Thread: Leica Stupid question but .....

Default Leica Stupid question but .....

i have heard that the canon g2 can be fitted on the sb28

so can the leica m6 or m7 fit on the sb28??

Btw anyone have the m6??
    how is it compared to the contax G2 in terms of price against performance

Default Re: Leica Stupid question but .....

Originally posted by nicholas1986
    i have heard that the canon g2 can be fitted on the sb28

so can the leica m6 or m7 fit on the sb28??

Btw anyone have the m6??
    how is it compared to the contax G2 in terms of price against performance
    SB28 can be used on ANY camera (Yes, any camera), but obviously TTL won't work. You can use Non-TTL Auto, where the exposure is measured via a sensor on the flash.

Forget the M6. It's a overpriced and overrated piece of crap. Why?

1. It's a fully manual camera, like the FM2. So why does it have to cost so much more? Yes, it's very well built, very quiet, but it still does not justify it's almost $3000 price tag. Might as well buy an F5.

2. Leica lenses are not a hell lot better than their NCMP counterparts at like f/8, but costs a lot more. (okay, they are sharp fully open but still...)

Leica is technologically backdated. Their appeal is only for collectors. See how long they took to have even Aperture Priority on their cameras? Even then, while the Nikon FM3A can work without batteries at all shutter speeds, the recent Leica M7 can only work at 1/30 and 1/50. And flash does not work when the M7 is not loaded with batteries.

Don't lust after the Leicas. It's simply not worth it. If you want to play with Rangefinders, go to eBay, and bid on a Canonet GIII QL17. It can be had for as little as US$20, gives you lots of fun and doesn't break the bank.

To your question, the Contax G2 is probably a better buy. But still overpriced.

Regards
    CK

Default Re: Re: Leica Stupid question but .....

Originally posted by ckiang
    Leica is technologically backdated. Their appeal is only for collectors. See how long they took to have even Aperture Priority on their cameras? Even then, while the Nikon FM3A can work without batteries at all shutter speeds, the recent Leica M7 can only work at 1/30 and 1/50. And flash does not work when the M7 is not loaded with batteries.
    Yeah one must remember that Leica has to introduce new fangled teknology slowy so that it's user base won't have a collective coronary while having to deal with complex concepts like TTL and Aperture Priority. ...
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Default Re: Re: Re: Leica Stupid question but .....

Originally posted by Ian

Yeah one must remember that Leica has to introduce new fangled teknology slowy so that it's user base won't have a collective coronary while having to deal with complex concepts like TTL and Aperture Priority. ...
    Hahaha. that's a good one, how can I miss this post?

I still wonder why so many people lust over the technologically backward Leicas? If anyone wants to go back to the stone age, there's still the Nikon FM2.

I tried an M3, I must admit it's a very well built piece of gear, but still, they are overpriced. Way overpriced. Just like Bose hifi (if you can still call them hifi).

Regards
    CK

Default Re: Re: Leica Stupid question but .....

Originally posted by ckiang

SB28 can be used on ANY camera (Yes, any camera), but obviously TTL won't work. You can use Non-TTL Auto, where the exposure is measured via a sensor on the flash.

Forget the M6. It's a overpriced and overrated piece of crap. Why?

1. It's a fully manual camera, like the FM2. So why does it have to cost so much more? Yes, it's very well built, very quiet, but it still does not justify it's almost $3000 price tag. Might as well buy an F5.

2. Leica lenses are not a hell lot better than their NCMP counterparts at like f/8, but costs a lot more. (okay, they are sharp fully open but still...)

Don't lust after the Leicas. It's simply not worth it. If you want to play with Rangefinders, go to eBay, and bid on a Canonet GIII QL17. It can be had for as little as US$20, gives you lots of fun and doesn't break the bank.

To your question, the Contax G2 is probably a better buy. But still overpriced.

Regards
    CK
    but i got one serious prob...see i am a student then how am i going to bid in ebay and pay for the thing

is there other way to get some cheapo rangefinder?

Ask your grandfather/grandmother, auntie/uncle (ie someone from another generation). If they haven't thrown away theirs, don't be surprised if they gladly lend/give it to you. If not, try the more reputable secondhand camera shops like The Camera Workshop at Peninular Shopping Centre or Prime at Peninsular Plaza. Last resort: beg or borrow!

but i got one serious prob...see i am a student then how am i going to bid in ebay and pay for the thing

Go to Peninsula area. I'm sure you can find some used rangefinders at reasonable prices.

CK, you sure the SB28 will fit ANY camera?

If you have problems bidding for a cheapo Canonet, then forget the Leicas.

If you want a relatively good rangefinder with interchangeable lenses, try the Voigtlander Bessa series. If I didn't remember wrongly, the older Bessa R + 50/1.5 costs less than a typical prosumer digital camera.

Regards
    CK

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Leica Stupid question but .....

Originally posted by Kit

Go to Peninsula area. I'm sure you can find some used rangefinders at reasonable prices.

CK, you sure the SB28 will fit ANY camera?
    It will fit any ISO hot shoe camera but may not work with a few. Definately won't fit Minoltas newer bodies as they use a non standard shoe.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Leica Stupid question but .....

Originally posted by Ian

It will fit any ISO hot shoe camera but may not work with a few. Definately won't fit Minoltas newer bodies as they use a non standard shoe.
    Which ones? I thought it should work with any ISO standard shoe, and it has a pretty low trigger voltage. Hmm... maybe the Leicas?

Regards
    CK