Thread: jammed hood on my 300 F4 lens

Default jammed hood on my 300 F4 lens

Hi. Wonder if anyone can help me with this. I dropped the 300mm F4 lens attached on D7000. It fell on the hood and the hood is now jammed and cannot retract. Only fell from hip height as I had it on strap on my shoulder when I slipped on wet stairs by the river in Bali two weeks ago. Could not loosen it with pliers. Tried gently knocking it loose too. Nikon service centre wants to charge me $600 to repair it; to change the metal front part of the lens which has the mating hood thread which they say is cracked, and the hood. Its a bit much to pay. This hood, even brand new is very jammy and difficult to loosen even when it has had a slight knock. But of course Nikon won't let me claim under warranty. I tried that. The pictures still look fine as far as I can tell. Has anyone had this problem and what did you do? Btw I am a birdwatcher who takes record shots with this set up. Right now I am in India just going to use it with this jammed hood but it does not feel good. Thanks for any advice.

Default Re: jammed hood on my 300 F4 lens

if it is jam that have to get fix. if you manage to free it then chances are you cannot get it back again. that amount of cash is not small but certainly if you want to repair it the proper way then prepare to pay the price! if you experiment thinking to save cash maybe in the end you end up spending more la.

There are 2 types of 300mm F4. One is AF (no built-in motor) while the other one is AF-S (with built-in motor). For AF-S type, you need to remove the first glass element to remove the hood, then you can knock into shape or buy a replacement. Since the hood is stuck, removing the hood may not be so simple. It may require require special tools.
    It would be better if you can post a picture of the damaged portion of the lens
    9815-1974
    FB: Hilos Camera Repair

Thanks, Pitbull and Fatigue. I have finally got to the internet. Unfortunately the problem has been overtaken by events. On the second day of my 3 week trip, the lens busted. One of the lens elements came loose and is clunking around inside the barrel. I am really quite fed up with Nikon service centre for not warning me about this, and that such a small fall can destroy the lens. Lesson learnt is not to embark on trips without equipment in top condition. But repair would have taken 4 weeks, and I have learnt the 300mm lens is no longer in stock, maybe out of production.

Quote Originally Posted by gerardbr View Post
    ............. It fell on the hood and the hood is now jammed and cannot retract. Only fell from hip height......... I am in India just going to use it with this jammed hood but it does not feel good. Thanks for any advice.

Quote Originally Posted by gerardbr View Post
    ..... On the second day of my 3 week trip, the lens busted. One of the lens elements came loose and is clunking around inside the barrel. I am really quite fed up with Nikon service centre for not warning me about this, and that such a small fall can destroy the lens.......

Hi,
    I believe you are highly aware that the D7000 and the 300mm lens are sensitive precision optical and electronic gears, and not an indestructable 'G-Shock' equipment and dropping from hip level, approx. 1 mtr, is definitely NOT A LOW height with 2kg+ of gears, it can even fracture your toes!!! Sure these equipments are able to take vibrations and lots of bumps, but 0.8-1m drop height is far from just 'small fall'.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be a nitpicker, but though I had some lousy encounters with NSC before, but I find that your statement ' I am really quite fed up with Nikon service centre for not warning me about this', is highly unjust. Did they actually open up and inspect your lens or superficially? It is YOUR CHOICE to continue using, it's YOUR DECISION since you know best as the lens is in your hands........... and if the loosen part start to scratch the barrels or even go into the optical lenses and start scratching them, resulting in more severe damage, ........you gonna blame NSC further?

....I think you're matured and wiser than that!

I am just being straight forward and sincere apologies, in advance, if you feel offended or not, perhaps the Coolpix AW for can withstand your your handling and fulfill your expectation better?

Peace!
    What I really missed most, is my first SLR. An Olympus OM2 with the Zuiko 35mm f/1.4, back in 1982!

close thread