Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CARL ZEISS 85MM F/1.4 ZF.2 PLANAR T* or NIKKOR AF-S 85MM F/1.4G N

Default Re: CARL ZEISS 85MM F/1.4 ZF.2 PLANAR T* or NIKKOR AF-S 85MM F/1.4G N

Quote Originally Posted by luckysmurfin View Post

No problem with the manual focus, I tried to used a manual focus of my nikkor lens, and the feeling is soooo good.
    The main thing, I don't want to wasting my money, so I must choose which one is the best.

I like a unique bokeh, 3D view and a good contrast.
    I checked on Pixel-peeper and flickr but all the photo looks like to be Post processing, so it's not the actual picture.
    I think you've more or less found your answer

online comparison (though its the AF-D)
    Oleg Novikov Photography AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D vs. Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1.4/85 ZF—a complete comparison

Okay well to be honest, you can't go wrong with either. You use your MF confirmation indicator in the viewfinder, your eyes and try to hit the focus with the zeiss. Takes a lot of practice and wasted shots but i find MF far more rewarding. Both are sharp wide open but it's best to stop down like most primes. If you don't want to rent, go to a camera store and have a feel of both lenses. There's an interesting thing to consider about the build of the zeiss vs the new pro nikon primes (non super tele primes, i.e. 24, 35, 85 1.4). The build doesn't consist of a metal barrel but it's not poor construction, when you tap on them they feel a bit plasticky but apparently have rubber gaskets and beter weatherproofing. The Zeiss on the other hand has an insanely awesome MF ring and is all metal, but as far as i know lack the gaskets to keep light rain out, so you'd probably be more hesitant to use it in all sorts of weather and places. It's a different sort of build..more like feel of the lens vs functionality and ruggedness, i'm not sure how else to put it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fudgecakes View Post
    Good luck in your endeavor for The perfect lens I'm sure there' review out there in photo zone,dpreview, by thom etc. they can give you a clearer picture of what each lens is like and even sample pictures but by experience, it just makes me more spoilt for choice. Dk bout u tho but u could try it out
    Yeah, thanks for your advice, this very helping me to think and consider which one I should go. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    I will answer all your questions to the best of my ability, if you can give me a good reason
    You are so funny guy, I like it. I know you are an expert in photography, that's why you can talk like that

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    I think you've more or less found your answer

online comparison (though its the AF-D)
    Yes, I almost got what I want, but I'm still curious about these lens, that's why I put the question in this forum, I know there is an experience photographer here and I can find more information here about each lens character.
    btw, thanks for your link.

I like this forum (ClubSNAP) gather more information for all about photography.

Quote Originally Posted by asdfg View Post
    Okay well to be honest, you can't go wrong with either. You use your MF confirmation indicator in the viewfinder, your eyes and try to hit the focus with the zeiss. Takes a lot of practice and wasted shots but i find MF far more rewarding. Both are sharp wide open but it's best to stop down like most primes. If you don't want to rent, go to a camera store and have a feel of both lenses. There's an interesting thing to consider about the build of the zeiss vs the new pro nikon primes (non super tele primes, i.e. 24, 35, 85 1.4). The build doesn't consist of a metal barrel but it's not poor construction, when you tap on them they feel a bit plasticky but apparently have rubber gaskets and beter weatherproofing. The Zeiss on the other hand has an insanely awesome MF ring and is all metal, but as far as i know lack the gaskets to keep light rain out, so you'd probably be more hesitant to use it in all sorts of weather and places. It's a different sort of build..more like feel of the lens vs functionality and ruggedness, i'm not sure how else to put it.
    I got what you mean, For build zeiss is like a tank. Nikkor more plasticky like my 24-70, but I believe nikkor made with a good material.
    How about the "bokeh" and the 3D view, do you have an experience from zeiss lens?

as a former zeiss 85 owner, i'll chip in my one cent here

both the nikon 85 and the zeiss 85 have excellent bokeh, although in my own perception it seems that the zeiss gives a bit more contrast in the out of focus areas. resolution wise, both are excellent, but with my limited experience, the zeiss seems psychologically a little snappier, i.e. in focus and out of focus objects are quite distinct, the nikon has a smoother transition from oof to in focus areas.

the only useful advice from me here, is not to focus too much on the optical performance of both lenses as both are excellent, instead shift 50% focus onto your shooting experience. will the zeiss give you the shooting experience that you desire? i.e. more control, more interactive, slight forward or slight backward focussing as and when you like? i went zeiss back then because manual focus slowed me down to carefully look at the scene, autofocus made me too trigger happy, the zeiss was a joy to use, and was a lovely experience. if you like thinks a bit automated, then perhaps the nikon is the way to go.
    pedantic.

Blog Entries

Say... have you considered the Nikon 85/1.4 Ais and the Samyang 85/1.4?

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123
    More poison for TS. Gonna get a headache soon haha
    There are no bad photographers, only photos that could've been done better
    My Flickr

Blog Entries

Or even the Sigma 85/1.4 HSM...

Hi TS, just sharing my personal observations (no scientific tests done).
    I use Nikon G lenses n Zeiss ZF lenses on my D700 and D3s.
    I own a ZF Makro Planar 50mm/f2 & Makro Planar 100mm/f2. I also have the Nikkor AFS 50mm/f1.4. I don't own any 85mm lenses. I shoot half body n full body portraits w the Makro Planar wide open at f2. I shoot tighter head or head & shoulder shots with the Makro Planar 100mm at f2.

Now for the opinions between Zeiss and Nikkor.
    The Zeiss is definitely built stronger, very high quality finish, gives very pleasant co our n tone gradation, and somewhat 'milky' bokeh, and is manual focus only. If you like these characteristics, then Zeiss is for you.
    The Nikkor tends to use more plastics, can use manual and auto focus. Generally, the Nikkors are more contrasty, thereby would not register the tone gradation the the ZF can differentiate.

Hope this helps
    Fred
    Nikon (D3s, D700), Fujifilm (X-Pro 1, X-E1, GF670), Hasselblad (503CXi, 903SWC)

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123

The damage is done. Good luck TS in deciding which to get......
    There are no bad photographers, only photos that could've been done better
    My Flickr

Hi, hahahah, you give me another choice, but those lens are not in my mind, so I will skip to review those lens, Ais is too old I think and for Samyang I don't like the contrast, it's too over for me.
    but any way, your opinion it's make sense due to the price is lower then zeiss and nikkor.

I have experience with Sigma, I don't like that lens, before I have ones for my 7D, but guess what's happen? the lens is bad copy, I changed 3 times with the new one, but still the same problem, I calibrate it's not fixing anything, so I refund to get the cash. So, I never trust Sigma (sorry only my 2 cents)

Quote Originally Posted by sf_kang View Post
    Hi TS, just sharing my personal observations (no scientific tests done).
    I use Nikon G lenses n Zeiss ZF lenses on my D700 and D3s.
    I own a ZF Makro Planar 50mm/f2 & Makro Planar 100mm/f2. I also have the Nikkor AFS 50mm/f1.4. I don't own any 85mm lenses. I shoot half body n full body portraits w the Makro Planar wide open at f2. I shoot tighter head or head & shoulder shots with the Makro Planar 100mm at f2.

Now for the opinions between Zeiss and Nikkor.
    The Zeiss is definitely built stronger, very high quality finish, gives very pleasant co our n tone gradation, and somewhat 'milky' bokeh, and is manual focus only. If you like these characteristics, then Zeiss is for you.
    The Nikkor tends to use more plastics, can use manual and auto focus. Generally, the Nikkors are more contrasty, thereby would not register the tone gradation the the ZF can differentiate.

Hope this helps
    Fred
    Hi Fred, thank you for you opinion, that's make sense and help me to think for zeiss . You have a very good series of your lens, I never try the macro planar, but I've seen sample from those lens, guess what? I'm impress for the result, all very sharp and the tone I like it.

The damage is done. Good luck TS in deciding which to get......
    thanks Man. get more confused
    but don't worry I'll be wise to choose which one is the best, maybe..... zeiss :thumbsup

Blog Entries

Hi, hahahah, you give me another choice, but those lens are not in my mind, so I will skip to review those lens, Ais is too old I think and for Samyang I don't like the contrast, it's too over for me.
    but any way, your opinion it's make sense due to the price is lower then zeiss and nikkor.
    For the Samyang, some reviewers place its performance on par or even exceed that of both the CZ and the Nikon G from apertures F1.4 to F4. Samyang 85 really falters with apertures smaller than F4. But you get these lenses to shoot at wide apertures no? And Ais, though old, is one of the legendary lenses. Many till this day still claim that the Ais is better than their AF-D counterparts. I personally believe this to be the case for many Ais lenses. And you can ask Ben Ang about this as well, as he is a connoisseur of older antique lenses.

I have experience with Sigma, I don't like that lens, before I have ones for my 7D, but guess what's happen? the lens is bad copy, I changed 3 times with the new one, but still the same problem, I calibrate it's not fixing anything, so I refund to get the cash. So, I never trust Sigma (sorry only my 2 cents)
    I feel sorry abour your experiences with Sigma lenses. Their primes, actually work much better on FF bodies. I have 3 Sigma primes myself. The (late model) 50mm and 85mm both worked flawlessly on my D700 and D300s. Only the 24mm have some front focusing issues on the D300s (works fine after I tuned the AF), but works perfect on the D700. But on my copy of the 85mm, it performed so good that I chose it over the Nikon 1.4G.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 23rd February 2012 at 01:39 PM.

And Ais, though old, is one of the legendary lenses. Many till this day still claim that the Ais is better than their AF-D counterparts. I personally believe this to be the case for many Ais lenses. And you can ask Ben Ang about this as well, as he is a connoisseur of older antique lenses.
    Thanks, daredevil123. i've been eying this thread but had nothing solid to say but now... haha. i've been looking out for the 85 1.4 AIS for a long time now(≈3 years); heard so many good things about it though havent tried it yet. but for a 30 y/o lens to sell at US$800+ for a good condition copy (almost in line with the AF-D alrd ) i'm sure there's something to it. even the 135 f2 ais (pretty fantastic) sells for quite abit less.. i'll have to try it some day, but i've yet to be able to justify the cost.

speaking of old, i think there's some truth to that and the older coatings can be inferior.. with the ais lenses though, they alrd have nikon's NIC and im currently trying to test if there is a difference in rendition btwn that and more modern AF-S lenses.. my initial impressions say the difference is either absent or very minimal, but i ll need more time at it.

anw, bottom line: IMO if you're considering the ZF, there's really no reason not to consider the AIS 85 1.4 =)
    F3, FTN, D700, just primes =)
    http://littleredcake.smugmug.com/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Ang View Post
    Thanks, daredevil123. i've been eying this thread but had nothing solid to say but now... haha. i've been looking out for the 85 1.4 AIS for a long time now(≈3 years); heard so many good things about it though havent tried it yet. but for a 30 y/o lens to sell at US$800+ for a good condition copy (almost in line with the AF-D alrd ) i'm sure there's something to it. even the 135 f2 ais (pretty fantastic) sells for quite abit less.. i'll have to try it some day, but i've yet to be able to justify the cost.

speaking of old, i think there's some truth to that and the older coatings can be inferior.. with the ais lenses though, they alrd have nikon's NIC and im currently trying to test if there is a difference in rendition btwn that and more modern AF-S lenses.. my initial impressions say the difference is either absent or very minimal, but i ll need more time at it.

anw, bottom line: IMO if you're considering the ZF, there's really no reason not to consider the AIS 85 1.4 =)
    I came by 2 pieces of the 85/1.4 ais... one going for SGD$600 and the other going for SGD$700. Alas... I did not pull the trigger fast enough both times... Ended up with a 85/2ai which I eventually sold when my needs for AF became a priority at one point in time.

And TS, you need to realize, there is no best. Each lens gives a different character. You really need to know what is the kind of feel you are looking for.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 23rd February 2012 at 01:36 PM.

For the Samyang, some reviewers place its performance on par or even exceed that of both the CZ and the Nikon G from apertures F1.4 to F4. Samyang 85 really falters with apertures smaller than F4. But you get these lenses to shoot at wide apertures no? And Ais, though old, is one of the legendary lenses. Many till this day still claim that the Ais is better than their AF-D counterparts. I personally believe this to be the case for many Ais lenses. And you can ask Ben Ang about this as well, as he is a connoisseur of older antique lenses.

I feel sorry abour your experiences with Sigma lenses. Their primes, actually work much better on FF bodies. I have 3 Sigma primes myself. The (late model) 50mm and 85mm both worked flawlessly on my D700 and D300s. Only the 24mm have some front focusing issues on the D300s, but works perfect on the D700. But on my copy of the 85mm, it performed so good that I chose it over the Nikon 1.4G.
    Mmmmm, Samyang is make sense price , I saw some pictures of my friend were taking with samyang, I don't like the tone, it's too warm. The BO build it's not though like zeiss, so I'm not consider about that lens.
    Any way thanks for you explanation about Samyang.

Hi Ben Ang,
    thanks for your opinion regarding the manual focus lens, but for 85 1.4 AiS the price it's too expensive, as you say that's 30 y/o lens, how come?
    Something special about the character, such as bokeh, sharpness, tone, contrast?

your statement in blue, that's poison...

I came by 2 pieces of the 85/1.4 ais... one going for SGD$600 and the other going for SGD$700. Alas... I did not pull the trigger fast enough both times... Ended up with a 85/2ai which I eventually sold when my needs for AF became a priority at one point in time.

And TS, you need to realize, there is no best. Each lens gives a different character. You really need to know what is the kind of feel you are looking for.
    I agree with your statement in blue, but some how I want to get the best lens, Now I understand, different type of lens will give different color, contrast and bokeh, so I must choose which one is my character. At least I can figure it out for zeiss, nikkor even Ais lens, I'll keep searching get more information for each lens and I'll rent each lens, but for Ais, I don't think so they have.

Thanks man

sorry double post.
    Last edited by luckysmurfin; 23rd February 2012 at 01:44 PM.

Blog Entries

Mmmmm, Samyang is make sense price , I saw some pictures of my friend were taking with samyang, I don't like the tone, it's too warm. The BO build it's not though like zeiss, so I'm not consider about that lens.
    Any way thanks for you explanation about Samyang.

Hi Ben Ang,
    thanks for your opinion regarding the manual focus lens, but for 85 1.4 AiS the price it's too expensive, as you say that's 30 y/o lens, how come?
    Something special about the character, such as bokeh, sharpness, tone, contrast?

Just a note, warm or not, WB plays a part also. But it is up to you. As for build, if you do not like Samyang build, then you can forget 85/1.4G as well, it has a more plasticky build than the Samyang.

And what is the 85/1.4 ais capable of? Not too shaby...

Photography by Guy Van Hooveld: 85 1.4 AIS
    ภาžˆาสารžั”€ล™ส Œมือหมุ™š™ล‰อ‡can on
    Deciding on MF-lens for d700 (85 1.4 AI, ZF 85 1.4 or lux 80 1.4) - FM Forums
    http://photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/005KcV
    Last edited by daredevil123; 23rd February 2012 at 01:59 PM.

thats a really good price! should have gone for it >< sadly, the 85 f2 is rubbish.. it really doesnt stand up to the 85 1.8 pre AI.

Hi Ben Ang,

honestly, i've no idea.. but im guessing contrast is higher and LOCA better controlled cos its not a rear focus config(compared to AF-D). prices may also be abit inflated cos of collectors value, but i think its no slouch and certainly stands up to the AF-D in all the examples i ve seen.

i will avoid the samyang for only 1 reason and that's the lens coating. its subtle, but it'll make a difference in the micro contrast of the image. i'm not saying its bad, i just don't know how it performs. for example, some of the pre AI lenses though have fantastic oof rendition and sharpness but lack the bite of modern glass. i've a cz 45 2.8 T* which has killer tones, i believe, from the T* coating, and AIS glass seems to perform well wrt contrast though i sometimes miss the 'bite', but i know the fast primes were all optimised for portrait shooting (50 1.2, 105 1.8, 135 2 at least) and give unbeatable skin tones so you cant really go wrong there.

i don't know what look you're going for, but from what i've observed:

85 1.4 N --- crystal clear, tweak to anything in post
    85 1.4 D --- crisp-slightly smooth
    ZF 85 --- crisp, solid and 3-D; 'zeiss-y'; may not fit all the time, but when it does its unbeatable
    AIS --- real to life, involving, possibly the 'best' skin tones
    85 1.8 pre ai --- moody atmosphere when overcast; very natural when sunny; not as good in artificial light

from samples the samyang it gave me a smudgy feeling i didn't take well to.

of course you might be able to recreate some of these in post, but if you re interested in what the lens itself does that might serve as a guideline. do note, i ve not used any of these for an extended period of time and i draw my conclusion based on my experience with the different coatings in various other lenses.

as added poison, this is what i feel sets the T* apart from the rest of my nikkor glass =P 45/2.8

Last edited by Ben Ang; 23rd February 2012 at 02:44 PM.
    F3, FTN, D700, just primes =)
    http://littleredcake.smugmug.com/

I like your answer, that's why I'm asking a question and get an opinion for not a cheap lens.

Thanks for your opinion.

Yeah Zeiss is the best way to get, but I still confused about the image quality in wide open (f1.4), is it quite sharp or not, that's why I need a picture to proof zeiss is a good lens.
    Why have you not done a very simple, basic, google search? What you need are reviews of both lenses from 1 site, so that all testing and sample images are one in the same lighting, same setting, etc.

Zeiss Planar T* 85mm f/1.4 ZF (FX) - Review / Test Report

Nikkor AF-S 85mm f/1.4 G (FX) - Review / Test Report
    Alpha

Just a note, warm or not, WB plays a part also. But it is up to you. As for build, if you do not like Samyang build, then you can forget 85/1.4G as well, it has a more plasticky build than the Samyang.

And what is the 85/1.4 ais capable of? Not too shaby...
    Thanks for your link, that's poison for me . The AiS it's a great color tone, I like that tone so natural different character with nikkor af-s and zeiss. May be that's why the price is stable.

thats a really good price! should have gone for it >< sadly, the 85 f2 is rubbish.. it really doesnt stand up to the 85 1.8 pre AI.

honestly, i've no idea.. but im guessing contrast is higher and LOCA better controlled cos its not a rear focus config(compared to AF-D). prices may also be abit inflated cos of collectors value, but i think its no slouch and certainly stands up to the AF-D in all the examples i ve seen.

i will avoid the samyang for only 1 reason and that's the lens coating. its subtle, but it'll make a difference in the micro contrast of the image. i'm not saying its bad, i just don't know how it performs. for example, some of the pre AI lenses though have fantastic oof rendition and sharpness but lack the bite of modern glass. i've a cz 45 2.8 T* which has killer tones, i believe, from the T* coating, and AIS glass seems to perform well wrt contrast though i sometimes miss the 'bite', but i know the fast primes were all optimised for portrait shooting (50 1.2, 105 1.8, 135 2 at least) and give unbeatable skin tones so you cant really go wrong there.

i don't know what look you're going for, but from what i've observed:

85 1.4 N --- crystal clear, tweak to anything in post
    85 1.4 D --- crisp-slightly smooth
    ZF 85 --- crisp, solid and 3-D; 'zeiss-y'; may not fit all the time, but when it does its unbeatable
    AIS --- real to life, involving, fantastic skin tones
    85 1.8 pre ai --- moody atmosphere when overcast; very natural when sunny; not as good in artificial light

from samples the samyang it gave me a smudgy feeling i didn't take well to.

of course you might be able to recreate some of these in post, but if you re interested in what the lens itself does that might serve as a guideline. do note, i ve not used any of these for an extended period of time and i draw my conclusion based on my experience with the different coatings in various other lenses.

as added poison, this is what i feel sets the T* apart from the rest of my nikkor glass =P 45/2.8

Hi Ben Ang,
    I'm very appreciate for your explanation, quick and deep review , picture is excellent, I like it.
    Samyang, mmmm maybe that's why the cost cheap, maybe the coating is not though like other nikkor lens or zeiss.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast