Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Driving car > 10 years old...

Quote Originally Posted by alikishi
    I live in the philippines and I drive an 11 year old honda civic. Everything is fine just as long as you follow the periodic maintenance schedule. My fuel mileage is sometimes better than my 3 year old Opel Astra (both 1.6 liter engines)
    I had the pleasure of driving many different models of Opel in europe, they all are a thirsty bunch!

Thanks for all the suggestions...
    About the bike... I don't think I can as I don't have a bike license.
    Actually, I was looking at the classified ad and found some Honda Civic COE till 2011 going for like 15K-16K... Maybe I should go test drive first...

time to offer my 2 cents..

okie..from wat i see.. the honda u are getting is probably either the ef or the eg series... let me ask u.. how old are u.. cos honda cars, especially the 3 dr series, EF9, EG5, EG6, are sky high... secondly... though honda engines have generally a long lifespan.. but many are already push beyond the limits.. are u ready to rebuilt an engine if it goes.. not to mention others like gearbox, exhaust.. blah blah... have u also considered the road tax and the yearly LTA inspection??.. also, civics are a fav with our friendly guys/gals in white...

if u are buying from a dealer... do take note.. sometimes.. wat they advertise is not wat u will be getting.. this is from personal experiences.. do be careful.. good luck

Quote Originally Posted by stingraytan
    dont see how BMW, Benz, volvo can survive better..
    Get something common like toyota or sunny etc so that getting parts wont be a problem..

Or you might consider getting a cheap new car with a red plate.. Saves a fair amount on COE, road tax etc..
    well a continental car may or may not survive better.. but i can tell u in event of an accident.. it can save ur life.. u seen a collision between a merc e200 and a subaru wrx... hahaha... the merc spun 540 degrees and ended up less damaged then the wrx.. how do i know.. i was the one driving..

Carzzz,,,,

unless you are a Malaysia-going junkie, do consider a van instead.

I am driving one, Opel Combo 1.7 TDI (turbo fuel injection).

Low cost of ownership (cost me $32800 OTR new @ $440pm x 7 yrs)

I can put people behind (subject to additional insurance coverage).

Road tax = $500 per year

Fuel = diesel = (as low as ) 68 cents/L & 18km/L.

Where to find... try the forum at www.eurovanclub.com - a local club of fellow "private" van owners. There are threads there to show you the tricks of owning one....

Only peeve, legal limit 60kmh. Small price to pay for $$$$ savings...spare cash, go buy L - lens lor

Quote Originally Posted by tan131
    well a continental car may or may not survive better.. but i can tell u in event of an accident.. it can save ur life.. u seen a collision between a merc e200 and a subaru wrx... hahaha... the merc spun 540 degrees and ended up less damaged then the wrx.. how do i know.. i was the one driving..
    which one were you driving?

actually that is precisely the reason I switched from an Alfa to a 5-series and then now an E-200. Especially if you travel a lot and your wife have to drive herself and the kids.

I once saw a Nissan Presea that kissed an E280 in the back. The Presea owner was examining his "beautiful new" A-shaped bonnet, while the chauffeur of the E280 was wiping his bumper with a cloth.

the old E200 is a good buy now,ard 30+k,damn solid and pretty powerful,parts are plentiful as well.

only downside is the 150% rd tax ..

Just need to check, is it true that you can't convert a 2nd car normal car to a off-peak car?

Quote Originally Posted by Lensman
    Carzzz,,,,

unless you are a Malaysia-going junkie, do consider a van instead.

I am driving one, Opel Combo 1.7 TDI (turbo fuel injection).

Low cost of ownership (cost me $32800 OTR new @ $440pm x 7 yrs)

I can put people behind (subject to additional insurance coverage).

Road tax = $500 per year

Fuel = diesel = (as low as ) 68 cents/L & 18km/L.

Where to find... try the forum at www.eurovanclub.com - a local club of fellow "private" van owners. There are threads there to show you the tricks of owning one....

Only peeve, legal limit 60kmh. Small price to pay for $$$$ savings...spare cash, go buy L - lens lor
    Actually thought of that before... gave up when I got married as I am thinking of bring kids into this world... maybe a Benz then...

Quote Originally Posted by SnapSnap
    Actually thought of that before... gave up when I got married as I am thinking of bring kids into this world... maybe a Benz then...
    VITO....smart .

Legally it is a Merc...at $48k. NEW OTR. notone of those taxi look alike stuff that cost 3 - 4 times more... :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Lensman
    VITO....smart .

Legally it is a Merc...at $48k. NEW OTR. notone of those taxi look alike stuff that cost 3 - 4 times more... :-)
    if you get one of those old mercs, be sure to get a white one
    if you're out of job you can drive it around as a taxi

Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    Good idea!

For Merc & image's sake, it is called a Limo.

Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    if you get one of those old mercs, be sure to get a white one

No one seems to have mentioned a biggie ... insurance.

As far as I know, you can only get 3rd party insurance on cars >10 years old, so if someone wipes out your car and they can't/won't pay, the value of your car would be reduced to scrap metal price minus disposal fees.

no, they now have comprehensive.

Really? Will it be more expensive than the "normal" less than 10 year old car insurance?

Quote Originally Posted by SnapSnap
    Really? Will it be more expensive than the "normal" less than 10 year old car insurance?
    hard to say since they now cover you for "market price". however for my 14 year-old W124 I pay about $700, 50% NCD, 5% good behaviour and 5% loyalty, no excess.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12