Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5D3 vs D800

Default Re: 5D3 vs D800

Sold D700. With 5DMk2 and lenses, my choice will be 5DMk3

With such high MP, they can afford to really crank up the noise reduction software. Losing some detail is fine because you have such high MP to begin with, as long as you don't view at 100%.

I'd be happy with either really! Haha!
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

canon is much more better in video with their DSLR, but sadly there's no HDMI uncompressed output in mk3. maybe this would affect some videographers in their decision.

Quote Originally Posted by spinworkxroy View Post
    Does it really matter which is better?
    Canon users will still buy Canon because they already bought the lenses, Nikon will still buy Nikon for the same reason..First time buyers will not buy either as both are way too expensive for a first time buyer…so ultimately, whoever wants whichever camera is going to buy that camera, whether it's better or not doesn't matter.
    I think it will affect more DX users who are considered to convert to FX. It is an opportunity to change champ. And usually they are aiming at D800 or 5DIII kind of body.

Strategy switches. Nikon is joining in the megapixel game and canon is improving on its noise and video.

If D800 has similar video capability as 5D mk ii or iii, I will keep my canon and build another Nikon system. D800 spec really not bad and I always like nikon wide angle lens.

D800 ISO 6400 (according to Nikon Rumors):
    https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-s...k/s0/06400.jpg

5D3 ISO 6400:
    http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/sam...wnloads/02.jpg

According to my eyes, the D800 loses this round leh. What do others think?

D800 doesnt look bad after all
    Nikon D90 : Nikkor 18-200VRII : Nikkor 18-55 VR : Nikkor 50mm f1.8 : Nikon SB-900

Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    If it was my decision to make, I will still stick with Nikon
    I probably choose canon over nikon, but having said that, I still prefer the feel and ergonomics of nikon bodies. :lol:
    [D800|AFS2470F2.8G|AFS70200F2.8G|AFS1635F4G|AFS28F1 .8G|AF85F1.8D|AFDC105F2D|SB700|SB900]

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post

5D3 ISO 6400:

IMO they made the D800 a different kind of product now. The D800 is not a cheap D4 like the D700 is a cheap D3. The D800 is not a high ISO monster, it's a camera for studio (D800) or landscape (D800E) photographers, where high ISO performance is not that important, but resolution is. The D4 is the high ISO performer. So I am not surprised the D800 is not as good as the 5D3 in terms of high ISO performance.

Having said that, the D800 may not perform worse than the 5D3 in terms of high ISOs. Noise is not the only thing to take into consideration, there are also things like colour reproduction, contrast, and sharpness. The image from the 5D3 looks like it's lost some detail somewhere - zoom in on the ice, some of the details seem to be lost, while the image from the D800 looks sharp. Also, note that noise is more apparent in the shadow areas as compared to the highlights. I'm not defending Nikon just because I use it, but to really compare the high ISO performance fairly, you need to shoot the same scene at the same settings. I'm pretty sure I can produce a pretty clean image at ISO 6400 with my D90 on a bright sunny day, but that doesn't say much.
    Last edited by brapodam; 5th March 2012 at 08:40 PM.

nikon user sticks with nikon.
    canon user sticks with canon.

its a shame nikon can make faster FPS.....if it does it would eat the the canon for bfast, lunch and dinner....lol

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post

5D3 ISO 6400:

Details are still visible in D800 while the 5DM3 tends to becomes "painting"...
    Inferiority Complex Behavior Signature: A900.D3x.M9..I have this and that blah blah...

Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    IMO they made the D800 a different kind of product now. The D800 is not a cheap D4 like the D700 is a cheap D3. The D800 is not a high ISO monster, it's a camera for studio (D800) or landscape (D800E) photographers, where high ISO performance is not that important, but resolution is. The D4 is the high ISO performer. So I am not surprised the D800 is not as good as the 5D3 in terms of high ISO performance.
    I totally agree with this statement and have been trying to figure this out: "Does that mean that Nikon will replace the D700 with another entry level full frame camera (not D800), or will Nikon assume from now on, that DX is for mid-range $, while FX is for high range $, with no mid-range FX camera?"

Quote Originally Posted by Roran View Post
    I think it will affect more DX users who are considered to convert to FX. It is an opportunity to change champ. And usually they are aiming at D800 or 5DIII kind of body.
    My point exactly. Existing DX users of either brand will most likely switch the FX of the same brand because they have the lenses and are used to the brand. Or maybe it's just me…I've pre-ordered the 5Dmk3 because I;ve been wanting FX since i got my 60D and i held on to buying the Mk2 because i was waiting for the Mk3.

Quote Originally Posted by spinworkxroy View Post
    My point exactly. Existing DX users of either brand will most likely switch the FX of the same brand because they have the lenses and are used to the brand. Or maybe it's just me…I've pre-ordered the 5Dmk3 because I;ve been wanting FX since i got my 60D and i held on to buying the Mk2 because i was waiting for the Mk3.
    Not necessarily upgrade to same brand because of lenses since you can just sell them and buy the other brand lenses second hand. I think that if there's a reason to stick to a brand for reasons other than the features on paper, it's like what you said, that they are used to the brand. Switching to another brand means you need to learn a whole new UI, which may or may not make sense, depending on the person himself. If you are very comfortable with the ergonomics of the cameras a certain brand makes, it makes a lot of sense to stick with it even if the features may not be as good. For instance, in the Nikon camp, people still bought the D700 even though the 5D2 had more resolution, better video, and cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    Not necessarily upgrade to same brand because of lenses since you can just sell them and buy the other brand lenses second hand. I think that if there's a reason to stick to a brand for reasons other than the features on paper, it's like what you said, that they are used to the brand. Switching to another brand means you need to learn a whole new UI, which may or may not make sense, depending on the person himself. If you are very comfortable with the ergonomics of the cameras a certain brand makes, it makes a lot of sense to stick with it even if the features may not be as good. For instance, in the Nikon camp, people still bought the D700 even though the 5D2 had more resolution, better video, and cheaper.
    Lots of 5DmkII and D700 owners didn't own any SLR lenses before, it was simply their first DSLR. I think quite a few people start from scratch when considering a full-frame DSLR.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ahkek View Post
    Setting through the menus is somewhat slower than using the top knob. That's just my POV.Maybe for lazy people like me hahah. Infact 51 focus points IMO is more than enough already. So 61 is like wow. Overkill?
    If you have used the D700 or D300(s) extensively, you will know that the 4 banks for CSM, and 4 banks for photo settings are actually much more flexible and much faster to use if you know how to arrange them (ie, in My Menu and custom assign a button for direct access).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12