Thread: Help interprete SG "Lemon" law for photographers.

Default Help interprete SG "Lemon" law for photographers.

Singapore Law Watch - 'Lemon law' to protect consumers

If under controlled condition a lens cannot be tack sharp throughout the focal range at wide open...would it be considered a lemon and hence valid for exchange until can get one that is sharp throughout?

Or even a lens that is supposedly weather sealed but somehow dust can get in and etc.

What do you think?
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Default Re: Help interprete SG "Lemon" law for photographers.

This depends on the definition of "faulty", which is not explicitly defined in the article.

In your example, how sharp is "tack sharp"? I do not expect kit lenses to be sharp wide open, but expect any Leica lens to be (even those made by Panasonic ).

Unless it is very clear that only 1 lens has the problem, then it will be very hard to argue that a lens is faulty.
    Last edited by elgkh; 29th February 2012 at 11:31 PM.

Default Re: Help interprete SG "Lemon" law for photographers.

Don't rely on the lemon law.
    DIY to seek justice.

I ever complained to the guy in charge of Japan HQ for a so called brand new camera that had faults.
    He got it sorted out and replaced the lemon.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 1st March 2012 at 06:47 PM.

The definition of 'lemon' is important here.

It's not whether the item is perfect. Flaws and less than perfect or useable does not qualify and unlikely to apply to simple objects.

It would be something that continuously breakdown for one reason or other.

Cars would be a good candidate and is the origin of this term n law You wake up today n it wouldn't start, tmr the radiator leaks, another day the steering jams, then wouldn't start again.

Theory is wonderful.

But, how would you try this with a 20 year old car. Key is whether the seller misrepresented the item being sold and you have to go through the pain in order to know its a lemon n then sue.