Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Off camera flash

  1. #1

    Default Off camera flash

    Recently I'd order a mini 24cmx24cm soft box for my 622mkii for the intention of shooting portraits using off camera way (Situations where no light can be bounced off). I'm not sure if its a recommended way but just experimenting it since the soft box costs less than $20.

    So far I'd not seen many photographers shooting using off camera flash method, other than professional strobists. Will the mini soft box help in any ways and are there any pros and cons using this method? Other than the inconvenience of holding the flash in one hand or bringing a light stand with you.
    Last edited by scrambyjess; 3rd March 2012 at 03:02 PM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Off camera flash

    Quote Originally Posted by scrambyjess View Post
    Recently I'd order a mini 24cmx24cm soft box for my 622mkii for the intention of shooting portraits using off camera way (Situations where no light can be bounced off). I'm not sure if its a recommended way but just experimenting it since the soft box costs less than $20.

    So far I'd not seen many photographers shooting using off camera flash method, other than professional strobists. Will the mini soft box help in any ways and are there any pros and cons using this method? Other than the inconvenience of holding the flash in one hand or bringing a light stand with you.
    if you really want good lighting, off cam flash is the way to go. Even with light modifiers, on cam flash is kind of limited, because you can't have good control the directions the light is coming from.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Off camera flash

    Yes indeed I do find the we can get more creative shots using off camera flash just not sure if the 24x24 mini soft box is good enough for normal street shots.

  4. #4
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Actually a lot of hobbyists do use off camera flash. You just have to find like minded people.

    Btw 24x24 Softbox is a little small. Try looking for the 60x60cm Softbox for a start and get a couple of lightstands and at least one more flash.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 4th March 2012 at 07:49 AM.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    421

    Default Re: Off camera flash

    Hi DD..

    for your recommended setup, will it better to use manual or TTL flashes? in your opinion that is.

    Thanks in advance
    ~PeaceNoWar~

  6. #6
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Off camera flash

    softbox works best when shooting the same size of your subject, and same length (subject - softbox) as the size of softbox.
    are your only shooting 24cmx24cm area of your subject also? like into your face?
    Last edited by catchlights; 4th March 2012 at 10:24 AM.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  7. #7
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Off camera flash

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Actually a lot of hobbyists do use off camera flash. You just have to find like minded people.

    Btw 24x24 Softbox is a little small. Try looking for the 60x60cm Softbox for a start and get a couple of lightstands and at least one more flash.
    it will be very interesting to see bring a softbox with lightstand for street shooting...... lol
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  8. #8
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Off camera flash

    Quote Originally Posted by intrance View Post
    Hi DD..

    for your recommended setup, will it better to use manual or TTL flashes? in your opinion that is.

    Thanks in advance
    both manual and TTL

  9. #9
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Off camera flash

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    it will be very interesting to see bring a softbox with lightstand for street shooting...... lol
    oppsss. did not see the street part. my bad.

    For street shooting at night, my choice is not flash at all. but small hand held LED.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 4th March 2012 at 11:21 AM.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    it will be very interesting to see bring a softbox with lightstand for street shooting...... lol
    Like lightem up and shoot style.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,522

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    it will be very interesting to see bring a softbox with lightstand for street shooting...... lol
    U need to see "human light suit ", don't have the link at the moment.

  12. #12
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Off camera flash

    Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo View Post
    U need to see "human light suit ", don't have the link at the moment.
    is it something like a walking Christmas tree?

    than the first word photographer says is "Good evening earth being, I come in peace......."


    lol
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  13. #13

    Default Re: Off camera flash


  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,522

    Default Re: Off camera flash

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    is it something like a walking Christmas tree?

    than the first word photographer says is "Good evening earth being, I come in peace......."


    lol
    hahah no lah where got xmas tree.
    Human Light Suit: A One-Man Band-style Mobile Photo Studio

    more like a pair of bunny ears emitting flashes of white light.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Off camera flash

    Wow the flash pack is really extreme! But really useful if you ask me.. the reason I chose the 24x24 is because I don't wanna carry a light stand with me outdoors, kinda useless to get that small 24x24 if you ask me now, (after doing more research lately about soft box) but anywayz, since I'd already ordered, might as well play with it for a while

    Next investment shall be a real light stand an umbrella setup !

  16. #16

    Default Re: Off camera flash

    Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo View Post
    hahah no lah where got xmas tree.
    Human Light Suit: A One-Man Band-style Mobile Photo Studio

    more like a pair of bunny ears emitting flashes of white light.
    ah yes the burning man dude.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •