Thread: canon powershot A95...made in china..??..

Unhappy canon powershot A95...made in china..??..

allo!!

newbie here, finally trying to get into the ‘digital camera’ world and must say that the postings here have been very informative indeed...

was wracking my brains to get powershot A-series or Ixus.... but leaning more towards A95

recently i was informed that not all Japanese brand cameras are made in Japan and that i should make sure the product is made in japan and not anywhere else... is this true? i was told made in Japan costs more but lasts longer. so does that mean there’s A95 made in japan and other A95s made elsewhere??

and what about the camera case? how much is it generally? the one with the spongy lining inside and is it necessary and how much should i pay for the lcd screen cover?

many thanks for all help!

Now I know why we're so inferior to the westerners also.
    We even look down on our ancestors from China.
    Damn... They were from China too...

Quote Originally Posted by chubby
    allo!!

newbie here, finally trying to get into the ‘digital camera’ world and must say that the postings here have been very informative indeed...

was wracking my brains to get powershot A-series or Ixus.... but leaning more towards A95

recently i was informed that not all Japanese brand cameras are made in Japan and that i should make sure the product is made in japan and not anywhere else... is this true? i was told made in Japan costs more but lasts longer. so does that mean there’s A95 made in japan and other A95s made elsewhere??

and what about the camera case? how much is it generally? the one with the spongy lining inside and is it necessary and how much should i pay for the lcd screen cover?

many thanks for all help!
    does it matter?

Lowepro pro bag also made in china.

what is not made in china? look around you for every item you buy, look closer almost half my stuff is from china, clothes, toys, apparel, etc.

Most stuffs that are made in China will be fine. But for electronics, esp precision instruments like a cam, made in japan will be better.

Would you buy a made in china car, or a made in japan or europe car?

China's QC not as comparable to Japan. That is why it causes the higher failure rate. It depence on luck actually. But who knows, made in Japan thing also fail sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by tunster
    China's QC not as comparable to Japan. That is why it causes the higher failure rate. It depence on luck actually. But who knows, made in Japan thing also fail sometimes.
    Ya, true. If suay, made in anywhere also will fail!

As far as I've seen, Canon, Sony, Fujifilm cameras are most likely to be made in Japan. (As in the batches brought in by the official distributors and agent).

Honestly, manufacturers don't really care much for QC these days. If the product isn't malfunctioning at the time of purchase, that's usually good enough for them. If everything was made to last, how are they ever going to get you to buy new products?

Even the Made in Japan clause is misleading sometimes lah. Because of outsourcing and the likes, the parts of the components may not be made in Japan at all. For example,(just quoting a likely EXAMPLE) the chips in Canon and Nikon cameras may be made by NEC or Mitsubishi who outsource the manufacturing to a factory in Taiwan.
    Last edited by Prismatic; 10th December 2004 at 05:00 AM.

Even in US, China made items overshadow those made in Japan. If 'suay', even made-in-us also kaput

Made in China, Made in USA, Made in Japan, does it really matter? I can bet that some parts in the Canon 1DMKII (supposedly made in Japan) has been outsourced from places like China! We all have the concept that China makes inferior goods, which I can say that I'm one of those people looking at some of the things we have in the market, but look at some of the electronics you have in front of you... Heck, even the modem you are using to connect to the internet is made in China... No difference right? Its just a matter of choosing the right manufacturer and the right people to do the job so QC can be controlled...
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

Talking thanks for your quick replies!! :D

true true.. lotsa stuff are made in china. if not the full product, then maybe parts of it.

last time someone told me abt ericsson handphone i think.. got made in malaysia and errr...sweden or what lah... so if u buy made in malaysia should get cheaper price. dunno if it's cuz of QC or shipping or what lah....

so i was wondering if cameras also got such things lah.. as for quality, i think also depends on luck arr... if 'suay', doesn't matter made-in-where, sure ka-put! especially with global outsourcing phenomenon..

either way, i guess if Canon backs the product, then shouldn't be a problem rite? anything wrong just go to them lah hor!

ok ok, many thanks for all your views.... so... A95 it is yeah?!? hehe... till i step into the shop and get blown away by all them cameras!

not sure about cameras but Made in China Discman and headphones are CRAP!!!!!!
    I bought a 280sgd slim So** Discman (MIC), it sounded like crap!!! piece of trash. I bought a sgd 60 dollar Phi**p headphone Made in China, DAM! I might as well keep the 6dollar complimentary headphone. $6 sounded better. Bought a Creat*** made in china mp3/discman Sgd180 (that time), I never use it, its CRAP!!!!!! I bought a phi**** discman 175SGD, again, I never use it, its CRAP. Bought a SGD85 sony earphone (white plugged into ear type), CRAP!!!!!! Don't believe, I'll bet you on buying one! High price but what you get are CRAPS!
    My alarm clock is MIC, ate 4 batteries in 10 days. Maybe some companies have quality checks, control whatever, but to my experience, they're crappy
    Too many experiences.
    Only thing thats not crap is my midiland MIC speakers, now that's pure music.
    TIPS: when buying speakers, earphones, etc from reputable brands like Sony, look for 'Japan' and not China or Phillipines (except the DJ-MDR 200-600 series).
    Don't believe me? try getting MIC ones!
    Last edited by dennisc; 13th December 2004 at 01:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dennisc
    not sure about cameras but Made in China Discman and headphones are CRAP!!!!!!
    I bought a 280sgd slim So** Discman (MIC), it sounded like crap!!! piece of trash. I bought a sgd 60 dollar Phi**p headphone Made in China, DAM! I might as well keep the 6dollar complimentary headphone. $6 sounded better. Bought a Creat*** made in china mp3/discman Sgd180 (that time), I never use it, its CRAP!!!!!! I bought a phi**** discman 175SGD, again, I never use it, its CRAP. Bought a SGD85 sony earphone (white plugged into ear type), CRAP!!!!!! Don't believe, I'll bet you on buying one! High price but what you get are CRAPS!
    My alarm clock is MIC, ate 4 batteries in 10 days. Maybe some companies have quality checks, control whatever, but to my experience, they're crappy
    Too many experiences.
    Only thing thats not crap is my midiland MIC speakers, now that's pure music.
    TIPS: when buying speakers, earphones, etc from reputable brands like Sony, look for 'Japan' and not China or Phillipines (except the DJ-MDR 200-600 series).
    Don't believe me? try getting MIC ones!
    Hahaha you really got a thing against them.

I own the $85 sony earphone (Made in Korea). You have to stuff it into your ear like earplugs to enjoy the sound. Yup, i agree, MIC ain't really good for electronics.

Canon A95 is good

The rotating screen is fantastic, though i've not been using it to it's full potential as often as i should.. but it really helps a lot when you'r taking some odd-ly angled shots.

If you'r interested in having more control over your photos, the manual controls on the camera are very useful. If you'r just want something ultra-compact, but don't need manual controls, ixus is a fine choice.

Next thing to consider is battery.. ixus uses propriety batteries.. A95 4 x AA.. and camera batt life with Sanyo 2500s IS phemonenal. I get to take close to 5-600 shots with LCD display before it went flat on me.

As for camera case.. i'm using D-RES 8 from Lowepro.. it fits the A95 perfectly, just like a glove with room to spare for one or two extra compact flash cards. (you wouldn't want to put the batteries in the same case as your camera.. it's way too impractical and bulky to lug it around when you want to walk around with the camera in the case in your hand.)

And it zips up to enclose the camera totally, unlike the canon one which uses velcro. if you get the A95, get D-RES 8 (about $20).. try it on with the camera.. I'm very happy with it.

if you'r interested in getting flashy crumpler bags, there's one shop at peninsular plaza near east gear that has a very wide range at reasonable prices the last time i went there..

Smile bot A95!!! yeehaaawww!!!

and now, to figure out how to use it!! ahahahaah.. i tried looking for A80 but nobody seemed to have it anymore

again, many thanks for all the replies and the extensive 'exposion' abt MIC products! tks for sharing your experiences

as for the case, i bot Lowepro D-Res 20AW .. didn't even know got other types like D-Res 8 around.... sigh... hehe

oh well, it's bot liao, and now... to start snapping pics! yeeyyy!

Actually it does matter to me which country it made from for expensive camera and accessories.
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

for bags those doesn't matter as you can see and feel the quality straight, but the cam itself or rather elect items i do mind where it's made. frankly speaking i don't want to get my cam and it spoilt after 13 months, good to manufacturer but we are the users, the buyers, why pay to get something won't last you long?

Default Nothing wrong with MIC!

Sheesh.....can't believe all the ignorant rants here. My palmtop, laptop, cellphone, TV are all made in China and to a very high degree of manufacturing quality. Absolutely no complaints after years of usage for some of the items.
    Heck, even some of my friends are MIC and they seem to be running well after 30+ years of usage