Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody interested to do this as a group?

Quote Originally Posted by Sgdevilzz
    Go run on a thread mill first. Prepare yourself.

Jokes aside, Singaporeans are not ready for these type of things. Not saying ALL but i'm pretty sure those young punks or aunty uncle would make a nuisance if you took a picture of them with flash somemore.
    So far young punks will pose for you. They sometimes even ask you to shoot them again as they change their pose. Lol

Default Re: Anybody interested to do this as a group?

And here is my second take at Geylang bazaar during the fasting month:

Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More

After these two tries, I dropped the whole idea. Wasn't my kind of thing. haha

Its one thing to get out of your comfort zone... another thing altogether if you annoyed your subject/passesby just for your 'Art'.

Scuba & Father... For Life

Getting good photos has nothing to do with doing things out of the ordinary. Just because people do get good photos by doing so doesn't mean you have to. There are great street photographers who quietly record life. Of course if you want to be a thrill seeker ok la then it's your choice

Just like landscapes, if someone stay on shore , compared to another person going waist deep, tripod gone, almost wash out to sea.. Doesn't mean person two get better photos compared to person one. of course person two will get more views, but don't equate danger to success in photography.

Quote Originally Posted by xsaifuddin View Post
    And here is my second take at Geylang bazaar during the fasting month:

Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More

After these two tries, I dropped the whole idea. Wasn't my kind of thing. haha
    Great works! I want to encourage you to keep trying (not that I hope to visit you in the hospital one day. )

Quote Originally Posted by Sion

Great works! I want to encourage you to keep trying (not that I hope to visit you in the hospital one day. )

Just make sure you visit if I end up in the hospital!

i don't see why, just because there's a bunch of people doing it the Bruce Gilden style, that we have to follow it.

this is a typical "Challenge Accepted" scenario.

what's the point of surprising people with Flash Photograhy on the streets? to capture their stunned expressions? to scare them? in Singapore, i once did it accidentally. i left the flash up on my NEX-5 and scared the crap outta a mother and her young son.

is that what you want to portray? Shock? or is there something else you want to achieve other than "i used flash for street photography"?

not that i don't approve, but ask yourself what is the purpose of this other than to irritate others on the streets.

being a Singaporean, i'm sure you've heard stories of people getting beaten up for no reason at all. please be more considerate of others' feelings in Singapore, and remember that not everything that "famous" photographers or what others try in other countries will work here in Singapore.

and one more thing, Shock may be natural, but by doing that, all the photos will be altered by you. you're not gonna get other natural expressions. perhaps, you might even capture someone running at you with a parang if you're not careful.

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309
    i don't see why, just because there's a bunch of people doing it the Bruce Gilden style, that we have to follow it.

this is a typical "Challenge Accepted" scenario.

what's the point of surprising people with Flash Photograhy on the streets? to capture their stunned expressions? to scare them? in Singapore, i once did it accidentally. i left the flash up on my NEX-5 and scared the crap outta a mother and her young son.

is that what you want to portray? Shock? or is there something else you want to achieve other than "i used flash for street photography"?

not that i don't approve, but ask yourself what is the purpose of this other than to irritate others on the streets.

being a Singaporean, i'm sure you've heard stories of people getting beaten up for no reason at all. please be more considerate of others' feelings in Singapore, and remember that not everything that "famous" photographers or what others try in other countries will work here in Singapore.

and one more thing, Shock may be natural, but by doing that, all the photos will be altered by you. you're not gonna get other natural expressions. perhaps, you might even capture someone running at you with a parang if you're not careful.
    Wah lau chill la..

Some newbie wants to try this technique only what. Guide them and let them find the answers themselves by giving them questions so they can ponder. Self-discovery usually is the best experience.

I did the same technique not because some old guy named Bruce Gilden did it. Just cause he's famous? Definitely not. I was interested by how you can present artificial lighting and make your subject stands out. It was a good experience to try while shooting street portraits. Then i find it not as fulfilling and scrap the idea.

Even now, i find this technique a little 'bullsh*t', sorry for the lack of bettet word, but hey just try it out if you want to!

Have you tried it before in Sg, literally other than your accident? Have you experience how locals react other than the mother and her son? Perhaps you can do it as a social experiment?

Frankly, 90% dont give a hoot. Another 5% probably will entertain you. While the other 5% might scold you. Get out there with common sense and some street smart.

So yeah, thats about it.

And yes i do agree, not all techniques is applicable in sg when it comes to street. But there will always be a way if there is a will!

enough said.. photography is a subjective art and to each his own. The process of getting a picture may be controversial, but shouldn't stop one from getting the picture he hungers for.

I've started threads like this a few times, not many are keen and ultimately ending up doing it alone. But after watching the video I got a bit optimistic and wanted to ask if there are any like-minded shooters out there.

Xsaifuddin, thanks for your replies. Your photos inspired me. I think I should start doing it alone and then come back and share my photos and experience. Arrghh why is there so much procrastination!

Quote Originally Posted by idi0tekue
    enough said.. photography is a subjective art and to each his own. The process of getting a picture may be controversial, but shouldn't stop one from getting the picture he hungers for.

I've started threads like this a few times, not many are keen and ultimately ending up doing it alone. But after watching the video I got a bit optimistic and wanted to ask if there are any like-minded shooters out there.

Xsaifuddin, thanks for your replies. Your photos inspired me. I think I should start doing it alone and then come back and share my photos and experience. Arrghh why is there so much procrastination!
    The enemy of all great work is procrastination. Visit my webby portfolio if you need more ideas on shooting street: streetlogue.com

All the best.

Quote Originally Posted by idi0tekue View Post

I believe thats what most of us are worry about... If someone decided to do a series, lets called it "Human Emotion"... and that include 'PAIN'... and if he/she (Photographer) is hungry enough for the real thing... are you ok, with the Photographer torturing the model ?? I'm sure there will be lots of controversial... so... still hungry ??

Scuba & Father... For Life

Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    I believe thats what most of us are worry about... If someone decided to do a series, lets called it "Human Emotion"... and that include 'PAIN'... and if he/she (Photographer) is hungry enough for the real thing... are you ok, with the Photographer torturing the model ?? I'm sure there will be lots of controversial... so... still hungry ??
    No i'm not interested in gore, so I'm not ok with the photos.

I think what you saying is that you feel some of those street photography are unethical because they were taken without permission. I understand and not asking you to accept them if you can't. Not going to argue what's ethical and what's not ethical here. Bottom line is to find friends to shoot with for mutual encouragement and company etc.

It's like a group of friends going to hawker centre and I choose what I like to eat, and don't have to share if you don't like my food.
    Last edited by idi0tekue; 4th March 2012 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by idi0tekue View Post
    But after watching the video I got a bit optimistic and wanted to ask if there are any like-minded shooters out there.
    So what do you intend to achieve by adopting the technique?

Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc

If the photographer saw someone who got a bad stomachache, in pain, and shot it.

I don't think it's impossible to get the 'pain' emotion right?

If person A steps on person's B foot accidentally and you got the shot of his expression in pain. Pain also right?

Basically it depends on how you perceive it and approach to get your shot. And you do have a crude way of perceiving things by 'torturing the model'. Tsk tsk

Controversy also depends on how sensitive you are to the situation. Why shoot someone in pain? Is that ethical to capture and show the feeling of despair and agony to others? Humiliate the person?

Then again it depends on your motive, your cause, your objective.

Hot thread... Hahaha..
    Last edited by xsaifuddin; 4th March 2012 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos-

So what do you intend to achieve by adopting the technique?
    Good start, TS maybe you wanna think about this first? Before setting out on your journey of street flashing.

Quote Originally Posted by xsaifuddin View Post
    Good start, TS maybe you wanna think about this first? Before setting out on your journey of street flashing.
    Intention of using flash is definitely not to terrorize people. Technically speaking I use flash to lift the subject out of the background and better expose them. If flash not needed then I won't use. I must say that I don't shoot the way Eric Kim and his friends do in the video (check out my flickr link below). Maybe they look like a bunch of tyrants, which is not what I'm aiming for.

What better way to show my intention than with photos? I hope they turn out good.

Enough said. More shooting, less typing.

i'm not saying all that to discourage people from doing that. i'm asking whoever plans to do it, to think about what he/she wants to achieve and to think in local context.

locals here already aren't very receptive to having their photos taken.. (unless you look like a tourist... or to a certain species of local girls, if you're a Caucasian man).. if they notice you, they'll go after you if they don't like it. add flash into the picture and you might just be asking for trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    i'm not saying all that to discourage people from doing that. i'm asking whoever plans to do it, to think about what he/she wants to achieve and to think in local context.

locals here already aren't very receptive to having their photos taken.. (unless you look like a tourist... or to a certain species of local girls, if you're a Caucasian man).. if they notice you, they'll go after you if they don't like it. add flash into the picture and you might just be asking for trouble.
    Yes I got you. Don't worry I'm not discouraged

I have photo projects brewing in mind for years, and hope I can turn them into a series worth looking. THanks for all the concern I will be careful of people wanting to smash me with beer bottles

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast