Thread: Where is the best place to get a Zippo lighter?

Default Where is the best place to get a Zippo lighter?

Recommendation?

Far East .
    people park complex.
    Objection !!!

not sure how much of a collector you are but at Tiong Baru Plaza..there is a shop selling alot of cool stuff for young teens ( including tatoo works) they are moving so is having some closing down sale. They have a shelf of Zippo lighter on sale...you might want to check it out. I have a few myself but I will not part with mine...not bought locally. Beside..they help remind me why I have stopped smoking for the past 2 yrs heh.

IS cheaper at mustaffa

There was this local fella bringing in zippos on his own straight from the US at a discount off retail prices, any model on the zippo website... he's got a local website, you can check it out... www.zipsho.com

Can someone teach me how to light up a zippo? I never use 1 before but my best friend gave me 1 as bday gift.

there are alot of fake zippos ard the shop esp those in far east...

anyway.. Zippos are life time warrenty

how to light? buy the zippo refill...

Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    Can someone teach me how to light up a zippo? I never use 1 before but my best friend gave me 1 as bday gift.
    haha astin you got top it up with lighter fluid? You got to pull out the insert and fill the cotton wool inside with lighter fluid. Then you put it all together again, open the cap and flick the flint. Then you gotta wave it around and around and blow on it very hard to put it out. In between, try and light your cigarette.

Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    Har...? Do you smoke? If you do, then waah lao aeh! I tot all smokers will know how to light a zippo.

If you're talking about refilling:
    1. Pull the lighter body out of its metal case. (Must use strenght, new ones are not seasoned yet)
    2. Pump the refill fluid into the wool inserts till its damp.
    3. Put the body back into its metal case. (Add a drop of lighter fluid to the wick if its new)
    4. Light it like any disposable lighter.

Have fun with your zippo!
    Last edited by afbug; 8th December 2004 at 10:48 PM. Reason: grammer!

Just wondering.. What is so unique about a Zippo?
    Is it the outer chassis or the inner mechanism?

Dad got a Jim Beam one, doesn't seem to be working.. dunno y oso..
    And isit possible to buy new chassis? It's scratched badly.

Quote Originally Posted by ptred
    Just wondering.. What is so unique about a Zippo?
    Is it the outer chassis or the inner mechanism?

Dad got a Jim Beam one, doesn't seem to be working.. dunno y oso..
    And isit possible to buy new chassis? It's scratched badly.
    Its the unique sound when you flip it open, branding and design. Quite durable too.

But i dunno is it possible to buy a new case/chassis. I'm no zippo expert.

Quote Originally Posted by tingchiyen
    Then you gotta wave it around and around and blow on it very hard to put it out.

Blowing out a zippo flame is uncool.

Just flick the cover back to put out the flame.

Quote Originally Posted by afbug
    Its the unique sound when you flip it open, branding and design. Quite durable too.

But i dunno is it possible to buy a new case/chassis. I'm no zippo expert.
    True. The sound is real cool.

And the flame wun die. Only way to put it out is to shut the cover.

There is this other guy sellin Zippos on another forum for $26 (2004 series). Got mine from him.

Nice sound? Dupont's one of the best sounding.

Quote Originally Posted by Yildun

Blowing out a zippo flame is uncool.

Just flick the cover back to put out the flame.
    Dun think he meant it and does it.

Wah, try doing that in town, huffing and puffing to put out the flame.....

OT a bit hor..

Which parts of a Zippo can be replaced?

Can the burnt out core be changed?

Which part are u refering to as the "core"?
    You can buy replacement for the flint and the wick.

Quote Originally Posted by ptred
    OT a bit hor..

Which parts of a Zippo can be replaced?

Can the burnt out core be changed?
    Basically, Zippo lighters are so BASIC that they last and last for years. I have one that is already 15 yrs and still works great.

The only things you need to change are the the flame's wick ( the string which you call the core) You can buy original zippo wick from most MAMA store. There is also the need to put in a new FLINT that part that you flick the wheel to grind a small tubular material to spark the flame on the wick. Original FLINT replacement comes in a pack of about 10 if I recall correctly. ( abit blur now since I have given up smoking for about 1 1/2 yrs )

To replace the FLINT is very simple and you know you have already wore out the one that is in the lighter. When you flick the wheel, you get no spark and I advise you don't try too many times because since the FLINT is wore out..it actually slips out of the holder and what is pushing against the rough wheel is the stopper and you dont want to deform it by filing it down with your flicking.

Just unscrew the large screw at the bottom where you find the cottom that soaks and retain the lighter fluid. When you unscrew it..it will pop out along with a long spring and at the other end of it is the stopper that holds and pushes the FLINT up against the wheel.

The cotton wool is hidden by that more dense off white material which helps to hold the cotton wool in place. Far as I know, you never need to change that at all. You might want to change the cotton wool but I doubt so lah. I have yet to change any of the ones found in my Zippos.

Okay..maybe you already know about that but just thought I explain that as well lah.

Anyway...those are the only things you need to change. Other then that...nothing else will break down! heheh.. Here is a product's whoes success is base on the mantra of " Less is More"

BTW..you dont need to get a new wick just becasue the one you have photographed here is not all used up if this is a newly bought lighter. All you need to do is use a plier and tug at it slowly to raise it to reveal some "fresh" portion of the wick that is hidden inside the container. It is quite a long wick! so it will last you quite a while and it also depend on how long you keep the flame lit each time. If pulling it out not possible, it might be stuck or wedge too tightly by the cotton wool inside that soaks up the Lighter fluid. Just unpack abit of the cotton to release abit of the compress pressure and then you should be able to pull it out abit.
    Last edited by sammy888; 11th December 2004 at 11:26 PM.

sivakandesh
    Guests

Default Re: Where is the best place to get a Zippo lighter?

Hi u guys i am currently looking for a black ice zippo...what do u think is the raf price for it and can anyone tell me where i can get it cheaper...my phone number is 83376563 u can msg me anytime.