Thread: Which monitor color calibrator?

Default Which monitor color calibrator?

Hi, which monitor calibrator is good?
    Spyder 2 Pro Studio or Gretag Macbeth Eye-One Display?
    Or any other recommendations?
    Thanks!

is this ur 1st? i'd like to buy 1 too in d future.. but i guess, can start with spyder2 1st.. since its decent nuff

yes, first time buying.

or get someone to calibrate for u at a tiny cost? say $15-$20 for each monitor? CRT or LCD.

Quote Originally Posted by sumball
    or get someone to calibrate for u at a tiny cost? say $15-$20 for each monitor? CRT or LCD.
    oeyvind does it for $50

Quote Originally Posted by RaidenII
    Hi, which monitor calibrator is good?
    Spyder 2 Pro Studio or Gretag Macbeth Eye-One Display?
    Or any other recommendations?
    Thanks!
    eye-one display is very good
    i have done 2 successful MO for the eye-one

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=98536
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=100544

the 2nd batch of eye-one is arriving in a few days time

i might be doing a 3rd MO for the eye-one. watch out for it! it's cheap!

I bought a Macbeth eye one d2 last month. Not bad but a bit pricey.

Just a note, the calibration depends a lot on your monitor's ability to control brightness/contrast and best if can adjust RGB independently.

After calibration, it shows your monitor's ability to reproduce colours. My BenQ FP783 like got very limited abilities to reproduce colour spectrum. Felt like going back to CRT...

Deregistered

BUY BUY BUY Sony Artisan!!!

I 2nd Gretag Mcbeth EyeOne, don't worry if your display cannot control RGB etc, the graphics card drivers should be able to...

Default cheap way out

if u dont need 100000...000%%% super accurate colour then the cheapest way is just use adobe gamma that comes free as a part of photoshop. by using eyepower to judge colour and brightness alone, it gave me 999..9999%%% accurate calibration

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    BUY BUY BUY Sony Artisan!!!

I 2nd Gretag Mcbeth EyeOne, don't worry if your display cannot control RGB etc, the graphics card drivers should be able to...

Singapore can get Sony Artisan Ma??? "WHERE TO GET?"

Quote Originally Posted by user111
    if u dont need 100000...000%%% super accurate colour then the cheapest way is just use adobe gamma that comes free as a part of photoshop. by using eyepower to judge colour and brightness alone, it gave me 999..9999%%% accurate calibration
    I second that. So far this has worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by user111
    Pls illustrate how to do it. Can save alot of hobbist here $$$. Many thanks.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee
    Pls illustrate how to do it. Can save alot of hobbist here $$$. Many thanks.
    aiyo...just follow the adobe gamma calibration instruction sequence and judge by looking la

Like that, the colour monitor calibrator compaines will have closed down by now, right????

Why are they still producing then?

The Adobe Gamma setup is a stop-gap measure by Adobe for users without any form of colour calibration, to force the display into more manageable and predicatable colour display space. That is... it is better than doing nothing. But the biggest weakness of this solution is that it depends on the human eye, which is prone to variance and mis-judgement. Our vision is easily affected by surrounding colours and light sources etc. So while it is good to have Adobe Gamma done, it is far from having a proper colour spectrometer.

For most of the users in this forum, my guess is that you'd want to have a screen that matches your photo print. Not 100%, but at least 95%... so you can actually get away with a ColorVision Spyder. The MacBeth is really cool, much more versatile and more accurate, but it costs much moola more. And unless your monitor is created to high specs (such as the Artisan, Trinitron or Diamondtron), you're not getting the advantage of a MacBeth.

If you're really serious about colours, you'd be calibrating your displays once a week, or more if your monitor is prone to colour drift. Or else, if you're like most CSers, you'd probably calibrate once a month or less.

Just my two cents...