Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: m4/3 system vs Nex system vs DSLR

Default Re: m4/3 system vs Nex system vs DSLR

Quote Originally Posted by fringster0 View Post
    Stuck: I know that for cameras, the prices varies for each kind of lens. I mean it in absolute dollars kind of way. Ha ha, poor man here. Cheers..
    I totally understand you're looking to save money hence doing your due diligence in terms of research. I went thru the same phase as you too. I got my first dSLR when I was just a poor graduate student that just got married too. The very definition of POOR... haha!

The point most of us who've posted here on this thread is to share our experience, no more no less. Its certainly not our intention to start another brand war. I also believe most of us would agree that buying a camera is not abt the best or cheapest body alone, the same is true for lenses. You have to consider the system as a whole, and whether it fits your needs/wants and budget. Buying into a system because they supposedly have the most pro bodies & widest lens selection may not necessarily be the best fit if you're just an enthusiast with relatively lower demands on your gear. The opposite is also true in that just because a particular system has a really cheap lens at your favourite focal length doesn't mean it'll work for you if you have to buy a more expensive body in order for the lens to AF for example.

Speaking from my personal experience of being a penny pinching student who just wanted to buy a cheap camera with fast autofocus so as to take pictures of my hyperactive dog. I was initially considering just buying a prosumer compact as I was totally clueless abt camera settings, lenses etc. But with more research I found that for ~$800 (which is only slightly more expensive than the high end prosumers I was considering at the time) I could get an entry level dSLR kit. The fact that it had superb high iso capabilities, a sensor with great dynamic range, inbuilt shake-reduction & can operate ALL AF lenses ever made for the brand just sealed the deal for me. Since then, I've also added a 50mm macro lens, a 55-300mm kit lens, a third party 10-20mm lens & a fast 35mm prime (all bought second hand from BNS ) - all for well under $3000.

Photography is not a cheap hobby as I'm sure you've realised by now... spend your hard earned money wisely! good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    My point, which I think I did not make clear, is that everyone has their own wants and needs. I said that pancake lenses work better for MILC cameras. I maintain that stand. However I did not make it clear that when I said I preferred bulkier lenses, it was because I use a DSLR system, not a mirrorless system. I think that was where you thought I contradicted myself.

For me, as far as image quality is concerned, I believe all brands would work for me. Give me Sony or Pentax I also can produce the images I produce with my Nikon. But I choose to value the interface over any other factors, as it is something that can be easily differentiated across different brands. I can get used to other brands, but ultimately, the Nikon system would be the most comfortable system for me. I would be able to change settings faster and get the effects I want faster. Someone else might be slower with the Nikon but faster with the Pentax. I recognise that. But I like to have a fluid experience when I use my system, I don't want to "get used to" or use workarounds to get the effects I want.

I see where you are going; you are saying that Pentax system has cheap legacy lenses as well as a unique range of compact primes with superior build quality, and has in body image stabilisation. Those are the key selling points of the Pentax system, and those are also the factors you consider to be important to you. However, those are not my priorities, and that is why I did not choose to buy into the Pentax system. They are very tempting, especially with the low price of the K5, but I still will not choose it over my current system.

Again, my point here is that the TS must decide what factors are important to him. If portability is a concern, a m4/3 system or the NEX system is definitely the way to go. You don't just say that you use some form of workaround to make his wife more comfortable with the DSLR system, like getting her to lift weights so she will get used to the size and weight of a D3s.
    I can't speak for pinholecam.. but IMHO even though it is true that a m4/3 or NEX system has the advantage in terms of portability, with the compact size of Pentax primes the TS can have his cake & eat it too if he was willing to consider the newly released Pentax K-01 MILC. The K-01 is slightly bulkier than your average MILC, but has the advantage of being able to use all K-mount optics natively without adaptors i.e. with shake-reduction & AF to boot, hence making it the MILC with the largest selection of native glass in the market. Paired with the very compact primes, the whole package will not be much heavier or bulkier than the average m4/3/NEX system. Definitely no weight lifting required!

Besides, if the TS decided to "upgrade" to a dSLR later on for whatever reason, he can continue using the very same lenses he bought for the K-01 - two systems, one set of lenses - the ultimate proposition for the thrifty photographer!

I guess if TS wants decent image quality and light weight. DSLR or even DSLT is out of the question. No matter how light a Sony DSLT is or how small Pentax primes is. We don't know whether TS and his lady will be comfortable with primes. If not, attach a zoom lens on a DSLT or DSLR and hold for a while, sure feel the weight.

I would advise TS to get the upcoming olympus EM-5 or the current Panasonic G3. Nex series might be a good options too. But, their lens line up and road map is crap. For autofocus, Panasonic and olympus models wins.

TS,
    From your questions, I think you already are more inclined towards DSLR.
    I uses M4/3 and enjoyed it. DSLR is bulkier, no doubt about it. But for all rounder, DSLR is for you at this moment. There are some good budget tele-zooms suitable for sports. As for sports etc, don''t depend entirely of the AF speed or FPS, it's the photographer anticipation that is more important. Know hwat u what to take and predict the subject next move is more important.

For me, NEX is still not in my choice due to the lens selections. This is my own view. NEX Fanboys please dun attack me. But Sony DSLR system, can go for it.
    Last edited by JW73; 9th March 2012 at 09:04 AM.

Ha ha, tks stuck. You just proposed a new alternative.
    But just to to clarify everyone, I am not really into high speed sports photography. Its jus that my son is in primary sch so I anticipate that there will be sports meet, eca so I looking for a camera that will enable me to catch my boy in this kind of situation. Thanks.

get the ep3...
    sport meets, the dual lenses kit with the 40-150 should b a good choice.

the oly om-d is probably over ur budget.
    Stirring up emotions with pics - cyliew

For your needs, the OMD is overkill and i think you'll be very happy with the EP3/gx1. If your wife is going to be using the camera, i think she might find a dslr too bulky to handle

Ha ha, the latest update. Yesterday we went to the it show. After walking around and playing with the various system a bit. My lady decided that either nex and m4/3 is the systems. I fiddled with both nex7 and omd5. Personally with my limited knowledge I can't really test out the 2 cameras much. But i find autofocus is faster and colour is more vibrant for omd5.

Noinimod, ijnek: I will be using the camera for long time unless it got spoilt so I guess I won't mind it being a overkill as the latest technology now will become old also by the time I decide to change or upgrade. Ha ha.
    Plus I be using installment, so omd5 still within budget.

For knowledge and interest sake, noinimod, why omd5 is an overkill? From its specs, I saw that its fps its higher which is good for fast action right? Cos I am a bit inclined towards omd. (*^_^*)

For knowledge and interest sake, noinimod, why omd5 is an overkill? From its specs, I saw that its fps its higher which is good for fast action right? Cos I am a bit inclined towards omd. (*^_^*)
    Because it is a premium m43 camera and you pay quite a hefty premium for features that maybe you dont really need. If you can justify that extra price over gx1 and ep3 class cameras, then definitely go ahead. Cost of omd kit can get a gx1 with a nice fast prime lens like the 20mm 1.7.

Anyway since the camera is not properly released yet, no one still has any good idea how well it tracks moving subjects. I will be very excited to see if it does. Olympus release a video touting the AF tracking ability, but it's not very convincing when they use a ballerina dancing. I think if high speed action is very important to you, you might be better off with a d7k

if u buy the om-d now, u can get it by 3rd week of april. tat was wat i was told.
    u can jus go to courts n harvey norman to pre-order instead of joinin the mad rush.
    pre-order now and u can opt for a 32g sd card or the mmf3 adaptor.
    personally, i find the mmf3 adaptor a better deal and with it, ur lenses choices expand more cos u can use 4/3 lenses as well

if u r gettin the om-d, opt for the 12-50 lense, then u hv a weather sealed body n lense
    Stirring up emotions with pics - cyliew

Quote Originally Posted by noinimod View Post
    Because it is a premium m43 camera and you pay quite a hefty premium for features that maybe you dont really need. If you can justify that extra price over gx1 and ep3 class cameras, then definitely go ahead. Cost of omd kit can get a gx1 with a nice fast prime lens like the 20mm 1.7.

Anyway since the camera is not properly released yet, no one still has any good idea how well it tracks moving subjects. I will be very excited to see if it does. Olympus release a video touting the AF tracking ability, but it's not very convincing when they use a ballerina dancing. I think if high speed action is very important to you, you might be better off with a d7k
    If AF speed + small sized body is really that important, the Nikon 1 system can also be considered. It's quite expensive compared to the other mirrorless options though, and it doesn't have that many lenses, unless you want to use Nikon F mount lenses, which not many are really that small, especially when you compare them to the 4/3 or Pentax pancakes.

Noinimid: Could i put it like this, if i buy the omd5, i would be buying something akin to like paying premium for a less heavy system DSLR style?
    Brapodam: Weight would be the most important. I also find that nikon mirriorless are more expensive.

FPS of almost all advanced cameras nowadays is enough.
    4-6 fps is plenty
    The more important aspect are technique and AF.

I have a m4/3 system (G3).
    AF is fast (they claim fastest, but Olympus also claims theirs is fastest)
    note: their small print states very specific test conditions only, so to me all sales gimmick
    Just take it that they are pretty fast and comparable to most DSLRs.

You have to think through what is your budget.
    If not you may end up stretching it to get a expensive model like OM-D, then finding out that you need faster lenses and flash, plus accessories.
    You need a dry cabinet too.

OM-D is expected to be good, but nothing is for sure, since the model is not on the hands of most folks other than evaluators.
    There is no such thing as overkill, but I think what is meant is whether you need the functions and also pay the high end price.
    For example, a G3 most likely uses the same 16mp sensor, also comes with EVF and fast focus (though the OM-D is touted as faster), comes with a swivel screen and is only a fraction of the OM-D's price at ~$700.
    Main Differences : Oly JPG o/p; IBIS
    Here is what photographer Kirk Tuck has to say on this camera :
    The Visual Science Lab / Kirk Tuck: A small camera I've been playing with. Yesterday. Panasonic G3. The pre-OM-D.

Of course there is the EPL3, EP3 and GX1, GH2 too.

Personally, I find that m4/3 needs their good fast primes to really shine as a system (there is a good choice of such primes for focal lengths from WA to short tele)
    IMO, due to their poorer sensor performance at higher ISO, slow zooms just make the camera use such high ISO in more situations, degrading IQ.
    Last edited by pinholecam; 10th March 2012 at 01:27 PM.

That's why i said, "for his needs, it's overkill". Thanks for re-iterating the point

First of all ask urself this, if u are doing auto for ur camera then don bother buying any but until u want to spent time doing photography get a DSLR .. I got a Ep3 (Love it along with my 8,12,45,135mm lens) for travelling which could be quite often and a 60D for sport,macro and fireworks (Love it along with my 100mm, 11-16mm, 17-50mm, 70-300mm L lens) ..
    If the photo i took is 1% unclear, I will rather delete .. www.flickr.com/photos/59837685@N03/

Quote Originally Posted by fringster0
    Noinimid: Could i put it like this, if i buy the omd5, i would be buying something akin to like paying premium for a less heavy system DSLR style?
    Brapodam: Weight would be the most important. I also find that nikon mirriorless are more expensive.
    OMD-5 has highest specs compared to nearest entry dslr or even latest olympus pen ep3, also a m43 camera.
    -weatherproof which u only find in full frame camera cost few times more...
    - best 5 axis(used to be 2 directional) in body image stabilizer, all other mirrorless are lens stabilise and not 5 axis. There's pros and cons of in body and lens. this latest innovation seems to be very good.
    - built in evf, one of the advantage of evf is possibility to magnify image, which ovf you can't and there's much improved functionalities as well.

The "premium" you said really depends on your needs. m43 still has the most native small lenses which some are of extremely good optics, which is hard or not available in other mirrorless formats...

To name a few:
    Panasonic 7-14F4 ultra wide $1.2k, 20/1.7 $530, 25/1.4 $800, 45/2.8 macro $900
    Olympus 12f2 $1.1k, 45/1.8 $420,

The 20mm and 45mm being most popular due to the excellent sharpness weight and size and price .

there's not excellent telephoto zooms yet, though there are a few good ones like 45_200, 100-300 and 75-300.

For ultra portability there's 14-42 x kit pancake lens as well which is extremely small!

A few more in roadmap, pany 12-35 f2.8, 35-100 f2.8 and Olympus 60/2.8 and 75/1.8.

You can take a look at 43 forum gallery to see IQ from some of these lenses or even join an outing. Good luck and have fun.
    Last edited by wonglp; 10th March 2012 at 03:41 PM.

You are welcome

Some of the ongoing image threads for m43

Panasonic

Olympus

I have one on traveling with pen

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast