Thread: What's the best way to get to Macau from Hong Kong?

Default What's the best way to get to Macau from Hong Kong?

Can someone let me know the best and cheapest way to get to Macau from Hong Kong. I will be staying at Tsimshatsui, Kowloon and will want to visit Macau for a day trip. Thanks.

you could take the ferry from Hong Kong Island side. Think there're 6 every hour.

I don't have exact info though but if you could also ask the HK Tourist Association at Star Ferry terminal at Tsimshatsui.

Yep. Sounds about right. I think you can catch the ferry/hovercraft (there are several different companies) from HK island side. China ferry terminal or something like that if I'm not wrong. Quite a lot of trips a day...like going to bintan from singapore. Just check with your hotel. They should know the timing.

Quote Originally Posted by funtasy
    Can someone let me know the best and cheapest way to get to Macau from Hong Kong. I will be staying at Tsimshatsui, Kowloon and will want to visit Macau for a day trip. Thanks.
    By ferry is most convenient and best. There are 2 ferry terminal at Tsimshatsui area with a few ferry services running. I just hopped onto a taxi and told the driver to bring to to the nearer one. Different ferry services charge prices for different times. Cheaper during daytime.

You can pay by visa, at least at the HK side if I remember correctly.

On the Macau side, they have a funny/flexible queue system. If you book say midnight ferry back, you can actually leave on the 11pm service if there is berth space. However you have to join a queue system at the appropriate 'gate' - you can ask around which gate is for which leaving time. Do check the time for the last service and you can book a ticket for your return trip upon your arrival. Less stressful this way as you tour Macau.

It is actually cheaper to stay in Macau. Worth one night stay IMHO. Otherwise leave very early and return late. The bus system is cheap and plentiful at the ferry terminal to bring you to town. Plenty of limo service sharks to sell you all kind of tours that you will not need. DIY is best to see Macau - get map and info from the ferry terminal info counter.

When your return to HK, taxis are easy to flag down to bring you back to the hotel. Try to take it on the correct side of the road - otherwise the route can be a lot longer.

Thanks to everyone here for the very informative replies.