Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need a sounding board - Micro 4/3 switch

Default Re: Need a sounding board - Micro 4/3 switch

The clicking sound for panny lens on oly body is due to the way they open and close aperture, way of operating mechanism is different. It will happen in A mode also, when you point lens from dark to bright light source, aperture will close down so you get the 'click' sound. It's constantly adjusting aperture so it's noisy in a quiet room.

But everything else works perfect. Perfect as in aperture close/open correctly, exposure works correctly, AF works correctly, IBIS works correctly, EXIF states correct info. I'm a user of 2 oly bodies with panny 20mm and 14mm for 2yr+. Other than clicking sound, 0 problems and 20mm is the best lens on m4/3.

Quote Originally Posted by pbear1973 View Post
    This problem seems to occur only when the camera is automatically adjusting the aperture. So I don't think it occurs in A or M modes, maybe just in P or S.
    OIC. I am usually in A.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123

At a much much higher price too! X-pro-1 body RRP can almost buy a D700 brand new.
    True, but I would like a good APS-C camera that I can pack into my haversack. I have the x100 and IQ/low light wise it is the best camera I have ever used, compared against my GF3 with 20mm panny and D7000 with 35mm f1.8. So that's why I want the x-pro
    Stuff I'm reasonably proud of: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ctky1973/

sorry i didnt have time to read all posts, but here are what i want to share.

1. How small is small? To me GX1 and G3 is small enough. But if u want smaller, get E-PM1 or GF3
    2. NEX proportion looks idiotic & ugly to me. Lenses are bulky & heavy and are of limited choices and quality wise I dont know.

You can also use below website to compare cameras.
    Camera Comparison - Snapsort
    D7100,SB910,17-50/2.8OS,105/2.8VR,85/1.8D,2xE-M1,O60/2.8,12-40/2.8,35-100/2.8,14-42,LX100

Quote Originally Posted by sin77 View Post
    sorry i didnt have time to read all posts, but here are what i want to share.

1. How small is small? To me GX1 and G3 is small enough. But if u want smaller, get E-PM1 or GF3
    2. NEX proportion looks idiotic & ugly to me. Lenses are bulky & heavy and are of limited choices and quality wise I dont know.

You can also use below website to compare cameras.
    Camera Comparison - Snapsort
    Yeah I've read/seen several reviews that say that the NEX has bad lenses. The new Zeiss lenses are supposed to remedy this but cost a bomb. Agree with you that the NEX series is ugly, and I really hate the idea of soft-dials. I don't have the bandwidth to remember which dial is configured as what.

Quote Originally Posted by trelch View Post
    Holy trinity for budget conscious:
    Panasonic 14mm f/2.5
    Panasonic 20mm f/1.7
    Olympus 45mm f/1.8

Holy trinity for the money is no issue:
    Olympus 12mm f/2.0
    Panaleica 25mm f/1.4
    Panaleica 45mm f/2.8 OIS Macro
    No disrespect intended to you or to Tyson Robichaud, but I think this separation is pretentious. The 25mm is only about $200 more expensive than the 20mm (seriously "peanuts" compared with the cost of the entire camera system), and while the 45mm f/2.8 has OIS, I rather have the faster f/1.8 aperture of the oly. For practical purposes I question the improvement in IQ between the 25mm and 20mm, and the two 45mm lenses.

Then there's the issue of size. The panaleicas are monstrous and heavy. In fact I chose the 20mm over the 25mm for precisely this reason. I have a GF3 (GX1 wasn't out yet and I didn't like either the GF1 or 2) and the 25mm is ridiculous on that body.

The only one I'd say is really worth the money is the 12mm oly over the 14mm pana, simply because the 12mm oly gives a bigger field of view, and the 14mm pana is pretty bad (although Digitalrev doesn't seem to think so - but I do based on personal usage). Otherwise budget conscious or not, I'd go for the first set of lenses.

No disrespect intended to you or to Tyson Robichaud, but I think this separation is pretentious. The 25mm is only about $200 more expensive than the 20mm (seriously "peanuts" compared with the cost of the entire camera system), and while the 45mm f/2.8 has OIS, I rather have the faster f/1.8 aperture of the oly. For practical purposes I question the improvement in IQ between the 25mm and 20mm, and the two 45mm lenses.

Then there's the issue of size. The panaleicas are monstrous and heavy. In fact I chose the 20mm over the 25mm for precisely this reason. I have a GF3 (GX1 wasn't out yet and I didn't like either the GF1 or 2) and the 25mm is ridiculous on that body.

The only one I'd say is really worth the money is the 12mm oly over the 14mm pana, simply because the 12mm oly gives a bigger field of view, and the 14mm pana is pretty bad (although Digitalrev doesn't seem to think so - but I do based on personal usage). Otherwise budget conscious or not, I'd go for the first set of lenses.
    No worries, the article is to show that there are lots of choices for M4/3 users. Some of these primes are really useful. As the writer has already suggested, choices is good. It's the not size of the boat, but the motion in the ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by snapperBB View Post
    Hi all,
    I'm thinking of selling my spare DSLR -40D to get a a micro system. At the moment, I have narrowed down to a few - Sony Nex7, Lumix G1X and Fuji X1 Pro (hope I got the models right). I need a portable system for my work (education) and leisure. A good video output will be important for my work.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

My question to you would be : - Do you wear trench coats and jackets often ?

If the answer is yes : Probably the GX1 wins in this category , as with a pancake prime on the cam or the power zoom pancake , its the only camera you can fit comfortably in a large coat jacket. Once you start to mount the EVF, and a longer lens, I doubt it can fit well anymore. The other cameras needs a bag to go with it.

Comments on portability and weight of various system is often marred by vision deceptions. Alot of comments on the systems you find here made , comes from peeps who have never held the camera and used it decently long enough to make a proper assessment. My take on portability is , you need to define what category of portability you need. Pocketable or you just need a lighter system from your dslr ? The system you listed ( except for Xpro-1) will offer you significant weight and space savings. However the bottom line is , you still need a storage for them.

You can look at the comparison from Dpreview below.

Since you mention Video is key for your work. The GH2 is considered to be one of the best video camera around in the market. You can google for versus gh2 to see some real life vids of how the cameras hold up to GH2 performance.
    Last edited by Atarandas; 18th February 2012 at 12:13 PM.
    Alpha and Omega

Quote Originally Posted by Atarandas View Post
    My question to you would be : - Do you wear trench coats and jackets often ?

If the answer is yes : Probably the GX1 wins in this category , as with a pancake prime on the cam or the power zoom pancake , its the only camera you can fit comfortably in a large coat jacket. Once you start to mount the EVF, and a longer lens, I doubt it can fit well anymore. The other cameras needs a bag to go with it.

Comments on portability and weight of various system is often marred by vision deceptions. Alot of comments on the systems you find here made , comes from peeps who have never held the camera and used it decently long enough to make a proper assessment. My take on portability is , you need to define what category of portability you need. Pocketable or you just need a lighter system from your dslr ? The system you listed ( except for Xpro-1) will offer you significant weight and space savings. However the bottom line is , you still need a storage for them.
    Actually I've owned a D7000 that I usually use with a 35mm f/1.8 or 18-200 f/3.5-5.6 for about a year, a GF3 with 14, 20, 45mm pancakes and 14-20 PZ X for about 10 months and an X100 for over a month and I use all 3 cameras fairly regularly. So I do know what I'm talking about. I used to carry my GF3 with the primes in a fanny pack in my haversack, and recently replaced them with the X100 that I also carry everywhere, every day. The fanny pack also has a silica-gel pack, 2 spare batteries and a lens cleaning kit in it.

The GF3 and X100 fit within my definition of portability, in that I can conveniently slip them into my haversack and bring them everywhere. So it comes down to definitions of portability as you say. But to say "Alot of comments on the systems you find here made , comes from peeps who have never held the camera and used it decently long enough to make a proper assessment" would be incorrect because I believe many of the people who respond do so from experience. And I doubt you have the factual data to prove otherwise. So I'm not sure why you'd make a statement like that.
    Last edited by pbear1973; 18th February 2012 at 12:44 PM.

Actually I've owned a D7000 that I usually use with a 35mm f/1.8 or 18-200 f/3.5-5.6 for about a year, a GF3 with 14, 20, 45mm pancakes and 14-20 PZ X for about 10 months and an X100 for over a month and I use all 3 cameras fairly regularly. So I do know what I'm talking about. I used to carry my GF3 with the primes in a fanny pack in my haversack, and recently replaced them with the X100 that I also carry everywhere, every day. The fanny pack also has a silica-gel pack, 2 spare batteries and a lens cleaning kit in it.

The GF3 and X100 fit within my definition of portability, in that I can conveniently slip them into my haversack and bring them everywhere. So it comes down to definitions of portability as you say. But to say "Alot of comments on the systems you find here made , comes from peeps who have never held the camera and used it decently long enough to make a proper assessment" would be incorrect because I believe many of the people who respond do so from experience. And I doubt you have the factual data to prove otherwise. So I'm not sure why you'd make a statement like that.
    Hi , I think I may have caused you to misunderstand my comments. I am merely highlighting a general tendency for peeps to make general comments made on cameras without proper usage and testing. In this case, I am strictly referring to experiences with the NEX-7, GX1 and Xpro-1 systems. Perhaps I wasnt clear in emphasing that , which is my bad. Nevertheless, I am sure you will agree that you do see comments and infactual comments made in forums and post , in the general manner.
    Last edited by Atarandas; 18th February 2012 at 03:06 PM.
    Alpha and Omega

Quote Originally Posted by Atarandas View Post
    Hi , I think you misunderstand my post. Not referring to your post in particular nor anyone in particular and I was talking about a general tendency for peeps to make general comments made on cameras without proper usage and testing. In this case, I am strictly referring to experience with the NEX-7, GX1 and Xpro-1 systems. Perhaps I wasnt clear in emphasing that , which is my bad. Nevertheless, I am sure you will agree that you do see comments and infactual comments made in forums and post , in the general manner.
    No prob, sorry if I sounded a little harsh.

Appreciate all of your advice and takes on the M4/3. I took a trip down to the shops to have a look-see and feel of the GX1 and EP-3. Both suit my definition of portability - not in the pockets, but in a smallish camera bag inside a haversack. I will most likely sell my 40D to get a M system and use it more for my work and everyday shoot around. My main camera should still be my 5DM2 and M4/3 will be perfect pair.

Now it's to work on my budget, as I may need to get a couple of M4/3 lenses to complete the 'story'. There goes $$$.

Cheers and Happy Shooting!
    OLYMPUS OMD EM5 IPANNY GX 1 I12-40 ZUIKO PRO I 40-150 ZUIKO PRO

Quote Originally Posted by snapperBB
    Appreciate all of your advice and takes on the M4/3. I took a trip down to the shops to have a look-see and feel of the GX1 and EP-3. Both suit my definition of portability - not in the pockets, but in a smallish camera bag inside a haversack. I will most likely sell my 40D to get a M system and use it more for my work and everyday shoot around. My main camera should still be my 5DM2 and M4/3 will be perfect pair.

Now it's to work on my budget, as I may need to get a couple of M4/3 lenses to complete the 'story'. There goes $$$.

Cheers and Happy Shooting!
    I have the holy trinity of primes: 14mm f2.5, 20mm f1.7 and 45mm f1.8. These cover practically 100% of my needs. Also have the 14-42 PZ X for when I'm lazy.

If you have money to spare I highly recommend the oly 12mm f2.0 in place of the 14mm pana. It's a MUCH better lens with wider field of view, but much more expensive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12