Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Fujifilm X-Pro1 : First Impressions at the Singapore Launch

I thought Fujifilm was pretty clear when they said they won't implement focus peaking coz they think it's not needed.

Default re: Fujifilm X-Pro1 : First Impressions at the Singapore Launch

I am hugely tempted, but will (try to) wait until they release the 24mm lens. I find that the equivalent of 35mm in full frame is the perfect angle for walking around photography. I find the 35mm lens (equivalent to 52mm in full frame) already a bit too much tele for walking around, while the 18 is already too wide-angle to my taste. The ideal combination for me would be the X1PRO with the (next year) 24mm and (available) 60mm lenses.

Blog Entries

Samples of Lowlight ISO1600 : These were taken at a bistro patio, where the lighting was quite dim with just some wall mounted lightings. Used the OVF for the first 2 shots, and had no issue getting focus confirmation with the shots... the last one was with the LCD, again, no issue with AF.

| Fujifilm X-Pro1 | XF35mmF1.4 R | 1/7sec | f/1.4 | ISO1600 |

| Fujifilm X-Pro1 | XF35mmF1.4 R | 1/27sec | f/1.4 | ISO1600 |

| Fujifilm X-Pro1 | XF35mmF1.4 R | 1/17sec | f/1.4 | ISO1600 |

edit > just to add, AF assist light was not used.
    further edit > just to further add that these are straight out of camera jpeg with std settings.
    Last edited by Cactus jACK; 7th March 2012 at 09:50 AM.

at this time and age, i believe most decent DSLRs and even the higher end compact cameras are able to hit ISO1600 very comfortably.

it would be good to see some ISO3200 and 6400 photos. kekekeke
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

List price in HK

Body only: HKD13,280 (~S$2,177)
    Body+XF35/f1.4: HKD17,990 (~S$2,949)
    XF18/f2: HKD4,680 (~S$767)
    XF35/f1.4: HKD4,880 (~S$800)
    XF60/f2.4: HKD5,380 (~S$882)

Come on CactusJack, kick it all the way to 11!

hmmm, how much do they usually discount fuji stuff in hk? is it similar to the 15+% off list that we usually get here?

Quote Originally Posted by slth123 View Post
    List price in HK

Body only: HKD13,280 (~S$2,177)
    Body+XF35/f1.4: HKD17,990 (~S$2,949)
    XF18/f2: HKD4,680 (~S$767)
    XF35/f1.4: HKD4,880 (~S$800)
    XF60/f2.4: HKD5,380 (~S$882)

Default Re: Fujifilm X-Pro1 : First Impressions at the Singapore Launch

Im in Osaka now,

and One of the regular shops I bought my stuffs quote me

222500 YEN

for Body + 3 LENS (18mm , 35mm , 60mm ,)

So that works out to be around only

S$3435

I guess this is the Cheapest???

Blog Entries

Samples of Lowlight ISO6400...

| Fujifilm X-Pro1 | XF35mmF1.4 R | 1/56sec | f/1.4 | ISO6400 |

| Fujifilm X-Pro1 | XF35mmF1.4 R | 1/100sec | f/1.4 | ISO6400 |

| Fujifilm X-Pro1 | XF35mmF1.4 R | 1/150sec | f/1.4 | ISO6400 |

| Fujifilm X-Pro1 | XF35mmF1.4 R | 1/400sec | f/1.4 | ISO6400 |

edit > just to add, these are straight out of camera jpeg with std settings. AF assist light was not used and had no issue with AF confirmation. After having shot with both the 35 (52.5mm FOV) and the 18 (27mm FOV), i am starting to prefer the 18 in terms of performance, particularly with the faster AF. but for "bokeh" (be it an overrated concept), the 35 is the way to go...
    Last edited by Cactus jACK; 7th March 2012 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus jACK View Post
    Samples of Lowlight ISO6400...

| Fujifilm X-Pro1 | XF35mmF1.4 R | 1/56sec | f/1.4 | ISO6400 |

| Fujifilm X-Pro1 | XF35mmF1.4 R | 1/100sec | f/1.4 | ISO6400 |

| Fujifilm X-Pro1 | XF35mmF1.4 R | 1/150sec | f/1.4 | ISO6400 |

| Fujifilm X-Pro1 | XF35mmF1.4 R | 1/400sec | f/1.4 | ISO6400 |
    That is at upper boon keng!

That is some insanely good high ISO shots.

Beginning to love this camera. Thanks CJ for the review.

Quote Originally Posted by morganoh View Post
    Im in Osaka now,

and One of the regular shops I bought my stuffs quote me

222500 YEN

for Body + 3 LENS (18mm , 35mm , 60mm ,)

So that works out to be around only

S$3435

I guess this is the Cheapest???
    That price is quite amazing.

Singapore's retail is body for $2400, and each lens at $900-1000.
    So in theory, Singapore price is $5400.

Blog Entries

Summary of First Impressions

As some ppl will be hitting the IT show over the weekend in hopes to play or purchase the Fujifilm X-Pro1, I’d thought that it was timely to put together my initial thoughts on the camera. This is a brand new system that Fujifilm are introducing in the X-mount and XF lenses, and while the new APS-C X-Trans senor and new EXR processor pro appear “ahead of its time”, the AF performance of the systems does not, with many of the other mirrorless systems out performing it.

The main selling point of the X-Pro1 is its new APS-C X-Trans senor and new EXR processor pro, which effectively negated the need of the Optical Low Pass Filter (OLPF) to correct for moiré. Together with the Fujinon EBC lenses, Fujifilm has also put forward rather bold statements that the Image Quality (IQ) of the X-Pro1 can even out shine that of a Full-Frame (FF) DSLR, and I’ll let the performance at high ISO should be able to speak for itself in the sample pics. Mind you, this is a bit of a moving target, as we have also seen the game "upped" with the recent launches of the next generation of FF cameras from Nikon and Canon in their D4, D800(E), and 5Dmkiii. But the claim that it is “up there” says a lot about where Fujifilm are targeting in terms of IQ.

That been said, the potential showstopper may be the AF performance of the X-Pro1, that many commented had riddled the X100. For X100 users, some couldn’t live it, others didn’t see it as a significant issue to them, so it really depends on what you’re looking for in a camera. Compacts and DSLRs are alternatives in getting faster AF - one with a smaller sensor and more DoF and other with a superior AF system in a larger outfit, everyone has their own considerations, priority and compromises. Also highlighted earlier, the AF speed appears to depend on the lens being used, the XF18 glass being a lot smaller and lighter appears to AF faster than the XF35. And for this reason, I have taken a larger liking to the XF18. If you’re looking for your “bokeh” shots, the XF35 is the way to go. Sitting between the XF18 and XF35, I personally can’t wait to see how the XF23 will perform when it is launched in the furture...

The 2-yr roadmap of the XF lenses does sound promising, which includes the potential line-up of fast 18mm(28), 23mm(35), and 35mm(50) (35mm equivalent), as well as F4 zooms covering 12-24mm(18-36), 18-72mm(27-108), and 70-200mm(105-300), also with a 14mm(21) super wide and a 28mm(42) pancake lens.

While I had previously questioned the implementation of a OVF on the X-Pro1, I found myself using more often than the EVF or the LCD. Naturally, the FoV given by the framelines shown in the OVF are not exact to the FOV through the lens - it is not surprising for those who have toyed with rangefinder cameras before. Further, the AF point is not quite exact through the OVF for the same reason, even with the “Corrected AF Frame” option on. Using the OVF, you often get “more” around the edges that you thought you had framed, and every so often, the actual AF may be on the object just to the side of your intended subject, as seen through the OVF. So, while the OVF would likely save you battery over the use of the EVF or the LCD, but if you’re not willing to live with the little “surprises”, the EVF option may provide the best compromise.

The Fujifilm X-Pro1 is larger than this X100 and X10 siblings (no, I have not forgotten about the X-S1, but it’s probably more like a the larger cousin, while still in the same family), but at 400g-450g for the body, it is lighter than the 600g of the Leica M9, for the comparable size. The XF18 and XF35 weigh 116g and 187g, compared to 270g-320g of Leica lenses of the comparable focal lengths. Purpose here is not to compare to the Leica M-system per se, but so show that the X-Pro1 is deceptively light.

I will not get into the “is it worth S$2400” or “is it cheaper in Japan?” type discussions. Would I buy one? Good Image Quality in a compact outfit... yes! Is the AF speed a showstopper for me? Not really, given my style of shooting, which tends slower and a little more deliberate. I also look forward to the opportunity to mount M, F, FD, OM, etc lenses on the X-Pro1, given the performance of the X-Trans sensor, this could be a potential X-factor for this camera... or a possible disappointment in the potential of the camera, if the “Shoot Without Lens”, live view feed, and manual focus assist are not implemented well.

Last edited by Cactus jACK; 8th March 2012 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus jACK
    (...)
    Thanks for your small review!
    Last edited by ageha; 8th March 2012 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus jACK View Post
    Thanks for the short writeup. Quite informative.

Quote Originally Posted by Parka
    Thanks! What's so "special" about the prices?

Just came back from trying the xp1. Impressions from 10-minutes with it:

Lightweight but very solid build.
    I don't think I have large hands but I struggled with the layout of the controls - awkward button placement. Maybe the grip accessory will help.
    AF is OK, nothing really great.
    Did not really try MF.
    Felt the aperture ring a bit loose and the gap between aperture values was a bit too tight (18mm and 35mm lens).
    High ISO images very usable - tested at ISO 25,600.

The 18 and 35mm lens are really small and light. Lens hood visible thru the OVF.

Side-notes: I foresee many buying it just for the retro look, but will very quickly end up on BnS as it's not an easy camera to use.
    Lots of ppl trying it had this "where is the auto mode?" blur look.
    Last edited by cks2k2; 8th March 2012 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ageha View Post
    Thanks! What's so "special" about the prices?
    eSPECIALLY expensive?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast