally switched to a netgear router and now all is well.

Quote Originally Posted by ninelives
    goering, may i know what is your main reason of having broadband? Download? surfing?play game? streaming??

Is you download speed getting slower lately? Is your connection becoming problematic nowaday?
    My download speed has been stable - at times it can get very slow and problematic but by and large, it is fine. However, I must add that compared to its heydays (before Starhub took control), SCV's current speeds is a far cry

Main reason for broadband? Mainly download and surfing with light gaming. The other alternative to broadband is actually not cheap - if you spend many hours on a 56K, you can end up paying a lot - not to mention hogging the telephone line.

was on starhub, 1500
    contracted ended recently and the lastest promo now is the printer, didn;t like it and they offered to give me 2 month free for a contract and i took it....
    i suppose too lazy to change provider and with the 2 month rbates, its like a ave of $10 discount per month so not too bad.....,
    so try calling them and get them to give u something when your contract has ended .....

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs
    $552/mth? or $52/mth? $552 like daylight robbery leh
    sorry, typo mistake, too angry liao.
    It should be $52. And now Pacnet 512 seems to be slower than it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by codling
    have been an SCV subscriber before they merge with Starhub...contract with them ended subsequently (about early this year) and while they were trying to attract new customers with free WiFi modem setup, i didnt get any for renewing my contract. all i got was a crummy modem from motorola.
    My previous contract ended first week of Aug 2004. That time Starhub was having the MOL3K Wireless Promotion... and I managed to avail of it.

Looks like you got a raw deal.

sometimes at night, the connection would periodically get cut. and this would go on intermittenly...like every 15min block, 2mins would have no access...and the cycle repeats....its highly irritating when u have a reseach paper to rush out....
    In my case, after I availed of the wireless promotion, I encountered a rather high rate of disconnection (even after I upgraded the firmware and all that). 'Twas like 1 or 2 connection drops every hour (Worst still, I had to restart the router by powering it off then on again). I tried wireless and wired-to-the-router config and it was all the same. After I reverted to a direct connection, I never had a single disconnection ever since.

Oh.. that reminds me I had to RMA the dlink wireless router.

:Later,

Angry

i am on direct connection....

yup think i got conned...as i m from the so called first few batch of SCV subscribers....when my bro asked them for the WiFi set up as a freebie for continuing with them, they said," sorry, you are not StarHub subscriber....the contract for your case is not known as a renew, but rather a new customer of Starhub maxonline...you belong to scv..."
    knowing my bro who has written in to SCV complaining about their connection down time, i dont think he took it lying down....
    my guess was that the fella at the other end of the phone refuses to budge...the next best thing was for us to take the crummy modem.
    at that time, maxonline was one of the cheapest...
    so a bit L L...

*c*

Actually, what I feel is, internet connections in SG are really sucky. Especially after I came back from overseas. Somehow I get the feeling that ISPs in SG are just trying to suck consumers dry before they actually upgrade their subscriptions plans. What I'm paying for a 384kbps ADSL connection now is what people pay for a 1.5Mbps connection in Taiwan. And get this, they don't even have plans for 256, 384 or even 512kbps connections there now. The default plans are 1M, 1.5M or 2M. And I read somewhere in the news couple of weeks back, they are intend to make the whole Taipei city wireless.... big project siah.

Quote Originally Posted by Prismatic
    Actually, what I feel is, internet connections in SG are really sucky. Especially after I came back from overseas. Somehow I get the feeling that ISPs in SG are just trying to suck consumers dry before they actually upgrade their subscriptions plans. What I'm paying for a 384kbps ADSL connection now is what people pay for a 1.5Mbps connection in Taiwan. And get this, they don't even have plans for 256, 384 or even 512kbps connections there now. The default plans are 1M, 1.5M or 2M. And I read somewhere in the news couple of weeks back, they are intend to make the whole Taipei city wireless.... big project siah.
    eh what do you expect? this is singapore you know the mantra is make money while the sun shines.

I am using Starhub Maxonline. The connection seems to be fast and constant. Both my download and upload are fast.

Thumbs up for Starhub

Deregistered

i'm wondering if the "sign on for 1 year, we'll give you two months free" contract is feasible for me or not. just had a starhub telemarketer calling me about a week back over this....

personally, i dont think i'll switch away from cable modem, since i like the simplicity of a NIC plug and play instead of plug and pray...

Quote Originally Posted by goering
    I have been a "loyal" SCV Maxonline subscriber since 2001, but I am beginning to feel that loyalty has no benefits. All that I get are some worthless SCV points

The ISPs appear to be targetting and rewarding new subscribers far more than those who stayed. Recently I am attracted by the Singnet promotion of the 1500 kbps unlimited with a free Ipod mini http://www.singnet.com.sg/promotions/promo_detail1b.asp

As the minimum contract is 2 years, and the price will revert back to $84 after the 2 years from the $68.25, that will be a perfect time to jump to another ISP which I am sure will offer freebies for new subscribers

My feeling is that the ISPs are just promoting people to jump from one ISP to another. It seems that it pays to do so - if you do not mind the additional efforts

Currently I'm paying about $59 for the 1500 SCV with nothing tangible if I stay with them for another 2 years. If I jump to Singnet, I'll have to pay roughly an extra $10 per month - which works out to around $250 for the 2 years. I'll also have to fork out another $41 for registration - but the free ipod mini costs around $430 now - so this deal is still worth it

What do you all think?
    Hello,
    Other than the freebies, MaxOnline 1500 is having only 16kbs upload speed and I believe Singnet 1500 is having 32kbs upload. Therefore if you really need faster upload speed, Singnet 1500 or MaxOnline 3000 will be a better choice.

noticed this thread because of onestoptakeaway's recent reply...
    hmm... somehow I don't get the problem that you people are facing with the ISPs regarding contracts.

I'm a SingNet 512K user and everytime my contract is nearing it's end, I'm sure to get a personal call from one of the customer service officers to ask if I want to extend my contract. Been like this twice.
    And I pay S$63/month for the service.

I'm actually intending to upgrade my plan too, but I'm waiting to see what freebies I'm gonna get this time round when my contract ends around mid-year.

using pacnet unlimited 512k.

a) there are no points, scv got points, at least can get tangs voucher every now and then.
    b) I'm on "promo/contract" rate of 57.75 incl gst
    c) recontracting means I get 2 months free only (ie: discount of 115.5)
    d) I fuxxing move house and they charge me $70 relocation fee, (and singtel charge me $30 relocation fee). grr, if my contract end I'd just terminate both and sign up again (then got termination fee)... singapore competition is like shite.
    ---
    however, pacnet's cable 1500 is at $58.80, and signing up a new 512k unlimited at 57.75 gets you a $299 lg phone at no contract (can resell mah.) or a wireless G adsl modem

---
    I'm thinking though of "upgrading" to pacnet's cable modem service instead, anyone knows what's the upload cap limit?

reason, so that I can drop my land phone line altogether, no point paying singtel what I never use.

Quote Originally Posted by codling
    have been an SCV subscriber before they merge with Starhub...contract with them ended subsequently (about early this year) and while they were trying to attract new customers with free WiFi modem setup, i didnt get any for renewing my contract. all i got was a crummy modem from motorola.

sometimes at night, the connection would periodically get cut. and this would go on intermittenly...like every 15min block, 2mins would have no access...and the cycle repeats....its highly irritating when u have a reseach paper to rush out....
    I got the same problem too but after trouble shooting, it seems that the SCV connection is there but only that URL are not able to convert to DNS which can be software problem or router's problem. Try, going to Start, Run, CMD and ping some know DNS when you encounter the same problem again. If you can ping DNS but unable to ping URL than it quite confirm that it has nothing to with SCV Connection. Try calling 1633 and their technical help are pretty good too.

Basically, to what I know MaxOnline 1500 means download speed 1500 divided by 8 (some MB conversion) = 187.5 kbs max. and upload speed is 128 divided by 8 = 16kbs max MaxOnline 3000 will be DL - 3000 divided by 8 = 375kbs and UL - 256 divided by 8 = 32kbs. This will also means that Singnet is having similar speed calculation as well but probably more of their plans will have UL - 32kbs instead of 16kbs. I was told that upload speed of 256/8 = 32kbs is S'pore max and I think the info is quite accurate because I'm using NetLimiter to do tracking too.

The above info might not totally correct and I would strongly suggest that anyone should confirm specs with Service Provider before deciding to subscribed for any Plans.

Phildate
    Guests

I have been with Singnet for over four years. Everytime my two year contract is up and they want to charge me more, a simple phone call seems to ensure that the plan reverts back to 'startup' prices and this time, I was able to get the Ipod mini as well.

Have to say I have no complaints with Singnet (although I hear plenty of people complain about Singtel).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12