Thread: Lubrication in the AF Mechenism

Default Lubrication in the AF Mechenism

Hi all! Recently, I have realized the AF on my 50mm 1.4 seem to be stuck at times and requires me to manually turn it a little before it starting to focus. It is a 3+, almost 4 year old lens. It is quite heavily used. And for a extended period of time, I have stored it in an overly dry environment (10%-20% humidity in a dry box). Therefore, I figured that maybe the lubrication has dried up.

Has anyone encountered similar problem? Anywhere I can go to apply more lubricant or at least checkup my lens (the warranty is over)? What is the cost roughly?

Many thanks in advance!

Default Re: Lubrication in the AF Mechenism

Regardless of the brand, the respective service center is always a good starting point. Other shops are listed in the FAQ section, photographic shops. Since nobody here can miraculously remotely assess the situation, we can only vaguely guess about the costs. It can be something small, it cold require changing parts, we don't know. None of my lenses stored for a longer time had such issues.
    Another article here in CS describes that the lubricants used today are completely free of any water and continue working well even under such extreme conditions as you suspect here.
    EOS

Hm... Alright. Looks like I must bring it somewhere for a check up before I can tell what exactly is wrong. Ok, I will do that I guess. Thanks!

Canon 50mm F1.4? It could be weak USM.
    9815-1974
    FB: Hilos Camera Repair

Quote Originally Posted by fatigue View Post
    Canon 50mm F1.4? It could be weak USM.
    Hello, fatigue. Nice to meet you. I've heard lots about you! If that is the problem, is there any way to strengthen it within a budget of S$200?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by area0404 View Post
    Hello, fatigue. Nice to meet you. I've heard lots about you! If that is the problem, is there any way to strengthen it within a budget of S$200?
    Milo? Baby Formula? Spinach? [SCNR]
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Milo? Baby Formula? Spinach? [SCNR]
    Hahahahaha! I will go with spinach. Popeye!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by area0404 View Post

Thanks!
    Strengthen? the only way I think is to replace the USM AF motor in the lens...With a new USM motor, the problem can still come back. This is a notorious problem with the Canon 50/1.4
    Last edited by daredevil123; 23rd February 2012 at 07:33 AM.

DD123 is right, no amount of Milo or spinach could strengthen the motor. Motor must me old and abused, it has to be replaced.
    The replacement motor is U$100 (inclusive of shipping) on line so your $200 should be enough.
    But I suggest you to ask for quote from CSC. They get the parts directly (3rd party repair like me usually get their parts thru middleman), so CSC might be able to give you a better quote.
    9815-1974
    FB: Hilos Camera Repair

Quote Originally Posted by fatigue View Post
    DD123 is right, no amount of Milo or spinach could strengthen the motor. Motor must me old and abused, it has to be replaced.
    The replacement motor is U$100 (inclusive of shipping) on line so your $200 should be enough.
    But I suggest you to ask for quote from CSC. They get the parts directly (3rd party repair like me usually get their parts thru middleman), so CSC might be able to give you a better quote.
    K thank you very much! I think I will just make do and maybe wait for the rumored 50 1.4 ii to come out! Hahahahahahaha!