Thread: Newbie batt grip help

Default Newbie batt grip help

Hi all,

I'm new to photography and just got my first dslr less than a month ago. After some random shooting sessions and getting to know more about the camera, i wanted a battery grip so that portrait mode shooting can be done comfortably. Being a student and wanting to save some money, I bought a used original canon battery grip from a person in this forum today. Battery grip as stated in the thread was mint condition bought a month ago. During the deal he installed the battery grip for me and showed me that it's working. After seeing that I checked the physical condition of the battery grip, found scratches so he gave me a discount and bought it from him. I checked it again when I reached home and realised that the camera couldnt commnicate with the left slot from the grip, battery level couldnt be shown. I did some research on the net and found out some others have this battery communication problem too. I tried both original and third party battteries but only works on the right slot. I asked him if he knew about it and he said yes and told me it isn't a problem and doesnt affect the performance. I asked for a return as the item isnt in the condition as stated in the thread and I wanted a perfect working grip but was rejected and ignored.

Moral of the story: buy brand new if possible.

Can this battery communication problem be solved or repaired?

Thanks in advance!

Punggol, Singapore

Default Re: Newbie batt grip help

sorry to hear that,

don't think anyone here can communicate with your battery grip to know what happen to him?

so no harm bringing it together with your camera to Canon service center to find out right?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot | iStock portfolio

Default Re: Newbie batt grip help

The communication error lies in the damaged pins.. but not sure how to fix it..
    I bought a 3rd party batt grip for my nikon d90. Safer compare to a 2nd hand I think..