Thread: Newbie Waterfall Night Shots - Comments? =)

Default Newbie Waterfall Night Shots - Comments? =)

A little underexposed I must say...
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

yeah.. that's the best my a95 can do with 15sec exposure at f2.8 taken at dusk, wasn't much light in there.. it was much darker.. used 'auto-balance' in macromedia fireworks.

hmm... i'm a newbie too ... think the 2nd and 3rd pic alittle noisy ar... wat settings did u use for them?

15 sec exp, f2.8, iso50, manual focus

tried to use higher iso, but the noise is way worse with the length of exposure!

Good attempt dda95, I guess there is a need to improve the exposure for second and third shots. Also not sure why the 1st and 4th shot are dark, yet the water is so bright. You did some PP?

thanks but have way much more to learn from you guys..

used pp autobalance on all the waterfall shots.. cos it was too dark, so it's looking kind of 'unnatural'...

come to think of it, i could have played around with the exp compensation settings, instead of just the exposure time!

Hi. I like 1st and 2nd pic. I'm newbie so I don't know what a good technical photo should be but I find them pleasing to the eye. They're unique. Don't care about graininess (noise). To me it adds character (like how grain looks good on b&w photos).

maybe next time you can try this. Not sure how it will come out but i think this is because ur apature open too wide already. How far was the shot? If it is like 8m and above u can try this:
    f8 iso200 and about 5 to 8 sec, focus set to infinity and some mild flash.
    should be good.

My 0.0002 cents

thanks ben .. i'm even more new, not good with technical stuff too.. only some of the very basics. So for now working on composition for my shots. the graininess is partly due to pp i guess.

nipapa: hmm.. i'd try that the next time! never played around with higher isos that often.. might just do the trick for me

Quote Originally Posted by dda95
    thanks ben .. i'm even more new, not good with technical stuff too.. only some of the very basics. So for now working on composition for my shots. the graininess is partly due to pp i guess.

nipapa: hmm.. i'd try that the next time! never played around with higher isos that often.. might just do the trick for me
    That's what's it's all about. Pushing it to the limits. It's good to experiment.

I like the 2nd photo in landscape orientation than the same one but in portrait orientation because of the sky. I like the last shot too. I hope you weren't taking a shot while driving.

I like the first one. A wee bit underexposed, but the a nice dark mood is brought out with the waterfall as the focus. I like it!

Where is it btw?

first one is not bad. i like the effect where the fall hits the water surface. the rocks are dark, but only makes the water stand out more.

ben: i wouldn't dare leave my hands off the wheel if i'm going at 120 kph! i'm at the backseat actually.. experimenting with slow shutters.. trying to keep my hand still. that shot was made with 5sec exp..

dani3l: its the mckenzie falls at the grampians in australia. went for a short trip there two weeks ago. Clearer pics by the professionals at this website http://home.vr-web.de/eugen.winklhar...grampians1.htm

I like your lop buri shot.. the sun with a very nice glow did you get the 'light rays' naturally in the shot or with filters?

pai: somehow the picture reminds me of oreos cookies and cream

heres another pic, taken at port cambell.. they have really nice beaches there there's a jetty beyond the left side of the picture where people go to do 'jetty jumps'