Thread: protrait n rule of the third

Default protrait n rule of the third

hi people. i was trying to take some protrait pics but when i was the film, i realise most of the subject is always centered. So try out rule of the third. Ending up d subject too far left or right or the subject still remain centre about shifting abit. Is rule of the third being applied in protrait taking? thanks alot.

It depends. Maybe u can post a pic, so that we can have a look & give comments.

eh....try to use the rule of thirds on the eyes....and dun square the body to the camera....do it with a slight twist of the trunk...

cheers...

Newbie here. What's the rule of the third about? Care to explain.
    Thanks.

Deregistered

Positioning the subject within 1/3 of the frame, or position the subject to cover 2/3 of the frame leaving 1/3 space.
    Last edited by espn; 12th December 2004 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by espn

Positioning the subject within 1/3 of the frame, or position the subject to cover 2/3 of the frame leaving 1/3 space.

Thanks dude.

nice rule to have, but the ultimate rule in photography is, there are no rules.....

read there somewhere. otherwise, your shots will just look too fomulated (if there's such a word)

Depending on the situation, sometimes the rule doesn't stand. In art, one doesn't always stick to rules, and photography is an ART!
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

Quote Originally Posted by Stefen
    nice rule to have, but the ultimate rule in photography is, there are no rules.....

read there somewhere. otherwise, your shots will just look too fomulated (if there's such a word)
    Rule of third is fundamental of balancing elements in composition.

And yes, rule can be broken, but before you do, first must understand what are the rules and how they work, and what you want to achieve.

Some basic photography books in National Library do explain how to apply this golden rule of third.

Hope this help.
    Last edited by catchlights; 14th December 2004 at 06:13 PM.

true.

its a good way to start, and one way to improve is to post your pictures online and allow the oldies to comment on them.

I usually off center my shots, and the one third rule will help in engaging the viewer to your picture more dramatically.

Just think of taking pictures different from everyone else, and how an often taken subject, such as the merlion could be taken beautifully at a different angle from others.

Refer to postcards, and think of how you could have improve the picture.

take them as a benchmark, not as a goal...