Thread: SB 910 with D7000

Default SB 910 with D7000

I have never flash unit before and I just bot SB 910. I read the manual and I still not sure what it meant. How do I use SB 910 off camera without using the built in flash of D7000? Thanks.

Default Re: SB 910 with D7000

u must use the pop up flash from D7000 to trigger the remote flash, unless u have a 3rd party radio trigger.

Thanks baggiolee. What 3rd party radio trigger would you recommend and how much? I see you have 2 speedlight. Would 1 radio trigger able to control multiple flash units? Sorry if I sound silly

Blog Entries

With a D7000, you do not need radio triggers to use wireless off camera flashes. You can use the pop up flash as the commander to send instructions to your other flashes... Called Nikon CLS, it is TTL enabled.

if you use radio triggers, there are 2 kinds, the more standard ones just fire the flash. There is no TTL... basically you have to adjust your flash exposure manually. If you get TTL flash triggers (which are quite expensive), you get some TTL flash metering, but still need to understand how flash works to make the most of it.

Yup. Use ur d7000 as commander to trigger the sb910. I think either manual has a section to teach I how to set it up. Very simple procedure. Spend a bit of time to read the menu. Quite fun. Take note thought that your sb910 must b positioned to receive the commands (shld have a small receiver on one side of the unit).

Thanks so much for the contributions. I begin to understand flash a little. The 1st video is great to let me know I can use my D7000 built in flash as a trigger and by setting it to --, it does not add to the exposure. The 2nd video, I have a few questions. How actually do Groups and Channel function? Each flash at different locations must be in different Groups (A,B), and what does Channel do? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by jrdlim View Post
    Thanks so much for the contributions. I begin to understand flash a little. The 1st video is great to let me know I can use my D7000 built in flash as a trigger and by setting it to --, it does not add to the exposure. The 2nd video, I have a few questions. How actually do Groups and Channel function? Each flash at different locations must be in different Groups (A,B), and what does Channel do? Thanks in advance.
    u can set group a to be ur main flashes at certain power and group b as fill or something.. channels is when there is more than one photog shooting so u set to a different channel to prevent interference..
    Nikon D60|D7000|MB-D11|18-55VR|18-105VR|55-200VR|50 F1.8|Di866
    http://**********/u2jTNE

Quote Originally Posted by jrdlim View Post
    Thanks baggiolee. What 3rd party radio trigger would you recommend and how much? I see you have 2 speedlight. Would 1 radio trigger able to control multiple flash units? Sorry if I sound silly
    Yes, 1 radio trigger can control multiple flash units. However if you're shooting alone with no interference, just use the pop up flash as a commander. Nikon's CLS makes it so your pop up flash fires a split second ahead of the shutter actuation and does not have an impact in your image.
    Team FX Nikon
    Pet peeve: The word is 'lens', not 'len'

Quote Originally Posted by nickzkcin

Yes, 1 radio trigger can control multiple flash units. However if you're shooting alone with no interference, just use the pop up flash as a commander. Nikon's CLS makes it so your pop up flash fires a split second ahead of the shutter actuation and does not have an impact in your image.
    Just to add, you need a receiver for each flash unit and one trigger on your camera
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    Just to add, you need a receiver for each flash unit and one trigger on your camera
    huh? Nikon CLS leh.. built in one leh...

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    huh? Nikon CLS leh.. built in one leh...
    Oh, I was refering to his radio trigger part. In case he didn't buy the receiver for each of his flash.

Quote Originally Posted by nickzkcin

Possible to make pop up flash with output as well? At the same time also trigger off cam sb600. .
    i only replies to PM and nothing else..

Quote Originally Posted by sense rain

Possible to make pop up flash with output as well? At the same time also trigger off cam sb600. .
    Yes, you set within the commander mode I. Your manual how would each flash outputs. If you put -- for ur built in flash, the flash output will not be in the picture, but if you put -- for other groups, those flashes will not fire. Switch the mode for your built in flash to other modes for it to have flash outputs that affects ur final image.

Not truth,
    the flash from commander flash will still be seen in the photos when it set at --, especially shooting close up or highly reflected surface.

Nikon has this SG-31R IR Panel to overcome this issue.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

yap...if you look directly at the built in flash, u can still see it flashes.

btw, i think black tape can also work...lol.
    Last edited by baggiolee; 22nd February 2012 at 10:58 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by baggiolee View Post
    yap...if you look directly at the built in flash, u can still see it flashes.

btw, i think black tape can also work...lol.
    If you use black tape, the commander will not be able to send signals... IR still needs to pass through.

I thought can use the Nikon SU-800 Wireless Speedlight Commander Unit... then no need to use the built in flash???

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    If you use black tape, the commander will not be able to send signals... IR still needs to pass through.
    oh...true.

Quote Originally Posted by N-user View Post
    I thought can use the Nikon SU-800 Wireless Speedlight Commander Unit... then no need to use the built in flash???
    Nikon SU-800 is very useful, but it costs a few hundreds dollars,

the IR panel is less than twenty dollars.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    Nikon SU-800 is very useful, but it costs a few hundreds dollars,

the IR panel is less than twenty dollars.
    Oh... good to hear... maybe I will get one to play play... kekeke