Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can tell me what is wrong with my photograph?

Default Re: Can tell me what is wrong with my photograph?

Please straighten your framing as well..

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Photogenic View Post
    sorry, my mistake.. shld have been 22.. mine's 22 as well..
    There is no reason to extend the exposure, so as mentioned by someone else, where possible, do not go above F/16 because diffraction will set in.

Quote Originally Posted by tecnica
    go easy on the aperture, f8 or f9 should suffice.

set to base ISO and tweak shutter speed to compensate the exposure.

but i think you will hit the 30s limit with ISO 200.

aiya, just play around the 3 settings until the photo gets expose correctly.

without being physically at the location, it is very difficult to advise what kinda settings to use.
    Quote Originally Posted by spree86

Try not to go above f16, there might be lens diffraction. For such shots, f8-f11 is already more than enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos-

There is no reason to extend the exposure, so as mentioned by someone else, where possible, do not go above F/16 because diffraction will set in.
    i see i see.. thanks everyone.. i leaent smth too..
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography

The scene is one which is dimly lit with the windows being extremely bright ( relative to the surrounding).

Forget flash, its like you're trying to light up the earth with a torchlight.

You'll want as large an aperture as you can get. The downside is loss of depth of field and you might find blurred portions in yr pic, but there's no need to use f22. You're using a 28mm, 56mm on 4/3, you can't afford wide apertures. Try from the mid point as suggested, f11.

Since you're on a tripod, shutter speed is not a real concern. It will allow you to lower the iso to control noise and also aperture to maintain depth of field.

All the above will still unlikely achieve an evenly exposed shot. The contrast between the lit windows and the surrounding is just too great. HDR is your only real hope. Yes, it's not the same, but theres a reason why the feature exist. It's just not possible under the conditions.

If you're going to shoot this on yr own instead of using the HDR feature. It is preferable to use the manual mode to avoid the camera locking onto some spot and giving you settings you dont want.

Set the aperture. Set the iso. See what the meter recommends. Then take a few shots up and down shutter speeds from the recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by qystan View Post
    The scene is one which is dimly lit with the windows being extremely bright ( relative to the surrounding).

Forget flash, its like you're trying to light up the earth with a torchlight.

You'll want as large an aperture as you can get. The downside is loss of depth of field and you might find blurred portions in yr pic, but there's no need to use f22. You're using a 28mm, 56mm on 4/3, you can't afford wide apertures. Try from the mid point as suggested, f11.

Since you're on a tripod, shutter speed is not a real concern. It will allow you to lower the iso to control noise and also aperture to maintain depth of field.

All the above will still unlikely achieve an evenly exposed shot. The contrast between the lit windows and the surrounding is just too great. HDR is your only real hope. Yes, it's not the same, but theres a reason why the feature exist. It's just not possible under the conditions.

If you're going to shoot this on yr own instead of using the HDR feature. It is preferable to use the manual mode to avoid the camera locking onto some spot and giving you settings you dont want.

Set the aperture. Set the iso. See what the meter recommends. Then take a few shots up and down shutter speeds from the recommended.
    Or if the camp has a bulb mode, he can try shooting with blub mode at ISO100, f/11 instead. Possible to achieve nicer shots without HDR.

I had a better shot now. Thanks guy for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by tnecniv

shot from a tripod with these setting
    f/22
    ISO200
    focal length 28mm
    MaxAperture Value f/3.5

im shooting from Aperture manual mode. Wat setting should i change?
    Why do u shoot with f22???

I tot bigger better. Lol. Changed to f13 liao

You gotta read up on the basics of exposure. Just check the internet. Plenty of reading material or just check youtube.

If we tell you whatever f-stop here, its not going to solve your problems next time in another venue where the lighting is different.

Quote Originally Posted by tnecniv View Post

Well done. How do you think your shot can be further improved?

I tot bigger better. Lol. Changed to f13 liao
    Maybe you already know

The bigger the number the smaller the aperture and vice versa.

The smaller the aperture the greater the depth of field.

another tip
    shoot at a earlier time

well done, great improvement from your previous shot. now you've got the exposure, think of how to frame the building better. you have stuffs (like the tree/building) on the left that looks distracting. It appears that the building in the center is your subject, maybe you can consider shooting at a different position/height for a better picture.

Thank u. Those lights from the house seems weird and the sky no v nice. Maybe will try to improve on that.. Any advise?

Thank u. Those lights from the house seems weird and the sky no v nice. Maybe will try to improve on that.. Any advise?
    tell them all to switch on the lights when you're shooting. and ask God for nicer skies before you shoot

shoot during the day

Blog Entries

Shoot around sunset time?
    Lousy de My Flickr

I will suggest to set it at f11-f13, don't go above f16. use a tripod.

Looks better but noticed your framing still not straight.. if you are going to retake, straighten your framing, if not going to retake, straighten in pp..
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography

Agree its much much better. and shoot earlier when the sky is blue is probably ideal?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast