Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nearsight, farsight & estig, which to correct in contact lens when viewing viewfinder

Default Nearsight, farsight & estig, which to correct in contact lens when viewing viewfinder

i am going to get contact lens prescription to replace my glasses when using veiwfinder. i have all the above 3 conditions on my both eyes and power are identical too, near -2.25, astig -1.25 & (lao hua, presbyopia) +1.25. my understanding is viewfinder image & info appears as infinity.

so am i correct to buy contact lens with correction to nearsight & astig only. i dont want to make mistake as i need to buy 4boxes to get discount and end up going to waste $

btw i have did some research and still unsure the understanding correct since all the articles i came across only mentioned they either nearsight w/wo estig or farsight and no one mentioned anything of having the 3 conditions togather.

TIA
    Last edited by niccon2; 6th March 2012 at 08:46 AM.

Default Re: Nearsight, farsight & estig, which to correct in contact lens when viewing viewfi

http://www.lens101.com/general-eye-h...r-sighted.html there are people with the same problem.

Isn't it better to just forgo the discount and make the priority in taking care of your eyes instead? Or buy more boxes, 4ea if they have to be similar.
    Last edited by foxtwo; 3rd March 2012 at 09:14 PM.

Default Re: Nearsight, farsight & estig, which to correct in contact lens when viewing viewfi

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo View Post
    [URL]
    Isn't it better to just forgo the discount and make the priority in taking care of your eyes instead? Or buy more boxes, 3ea.
    sorry, i dont get you here. i always used glasses with only nearsight & astig correction in the past and i face no issue to my eyes. only in the recent year, i spent over thousand of dollar on a pair of progressive transition glass (haha.. in the end i still prefer to take off my glasses and place paper close to my eye to read ).

What's the condition with your left eye? And what's the condition with the right? And which eye do you use to look through the viewfinder?

Why not let the optician recommend you one? I have minor astig but the optician say I just need to get contacts for myopia, no need for astig.

Virtual distance for viewfinders is normally set at 1m, not infinity. The diopter correction available on most DSLRs gives you quite a lot of adjustment over this (at least 0.5m to infinity). Have you tried using your cam's viewfinder without specs or contact lenses? Should be within range cause your short- and long-sightedness aren't that bad. Won't correct for astigmatism of course, but then again yours doesn't sound too severe.
    Before I got my progressives I used my DSLR with specs that corrected only for shortsightedness and astigmatism, although I had already developed some longsightedness. If you still have your old (non-progressive) specs, you can get an idea of what using the contacts would be like. I believe you shouldn't have any real issues.
    More info at:
    http://www.dougkerr.net/Pumpkin/arti...Correction.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo View Post
    What's the condition with your left eye? And what's the condition with the right? And which eye do you use to look through the viewfinder?
    i use left eye for the viewfinder. both eyes have the identical nearsight, (lao hua, presbyopia) & estig power. i wish to clarify that i only intend to wear during photo shoot and not everyday. thus i am buying the daily disposable for use over weekend when shooting., other days will remain using glasses.
    Last edited by niccon2; 6th March 2012 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    Why not let the optician recommend you one? I have minor astig but the optician say I just need to get contacts for myopia, no need for astig.

yup, i talk to an optometism & few shop staff and they were clueless on dslr viewfinder (think they dont use dslr). some even recommend me for multi-focal which cost a lot more. thus decided to raise the question here for proper advise.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Francis View Post
    Virtual distance for viewfinders is normally set at 1m, not infinity. The diopter correction available on most DSLRs gives you quite a lot of adjustment over this (at least 0.5m to infinity). Have you tried using your cam's viewfinder without specs or contact lenses? Should be within range cause your short- and long-sightedness aren't that bad. Won't correct for astigmatism of course, but then again yours doesn't sound too severe.
    Before I got my progressives I used my DSLR with specs that corrected only for shortsightedness and astigmatism, although I had already developed some longsightedness. If you still have your old (non-progressive) specs, you can get an idea of what using the contacts would be like. I believe you shouldn't have any real issues.
    More info at:
    http://www.dougkerr.net/Pumpkin/arti...Correction.pdf
    that is the same paper i found and read but still not very certain i have the correct understanding.

i am use canon cam, i have turned the diopter to the exterme negative (think -2) for nearsight correction while although it is clear enough but it was not as sharp as i wanted thus suspecting either estig or (lao hua, presbyopia) or both is the contributing factor to the sharpness issue.
    Last edited by niccon2; 6th March 2012 at 08:48 AM.

Go for all 3. Effectively you'll not use the cameras diopter correction, no problems while not using the camera and still be able to handle close vision during camera setting changes.

But if you want to explore. ....

Near -2.25. Far +1.25. The +/- signs correct? It's usually the other way round.

You don't have to worry about the near. The camera diopter adjustment should be able to handle the range. Even if the signs are swapped.

Astigmatism, not estig, correction is all you need. But at 1.25. I think you can live without it.

Means you can go without your glasses. But you'll have problems when not using yr camera while doing other stuff (v far) or changing your camera settings (v near).

Go for all 3. Effectively you'll not use the cameras diopter correction but no problems while not using the camera and still be able to handle close vision during camera setting changes.

Near -2.25. Far +1.25. The +/- signs correct? It's usually the other way round. thats what is rewritten on my glasses prescription

You don't have to worry about the near. The camera diopter adjustment should be able to handle the range. Even if the signs are swapped.

Astigmatism, not estig, correction is all you need. But at 1.25. I think you can live without it. oops..i mispell with e

Means you can go without your glasses. But you'll have problems when not using yr camera while doing other stuff (v far) or changing your camera settings (v near). i can go without glasses but dislike the unclear vision.

Go for all 3. Effectively you'll not use the cameras diopter correction but no problems while not using the camera and still be able to handle close vision during camera setting changes. as i mentioned in above thread : setting diopter to the exterme negative end, nearsight is almost corrected, it is clear but it was not as sharp as i wanted. i want to be sure whether estig or farsight or both is the contributing factor to lack of sharpness. if they [estig & (lao hua, presbyopia)] are not contributing factor then i will not get contact lens but if they are, i need to buy either contact lens with nearsight and estig or multi focal when farsight is included

My objective is to spend what is necessary
    Last edited by niccon2; 6th March 2012 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by niccon2 View Post
    that is the same paper i found and read but still not very certain i have the correct understanding.

i am use canon cam, i have turned the diopter to the exterme negative (think -2) for nearsight correction while although it is clear enough but it was not as sharp as i wanted thus suspecting either estig or farsight or both is the contributing factor to the sharpness issue.
    I am assuming you're shortsighted, and the long-sightedness is a more recent development (as it was for me). 2 options come to mind:

1. as I suggested earlier, try your old (non-progressive) specs. If these (correcting your myopia) work, then contacts that correct for the same myopia should work fine.

2. try the same with your progressives -- the mid to top portion of the lens is corrected for myopia. It's only the bottom, inner part that corrects for hyperopia (for reading).

To me, the most important part is to correct the astigmatism. This is causing a 'double image' in your eye, resulting in an image which is always blur. You would not be able to tell whether the image is sharp or not, regardless what you set for diopter.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Francis View Post
    I am assuming you're shortsighted, and the long-sightedness is a more recent development (as it was for me). 2 options come to mind:

1. as I suggested earlier, try your old (non-progressive) specs. If these (correcting your myopia) work, then contacts that correct for the same myopia should work fine.

2. try the same with your progressives -- the mid to top portion of the lens is corrected for myopia. It's only the bottom, inner part that corrects for hyperopia (for reading).
    yup, i tried and found astig should be the root cause.

Quote Originally Posted by niccon2

as i mentioned in above thread : setting diopter to the exterme negative end, nearsight is almost corrected, it is clear but it was not as sharp as i wanted. i want to be sure whether estig or farsight or both is the contributing factor to lack of sharpness. if they (estig & farsight) are not contributing factor then i will not get contact lens but if they are, i need to buy either contact lens with nearsight and estig or multi focal when farsight is included

My objective is to spend what is necessary
    You don't really have a choice.

If you correct for astig only: near n far vision will be slightly fuzzy. Your camera diopter can be adjusted but you get clear view only through the EVF OVF. Live view, camera setting on the LCD will be fuzzy n everything far appears fuzzy when walking around.

If you fix near n astig, the OVF EVF, live view n camera setting will be fine. But the far view will be fuzzy, that will be when you're not taking pictures.

If you fix far n astig. OVF,EVF and walking around will be fine but you can't handle live view or the camera settings.

Your choice, contacts with the works or contacts with a pair of glasses.

If you've got a pair of single vision glasses, put it on and do all 3 tasks and you'll know what I mean.

I know, I had all 3 but my left has now at perfect vision and right is only slightly off so now I can do without glasses

Quote Originally Posted by qystan View Post
    You don't really have a choice.

If you correct for astig only: near n far vision will be slightly fuzzy. Your camera diopter can be adjusted but you get clear view only through the EVF OVF. Live view, camera setting on the LCD will be fuzzy n everything far appears fuzzy when walking around.

If you fix near n astig, the OVF EVF, live view n camera setting will be fine. But the far view will be fuzzy, that will be when you're not taking pictures.

If you fix far n astig. OVF,EVF and walking around will be fine but you can't handle live view or the camera settings.

Your choice, contacts with the works or contacts with a pair of glasses.

If you've got a pair of single vision glasses, put it on and do all 3 tasks and you'll know what I mean.

I know, I had all 3 but my left has now at perfect vision and right is only slightly off so now I can do without glasses
    thanks on the details.

as i have mentioned when i turned my diopter to exterme negative end, the vision in the viewfinder i can see clearly (nearsight is corrected) but still not very sharp as compared when i have my glasses on. normally in the past i set the diopter to 0 and view through my glasses on (using the upper portion which has only nearsight & astig corrected) the view is clear & sharp enough for me. after Edwin remembered me on this with Octarine highlighting on double image, i am more certain the missing correction is astig. so i may get a contact lens with nearsight & astig corrected. alternatively, i may buy the KPS 1CCS (see below) which i am allow to insert my own lens (in this case go to optical shop to prescribe a normal glass with nearsight and astig corrected and ask them to cut to fix into 1CCS holder.

Last edited by niccon2; 4th March 2012 at 09:50 PM.

Blog Entries

great discussion for those of you wearing glasses .......those with good eyesight will never understand

featuring this thread in the Clubsnap Photography Community FB page
    ClubSNAP Photography Community | Facebook
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by niccon2

tha get a contact lens with nearsight & astig corrected. alternatively, i may buy the KPS 1CCS (see below) which i am allow to insert my own lens (in this case go to optical shop to prescribe a normal glass with nearsight and astig corrected and ask them to cut to fix into 1CCS holder.
    I may have missed something.

It's an option that will give you a clear view through the viewfinder without glasses and you'll either put on glasses between photos or you're ok with your vision without the glasses during those times.

I struggle with live view n the LCD when I take my glasses off to use the viewfinder.

i am going to get contact lens prescription to replace my glasses when using veiwfinder. i have all the above 3 conditions on my both eyes and power are identical too, near -2.25, astig -1.25 & far +1.25. my understanding is viewfinder image & info appears as infinity.

so am i correct to buy contact lens with correction to nearsight & astig only. i dont want to make mistake as i need to buy 4boxes to get discount and end up going to waste $

btw i have did some research and still unsure the understanding correct since all the articles i came across only mentioned they either nearsight w/wo estig or farsight and no one mentioned anything of having the 3 conditions togather.

TIA
    i use left eye for the viewfinder. both eyes have the identical near/far sight & estig power. i wish to clarify that i only intend to wear during photo shoot and not everyday. thus i am buying the daily disposable for use over weekend when shooting., other days will remain using glasses.
    hi, you mention "near -2.25, astig -1.25 & far +1.25". do you mean presbyopia/addition of +1.25 or your final reading power is +1.25? this two HAVE a difference in terms of optical correction.

in this case i am assuming you meant the addition of +1.25:
    here's my thoughts:
    if u corrected for myopia -2.25 n astig -1.25, looking through viewfinder n walking around would be perfect. but when you decided to view your photos / adjust menus, you will face difficulty.
    if u corrected for near (addition of +1.25), you can set your viewfinder using the optical dial and viewing your photos/menus would be perfect. but when you start walking around, you will see things blurry which will potential danger if you drive!

If yours is this case, what u can do is to get a "monovision" which means to say your left eye to get a higher power(since u shoot with left eye) and right eye to get a lower power for your near task(only apply addition of +1.25).

if i assume you meant reading power of +1.25:
    if u corrected for myopia -2.25 n astig -1.25, looking through viewfinder n walking around would be perfect. but when you decided to view your photos / adjust menus, you will face difficulty.
    if u corrected for near (reading power of +1.25), you can set your viewfinder using the optical dial and viewing your photos/menus would be perfect. when looking far would be VERY blur, and it pose danger even to yourself when trying to walk down the stairs!

Dylan

Quote Originally Posted by qystan View Post
    I may have missed something.

It's an option that will give you a clear view through the viewfinder without glasses and you'll either put on glasses between photos or you're ok with your vision without the glasses during those times.

I struggle with live view n the LCD when I take my glasses off to use the viewfinder.
    well i would rather put it this way, you are not missing something but covering all situations

i think it is something which can be very personal preference, habit, style & actual situation. i seldom have the habit of putting on glasses during home activities or travelling on public transport. the only time i put on glass is when walking on street, in front of tv or computer monitor and of course shooting. i like reading document, books & newspaper with my glasses off. thus despite i am having presbyopia of +1.25, i am currently coping quite well in operating the cam & viewing the LCD without glasses. the only hassel & issue are viewing viewfinder with my glasses on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast