Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Be very careful, always check blind spot.

Quote Originally Posted by tsdh
    hmmm... if somebody keep driving at the right-lane at 70 km/h on the road with 70 km/h speed limit, will he/she considered as road-hogging?
    No matter what road, YES. Especially if there's little or no cars on the left lane, there's no reason for anyone to be on the right lane unless you are exiting right in fifty meters...

Wanna keep at the speed limt on the right lane? what if the driver on your left is going at 68km per hour? The two of you will be hogging up the entire two lane road for at least 10mins, and that will lead to a pile up of cars behind the two of you just because you refuse to speed up a weeny bit just enuff to overtake the bugger on the left lane safely and maintain your speed limits..

Just pray hard there's no ambulance behind the pile up that you cause...

i don't drive very often in singapore but do you find that the left or right signal is almost useless when used to change lanes... very rarely you are given the chance to go in unless u squeeze in. i have driven in other countries that almost everytime i signal, I can do my change of lanes because the other drivers give way.

Quote Originally Posted by Cursor
    Since we are on the topic on driving, Can I just check how you all signal to the other party that you are giving way for them?
    In UK, flashing the high beam once or twice is to indicate that you are giving way for them and let them prepare to filter into your lane infront of your car.
    In Singapore and even Malaysia, high beaming flashes is normally taken as a warning of danger or to be more alert . It is not a signal of giving way.

I will take it as the reverse message in Singapore - ie I will not switch lane but move back to my own laneif right side car shown high beam flash : trusting that there is possible danger.

Another situation:
    If you wish to help a vehicle behind you to overtake your can, the way to do is quite standard (you will probably is aware, but nevertheless illustrated below) :

a. Check ahead and ensure that it is safe for the other vehicle to overtake you,
    b. If it is clear, signal left and slow down till the other car can overtake you safely.

Quote Originally Posted by chaotic
    i don't drive very often in singapore but do you find that the left or right signal is almost useless when used to change lanes... very rarely you are given the chance to go in unless u squeeze in. i have driven in other countries that almost everytime i signal, I can do my change of lanes because the other drivers give way.
    We must always try to give way when the other party signal. This is the correct way of driving.
    In Singapore, the culture of driving is not 'social dancing' but one of racing and getting ahead. It will be a very dangerous culture to propagate. We must not become poor drivers ourselves because this is happening on the road. When I was young, I drove like a real idiot at times. After years of driving, I now drive at 80 kmph on the slow lane and enjoy my safe drive.
    Many new drivers may not understand even certain facts listed below:

a. Older people have a slower reflexes and they are also legal road user.
    b. Older people loses their peripheral sight and need more time to register signals. Respect them.
    c. Old and heavy cars cannot accelerate/decelerate fast.
    d. It is downright unethical and dangerous to switch lane without signaling.
    e. Do not drive more than 2 hours without a break.
    f. It is three times more dangerous to drive at sunset hours.
    g. Switching on the head light during poor visibility is to help others to see us and not to light up the road in front of us.
    h. During severe poor visbility situation like a thunderstorm, the head light is not enough but high beam may be very necessary for others to see us.

I think may be good for someone to start a thread on good driving habits. Do feel free to add on.

Quote Originally Posted by chaotic
    I don't agree. Even a faction of signals is better than no signal at all. I always signal. The very very least signalling does is to give warning to the other party. Whether they've time enough to react is another matter. That is not to say signal and move without giving the other party due consideration is acceptable. Most Mercs & BMWs signalcators are almost brand new the day the car is scraped. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by nova_nebula
    I don't agree. Even a faction of signals is better than no signal at all. I always signal. The very very least signalling does is to give warning to the other party. Whether they've time enough to react is another matter. That is not to say signal and move without giving the other party due consideration is acceptable. Most Mercs & BMWs signalcators are almost brand new the day the car is scraped. Go figure.
    Cos the signal is on the left side of the steering wheel, and comparatively, need an extra action of lifting left hand to steering wheel and signalling as compared to just using a finger to flick the signal without moving an arm..
    Lazy buggers..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123