Thread: Help What is must see/visit in NZ South Island

Default Help What is must see/visit in NZ South Island

Hi, I am planning a trip to New Zealand (South Island) and I do like to have some advise as to what is the must see/visit there. Thanks a million for the advise.

Quote Originally Posted by HMC
    Hi, I am planning a trip to New Zealand (South Island) and I do like to have some advise as to what is the must see/visit there. Thanks a million for the advise.
    Almost everything in South Island is nice.

A lot of tourist use Queenstown as a base to visit the region. You'll find a lot of tourist support there. The fjordlands are nice to walk around although I'd skip the boat rides. Mt Cook region is also worth a walk. Try bungee jumping (with a disposable cam to take pictures while on the way down!) Invercargill, Otago area are nice too. Go take a walk on a glacier, Fox and Franz Josef glaciers are reachable by most tourists.

The west coast offers very rugged scenery. The Canterbury plains are very cosy. While in Christchurch pay a visit on the Wizard (near Cathedral Sqaure), he's hilarious. Rent a car, drive around. Go sky-diving, hiking in a fern forest. Most of all, bring lots of slide film (think velvia).

cheers
    Andrew

wine in marlborough

hanmer springs for a relaxing soak

tranzalpine train for a simple ride into breathtaking scenary, unaccessible by roads!

visit riccarton sunday market in christchurch for a genuine down-to-earth non-tourisy New Zealand experience.

ride the mail run in akaroa.

kaikoura whale-watch, the quinessential south island attraction

Dunedin - largest city in NZ (despite loud objections from Aucklanders), host to steepest street in the world, albatross, seal and penguin colonies at Otago peninsula, the Cadbury Factory and Speight Brewery, maker of the best beers you will taste in NZ.

how i wish i was back there again...