Thread: The passing of Eve Arnold

Default The passing of Eve Arnold

The great photographer passed away on January 4 2012 in London. She was the first woman to be a member of Magnum Agency in 1951. Eve Arnold

Born to immigrant Russian-Jewish parents in 1912, Philadelphia, she picked up photography when her boyfriend gave her a camera.

Over her glamorous career, she photographed Marlene Dietrich, Marilyn Monroe ("If you could do that well with Marlene, can you imagine what you can do with me?"), Malcom X, Elizabeth Taylor and Margaret Thatcher. She approached her photography with a compassion for her subjects, with assignments covering China, Montauk, Long Island and South Africa. After her South African trip she was sick for months and her doctor diagnosed it as heartbreak.

“I realise that I had the best of serious picture journalism. There was an innocence in our approach, especially in the 1950s and 1960s when we naively believed that by holding a mirror up to the world we could help – no matter how little – to make people aware of the human condition. Now I question whether we were a combination of voyeur and exhibitionist as well as witness and crusader,” she wrote in 1994.

Truly, I believed, with her work, she had helped to improve the human condition.

You can read more about her from these links:
    Eve Arnold: she chased the image that told the story - Telegraph
    What Eve Arnold saw -
    Eve Arnold - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    eve arnold - Google Search
    Eve Arnold's most memorable shots €“ in pictures | Art and design |
    Eve Arnold: she chased the image that told the story - Telegraph
    Last edited by An drew; 3rd March 2012 at 12:44 PM.

In a mobile cage

she was an inspiration.
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

Default Re: The passing of Eve Arnold

Magnum has this to quote attached to her:

"If a photographer cares about the people before the lens and is compassionate, much is given. It is the photographer, not the camera, that is the instrument."

Thanks to Eve, we have become the instrument!

Default Re: The passing of Eve Arnold

Last edited by An drew; 3rd March 2012 at 01:52 PM.