Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Be very careful, always check blind spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Cursor
    Since we are on the topic on driving, Can I just check how you all signal to the other party that you are giving way for them?
    In UK, flashing the high beam once or twice is to indicate that you are giving way for them and let them prepare to filter into your lane infront of your car.

It's the complete opposite here. Flashing the high beam is akin to sounding the horn.

To signal my intention of giving way, I slow down to give him the space, and sometimes I signal the other direction to where he's signalling.

Nikonsiao, I have had the near experience of an accident from forgetting to check my blind spots too....now I good boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cursor
    Since we are on the topic on driving, Can I just check how you all signal to the other party that you are giving way for them?
    In UK, flashing the high beam once or twice is to indicate that you are giving way for them and let them prepare to filter into your lane infront of your car.
    For me, I'll just go slow. I guess it's quite intuitive. Flashing the high beam is a big no-no in SG.

It is very irritating and dangerous if someone flashing his car beam from my back when im looking into the rear mirror.. esp at night, it can blind my eyes for awhile!!

Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    Nothing beats turning around to check the blind spot, the image in the mirror is too tiny to be very useful.

Be safe, not sorry.
    Note that some vans have blind spots (the left side) that can't be checked by turning around... I was just driving one that day and was terribly uncomfortable that I can't turn around to check my blind spot... I just had to turn very slowly which looking at where I was turning and checking the mirror at the same time to make sure nothing is coming near.

Quote Originally Posted by satan_18349
    It is very irritating and dangerous if someone flashing his car beam from my back when im looking into the rear mirror.. esp at night, it can blind my eyes for awhile!!
    It depends very much on where you come from... In Laos for example, flashing the headlamps is a signal of consideration to tell people "Be careful, vehicle approaching"..

It's a courteous gesture and is frequently returned with an acknowledgement or smile.. And yes... especially at night...

i think different countries have different uses for the high beam. in singapore it means that if i were to be beamed i had done something wrong. in malaysia if you see people beaming you know a speed check point is ahead...i guess its up to the locals in their respective country to have their own uses for the high beam.
    I hate to be beamed cos it can be very irritating and true enough, we can be blinded momentary.

Quote Originally Posted by nikonsiao
    i think different countries have different uses for the high beam. in singapore it means that if i were to be beamed i had done something wrong. in malaysia if you see people beaming you know a speed check point is ahead...i guess its up to the locals in their respective country to have their own uses for the high beam.
    I hate to be beamed cos it can be very irritating and true enough, we can be blinded momentary.
    Definately prefer to be beamed rather than horned.. In Australia, drivers high beam to give way too, and to give warning of speed camera's like malysians do. Think its such a more refined culture. Ever notice how singaporeans have no way to signal to the other party when we wana give way?? not a very condusive environment...

And for those reading this thread, PLEASE DO NOT CHANGE YOUR FACTORY LIGHTS. The blinding led lights are really irritating even when not high beaming. And if you notice, a teeny flick of a high beam DO NOT blind. Its just that for singaporeans, since high beam is more of a "DONT CROSS MY PATH" warning, the high beam becomes a constant 'blare', THEN its blinding..
    For those who experience quite a bit of tail gating and high beams on the expressway in singapore, I SUSPECT YOU R ROADHOGGING... Try keeping left when not overtaking.. and that applies to small roads too.

Quote Originally Posted by stingraytan
    Definately prefer to be beamed rather than horned.. In Australia, drivers high beam to give way too, and to give warning of speed camera's like malysians do. Think its such a more refined culture. Ever notice how singaporeans have no way to signal to the other party when we wana give way?? not a very condusive environment...

And for those reading this thread, PLEASE DO NOT CHANGE YOUR FACTORY LIGHTS. The blinding led lights are really irritating even when not high beaming. And if you notice, a teeny flick of a high beam DO NOT blind. Its just that for singaporeans, since high beam is more of a "DONT CROSS MY PATH" warning, the high beam becomes a constant 'blare', THEN its blinding..
    For those who experience quite a bit of tail gating and high beams on the expressway in singapore, I SUSPECT YOU R ROADHOGGING... Try keeping left when not overtaking.. and that applies to small roads too.

Hahaha..you sound like you had a woke up on the wrong side of bed... how's the traffic this morning to work? Dun worry, i believe all of us sure will encounter clowns or jokers here in singapore. it makes us more interesting. just be safe, watch out for others and ourselves....be safe..

I noticed that there's an unwritten code of speed limits on the expressway, and it's those motorists who fail to take note of this unwritten rule that invokes the wrath of the other motorists. It goes like this...

Lane 1 - at least 110 km/h
    Lane 2 - at least 90 km/h
    Lane 3 - at least 70 km/h
    Lane 4 - at least 60 km/h

Lane 4 is the slowest lane, so if you're stuck behind a slow vehicle, you've got not reason to complain, so just signal and filter out. Lane 2 and 3 are for the most of us who prefer a relaxed drive at moderate speeds. Lane 1 is supposed to be the overtaking lane, so theorectically you should not stay there for long. But in practical driving, the speeds reached are usually 110km/h or more. So unless you're comfortable driving at that speed over a long distance, get out of there.

Motorists who genuinely believe the speed limit of 90km/h applies to Lane 1, and even lesser speeds for other lanes, will certainly piss off other road users!

Its always a challenge, u've gotta mind read the other party's intentions and feel when he is slowing down to give way to u.

Of cos, there are idiots who APPEAR to be giving way to u when they are actually trying to scare u by slowing down and cutting in, revving their engines all the way.

Vroooommm.....

that's the reason why people invented a round small mirror to stick to your left and right car's mirrors, so that you can see the blind spot.

In Merces car, their mirrors are a little wider and NO BLIND SPOT
    DR KOH KHO KING

Yeah, I hate those modified headlights that blind at night... I just flick back the rear view mirror (its got this special angle) to cancel the effect.

In Singapore to do nothing is to give way. Better yet slow down enough so that the other party can discern the change is your speed. On the contrary action, speed up is to say "...to hell I'll give way to you" which is often followed shorting with blasting horn and hopefully no crashing sound.
    I've been riding motorbike for the past 30 years (still riding bike & driving car) and from observation, Unsafe Bikers replacement is faster than their attrition rate. Alot of bikers do not undertstand the perilous position they are in by riding at blind spot of vehicles, by overtaking between two vehicles, cutting infront of a moving vehicle, not signalling their intention, stopping to the front side of cars making it difficult for the cars to pass them safely as almost all bikers move off unsteadily from standing start. These are my gripe about bikers and I don't see it going away in any near future. Mind you, there are many conscientious riders out there BUT there aren't enough of them to make a difference. As for Inconsiderate drivers, ahh, that well be the subject of another thread. ;^)

Quote Originally Posted by nova_nebula
    In Singapore to do nothing is to give way. Better yet slow down enough so that the other party can discern the change is your speed. On the contrary action, speed up is to say "...to hell I'll give way to you" which is often followed shorting with blasting horn and hopefully no crashing sound.
    I've been riding motorbike for the past 30 years (still riding bike & driving car) and from observation, Unsafe Bikers replacement is faster than their attrition rate. Alot of bikers do not undertstand the perilous position they are in by riding at blind spot of vehicles, by overtaking between two vehicles, cutting infront of a moving vehicle, not signalling their intention, stopping to the front side of cars making it difficult for the cars to pass them safely as almost all bikers move off unsteadily from standing start. These are my gripe about bikers and I don't see it going away in any near future. Mind you, there are many conscientious riders out there BUT there aren't enough of them to make a difference. As for Inconsiderate drivers, ahh, that well be the subject of another thread. ;^)
    well said...i think there are black sheeps from both sides thats why the accident rate is still high...when slowing down also need to watch out for back as there might be another inconsiderate fellow who will just beam and horn you....

Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    Nothing beats turning around to check the blind spot, the image in the mirror is too tiny to be very useful.

Be safe, not sorry.
    These round blind spot mirrors are actually very effective and useful. U can see clearly without having to turn your head to check the blind spots. I have been using them for years and saved my neck more wear and tear from the turning.

I SUSPECT YOU R ROADHOGGING... Try keeping left when not overtaking.. and that applies to small roads too.
    hmmm... if somebody keep driving at the right-lane at 70 km/h on the road with 70 km/h speed limit, will he/she considered as road-hogging?

depending on which road. if highway YES. if trunk road OK.

depending on which road. if highway YES. if trunk road OK.
    Thanks for your reply.
    I always found myself to be a road-hogger if I try to obey the speed limit, especially on the quiet and long road, whether it is in a highway or trunk road.

This might help. Though its left-hand drive, the idea is the same.

http://www.canadiandirect.com/Renderer.jhtml.89.html

Alot of bikers do not undertstand the perilous position they are in by riding at blind spot of vehicles, by overtaking between two vehicles, cutting infront of a moving vehicle, not signalling their intention, stopping to the front side of cars making it difficult for the cars to pass them safely as almost all bikers move off unsteadily from standing start. These are my gripe about bikers and I don't see it going away in any near future.
    totally agree... why be at the front line of traffic lights and in between 2 cars when you are going to be soooo bloody slow at start up?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast