Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Cheapo wedding shoot

Default Re: Cheapo wedding shoot

I like esp the part that says "Only camera geeks care about cameras. The rest of the world (rightly) cares about images". But I do confess being part geek & part photographer, & I hope or would like to believe the latter part is greater For true professionals, I think it would or should be in the 10% to 90% ratio respectively...

Quote Originally Posted by s1221ljc View Post
    I like esp the part that says "Only camera geeks care about cameras. The rest of the world (rightly) cares about images". But I do confess being part geek & part photographer, & I hope or would like to believe the latter part is greater For true professionals, I think it would or should be in the 10% to 90% ratio respectively...
    I was at my wife's Masters graduation in KL the week before and they had hired a studio to do the graduation shots.
    My wife didn't pay for the extra shots since she had brought along a 'pro' to accompany her, but she did get her one free studio shot done.
    The studio had quite a few photographers (probably 5-6) and they were using two strobes from front (1 key; 1 fill).
    Naturally, I looked at the lenses they used..... kit lenses.
    But hey! "Great ROI" I said to my wife.
    Certainly no need for any expensive/fancy lens with the strobes (and 5-6 of that to cover all the photographers would cost a bomb) .
    The prints they produced certainly looked competent.

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    I was at my wife's Masters graduation in KL the week before and they had hired a studio to do the graduation shots.
    My wife didn't pay for the extra shots since she had brought along a 'pro' to accompany her, but she did get her one free studio shot done.
    The studio had quite a few photographers (probably 5-6) and they were using two strobes from front (1 key; 1 fill).
    Naturally, I looked at the lenses they used..... kit lenses.
    But hey! "Great ROI" I said to my wife.
    Certainly no need for any expensive/fancy lens with the strobes (and 5-6 of that to cover all the photographers would cost a bomb) .
    The prints they produced certainly looked competent.
    In studio environment the lights are strong so photographers would be shooting at f8, f11, f22 kinda of stuff. Fast lens and kit lens at those apertures are not much different. The differences is how photogr control, direct, shape and sculpt with lights. When 100% of the exposure is all from the photographer's flashs, a good photo is all his credit as opposed to situational available light, and a badly lit photo is also all his fault. Gear lovers would not see this for they frequently see only paper figures, but fail to see light, much less control it.
    Last edited by sjackal; 7th March 2012 at 12:08 AM.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

most of the time the gear we use is overkill, especially for consumer markets.

I have stock images submitted in jpg file from my D700 camera, the photo buyers make banners even advertisement on double decked bus out of it.

I don't see any issue of making A3 photos out from a D80 camera.

to many people who is using D3, 1D, 5D to make 4R photos of course it is very abnormal to them.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

I agree that D80 is not a bad camera... infact I like the CCD colour tones out from it. And the fact that it has quite good ergonomics, flash exposure & a bright & quite accurate LCD screen for it times.

However I'd like to know whether the photographer used any lights or flash for the shoot. Hopefully not just the pop-up flash.

About 2 years ago, I was at an actual day where I met a young and brilliant photographer from JB who used 2 D80s with 18-105 VR & 50 f1.8. He impressed me with his knowledge and skills, and the way he handled and engaged the couple during the actual day/portrait shooting. The fact that he used Capture NX2 also amazed me.

I wonder how much he was paid compared to the $1700 in this package. Sure economy is different across the border, that I understand.

There was once I shot for a event,
    The client wanted a wind effect for the external shot.
    It was a still day and I did not bring along cardboard or fan ...

So later I improvise ...

i think you can produce decent result with any camera..especially if you only want to view in your computer. There will be limitation if you want to have large print especially if you shoot with lower megapixel camera...
    Snap well . Eat Well . Sleep Well

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    Just came back from my brother in law's outdoor wedding shoot. The package don't include transport so I was commanded by wife to be driver. Brought my V1 along.

Man, the guy got attitude problem. Anyway I just driver so tiam tiam. He vetoed all the family's suggested site. Insisted on Sentosa. Went there then realized he has his set pieces - 2 places certain standard pose than that's it. Worse, when he unzipped his camera bag, he took out a D80 (I think - he his the front from me) and shot with the kit 18-55mm. I was thinking: Wah lau, cheap leh.

Then when I tried to take with my camera, he says "I take only, you cannot take." I heck care. I got better reach with my V1 70-110 so I just stand behind him and snapped.

But like I say I tiam tiam since I only driver.
    But felt the need to let out steam here. Anyway, they can't afford an expensive package so what to do?
    Think have to stay diam diam until we see what he produce...

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    Then when I tried to take with my camera, he says "I take only, you cannot take." I heck care. I got better reach with my V1 70-110 so I just stand behind him and snapped.
    UncleFai ... when you were snapping away , were the couple looking at your camera or the real photographer's ? If they were looking at yours , means the shot is gone for the main photographer ...haiz....

If I am there and saw the cheapo photographer use his lousy camera.

I will smash his camera !

Quote Originally Posted by D800X View Post

What if you take out his SD card and realise his shots are much better than anything you can shoot? I'd say wait for the results then judge. He may look unprofessional with his "noob gear", but that doesn't mean he can't take good shots with it.

Speaks volumes about your upbringing. If you see a poor man with cheap belongings or tools, do you go destroy his belongings just because his humble? If you see a beggar, do you smash his ricebowl?

Even gangsters have honor and reasons for violence. You sound like the type that suck up to the rich and bully the poor and humble.

Most despicable post I seen on CS forum so far.

Ok.

I take back my words.

regarding gears:
    few years back one CSer won the New Paper Picture of the year 2nd price with a Nikon Cool Pix (PNS Cam)
    I've also shot a pre-wedding using a D70 and one of the image was blown up to AO size, no problem with quility.
    have done another shot with my D200 and it was blown up to 30 feet by 15 feet (if I remember correctly), display at the side of a building, also no problem

Of course, image do matter and I'm able to charge more when I use my digital back compaired to using a DSLR but from expericence, EQ will always win over any equipt (high end or low end) used.

So for this thread, guess we should see the final result. If the result is bad, whack the photographer left, right, ctr, top, bottom plus from and back (in the forum not bodily OK?). But if the result is at least not bad, than regardless of his low EQ still have to respect the photographer, right
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Oh ......... could I please contact you when I next shoot with my D70? Pleassssse!!!! I need the compensation money to upgrade

Joke Joke only hor, don't serious
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Went to a wedding where the photographer is using 5D Mk II with 24-70 L lens.

When he showed the morning montage, the photos looked quite bad in terms of composition and light control. I am not a pro, but I think its really not nice and feels like it is shot with a PNS camera... maybe he is in a rush to do the montage after the morning part... benefit of doubt to him!

Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    I'd say wait for the results then judge.
    Quote your post to borrow that sentence, post not directed at you but at all those mean wickeds out there.

Why must 'wait for results and judge' ??

Did the wedding couple hired the photog for their own private affairs or hire so that people can come here and 'judge'? Who qualifies to judge another person, unsolicited and uninvited?

Many claim to be 'photographers' here but I ask you this; did you get onto photography and on this forum as a brother or sister or friend with the same passion or you are here so that you can trample and stample on others?

Be human a bit and put yourself in others shoes, I am sure all of you also have your own jobs elsewhere how would you like people to do the same to you? Many wants to show their better than others feed their own ego and pass critism on others - fine, but it's all talking and bitching behind a screen. Why not do something more constructive like landing some photography awards or accrediations? Maybe you will get so good that associations will invited you as a real judge.

AFAIK, bridal studios pay their junior photog only about 1.6k per month, that D80 was probably his whole month pay. Many hobbyists here have better lives better jobs to afford high end gear for leisure but there are others have to earn humble pay with cheaper gear, some have to leave their home country and cross over from Malaysia to work here, is there a need to bully them just satisfy your own whatever purpose?

Judge.

the point is, whatever you do and use, see end results better...
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ninja1943 View Post
    Went to a wedding where the photographer is using 5D Mk II with 24-70 L lens.

When he showed the morning montage, the photos looked quite bad in terms of composition and light control. I am not a pro, but I think its really not nice and feels like it is shot with a PNS camera... maybe he is in a rush to do the montage after the morning part... benefit of doubt to him!
    The "light control" of the morning montage you mentioned might be caused by the projector provided by the hotel/restaurant. I've come across many hotels and restaurants that use very bad/old projectors that almost kill the 5-hour-hard work of the photograhers. Some even play 2 different songs together when playing the montage. So it might not be the fault of the photographer. Do check before summarize as it might spoilt the rice bowl of that photographer.
    Last edited by kentwong81; 8th March 2012 at 03:04 PM.
    Kent Wong Photography |Leica Q & Leica M-P 240 | 75 & 28mm Summilux

Judging a photographer simply by the gear he uses is really unfair. There are many skill sets like editing, how to pose the couple, how to compose a photo, how to trigger the emotion of the couple, how to play with the available/setup lightings, etc that are more crucial in making a good photo. If gear is the only factor to make a good photo, everyone can just buy expensive gear and let the gear do the magic.
    Kent Wong Photography |Leica Q & Leica M-P 240 | 75 & 28mm Summilux

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast