Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice Needed: New Zealand working holiday (lens)

I had a trip once to New Zealand, Auckland. I found myself shooting mainly a few types of Shots. Street and architecture photography in the city area. I used a UWA lens and some times my 50mm f/1.8. Landscape shots in the county sides where there are tons of open fields with animals like sheep and cows in there. So again UWA lens recommended. Although I think that 18mm - 105mm should cover enough. Hope this helps

Well, I traveled to NZ south island (while on a short work trip in the north island) with only the 12-24mm, 50mm and the 18-200mm lens. Only used the tripod for some experiment with star trails, while the 200mm end for close up of seals and other wildlife.

So I guess different people will have different preferences of their selection of lens.

Default Re: Advice Needed: New Zealand working holiday (lens)

I will be a bit of a contrarian here. I think 18mm is quite wide enough. Don't be fool into thinking that UWA will solve all your problem - there are distortion issues to contend with. Instead, if you need wide-angle shots, lock your exposure and do a few shots then stitch. I would suggest spending the money to get a 35mm f1.8G DX so that you can also do low light, indoor situations. May be also a 70-300 VR for the extra reach (to shoot birds and animals).

Yes, the "puffer" is a good idea. And yes, forget about the external flash unit. Also, a tripod means bulk - unless you get those expensive "traveller" carbon ones. So far, I have been able to able to survive overseas trip without tripod. Just need to be creative to find good support. Outdoors generally light is good so you can use high shutter speed to compensate for a lack of tripod.

Most importantly, get a compact (preferably one with GPS) as a backup.

If you are going for self-drive trip, try to bring all lenses and accessories you have. Put them in the rental car. During my trip, I brought along 2 DSLR, 1 compact with 3 tripods :P
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

Thanks Hanmin.. It does help =)
    btw, may i know what type of shots you take from 50mm f1.8? i was eventually going to sell mine.. I only use this lens for portrait only..

Alpc, thanks for sharing.. May i know which part of south island you took photo of seals/wildlife? does 18-105mm enug for this job?

UncleFai, Thanks alot. you are the first one that advice not to be fooled by UWA to solve all my problem.. Basically i havent have the big picture on how UWA able to help me but alot of experience brothers sister here advice to have one.. Which is why i opt to rent the Tokina 11-16mm lens and borrowed a CPL filter to checkout result from this coming saturday Airshow..
    regarding about the distortion, i read (from dpreview) that it should work fine for nikon D90 as D90 is not a full frame camera. and the firmware 1.02 upgrade helps to reduce the distortion.. I won't bring my laptop as it will add on the weight (i only have 20kg check in) and i don't think i would have the time to stitch my 6 months + 1 month Australia photographs.. Tripod is a must but there are ppl advice to bring a good (prefer heavy ones) as the winds is unpredictable and medium - strong.. i am still deciding which to get =( Compact camera, i still don't have one yet =.=.. but i just brought Eye Fi SD Pro card which has geotagging ystd =)

Megaweb... 3 tripods, wow.. we wont be rentaling a car for 6 months.. that will be equivalent to my Skydiving AFF license fee.. the girls opt to buy a used car instead (around $2k which most of the backpacker like us been doing), but i am preparing for the worst for single MALE backpacker.. if the girls cant carry their stuff, who else will be carrying for them (shierwin, your "Empat Perempuan, Satu Jantan Sehaja" is not something to proud of)?? hehe.. there is one girl even brought a portable rice cooker =.= which is why i am trying to minimize my weight..

I use the 50mm f/1.8 to take street photographs like the people in the area. Great if you are planning to go to the country side too. Get close to the farmers and interact with them, who knows you might find out something about the history of the farm or get offered by them to come in to their farm. From what i experienced New Zealanders are very friendly people.

Quote Originally Posted by lksheng5 View Post
    we wont be rentaling a car for 6 months.. that will be equivalent to my Skydiving AFF license fee.. the girls opt to buy a used car instead (around $2k which most of the backpacker like us been doing), but i am preparing for the worst for single MALE backpacker.. if the girls cant carry their stuff, who else will be carrying for them (shierwin, your "Empat Perempuan, Satu Jantan Sehaja" is not something to proud of)?? hehe.. there is one girl even brought a portable rice cooker =.= which is why i am trying to minimize my weight..
    Need to remember the amount of space to store luggage in the car you're buying. With five big bags + extras you'll need a van........ Total Load Planning is extremely important for such group travel. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by lksheng5
    Thanks Hanmin.. It does help =)
    btw, may i know what type of shots you take from 50mm f1.8? i was eventually going to sell mine.. I only use this lens for portrait only..

Alpc, thanks for sharing.. May i know which part of south island you took photo of seals/wildlife? does 18-105mm enug for this job?

UncleFai, Thanks alot. you are the first one that advice not to be fooled by UWA to solve all my problem.. Basically i havent have the big picture on how UWA able to help me but alot of experience brothers sister here advice to have one.. Which is why i opt to rent the Tokina 11-16mm lens and borrowed a CPL filter to checkout result from this coming saturday Airshow..
    regarding about the distortion, i read (from dpreview) that it should work fine for nikon D90 as D90 is not a full frame camera. and the firmware 1.02 upgrade helps to reduce the distortion.. I won't bring my laptop as it will add on the weight (i only have 20kg check in) and i don't think i would have the time to stitch my 6 months + 1 month Australia photographs.. Tripod is a must but there are ppl advice to bring a good (prefer heavy ones) as the winds is unpredictable and medium - strong.. i am still deciding which to get =( Compact camera, i still don't have one yet =.=.. but i just brought Eye Fi SD Pro card which has geotagging ystd =)

Megaweb... 3 tripods, wow.. we wont be rentaling a car for 6 months.. that will be equivalent to my Skydiving AFF license fee.. the girls opt to buy a used car instead (around $2k which most of the backpacker like us been doing), but i am preparing for the worst for single MALE backpacker.. if the girls cant carry their stuff, who else will be carrying for them (shierwin, your "Empat Perempuan, Satu Jantan Sehaja" is not something to proud of)?? hehe.. there is one girl even brought a portable rice cooker =.= which is why i am trying to minimize my weight..
    Some additional comments:

1. To me, 105mm no enough.

2. Good that you are renting a UWA and try. I have a D90 and a Tokina 12-24mm and I tell you the distortion is not ok in my opinion except when you really want a distorted shot. I seldom use it and is seriously contemplating selling it. Also, a CPL on a UWA often gives weird tints.

3. I am not suggesting pano every shot. Only stitch the selected few.

4. I still think tripod not a good idea. But I may be wrong.

5. If I were you, I would bring a laptop... I can check during the night how well the shots in the day went. Loads of fun. But I would NEVER check it in! Must hand carry lah.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post

2. Good that you are renting a UWA and try. I have a D90 and a Tokina 12-24mm and I tell you the distortion is not ok in my opinion except when you really want a distorted shot. I seldom use it and is seriously contemplating selling it. Also, a CPL on a UWA often gives weird tints.

5. If I were you, I would bring a laptop... I can check during the night how well the shots in the day went. Loads of fun. But I would NEVER check it in! Must hand carry lah.

Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post

Good luck!
    UncleFai,

1. 105mm might be enug for normal daily use. i couldn't agree more.. unless there are times that you just wish you could zoom further to get better view. (cropping on a 12mp picture is not good at all.. able to notice the pixel even with my ipad..

2. The tokina AT 116 lens is good for full frame camera for landscape (tested), but with my D90, i have to zoom until 13mm in order to remove the distortion and the "black shadow" at all the 4 corner. (sorry, what does it call?). I have tried to capture the landscape with and without the CPL filter.. The advantage of the CPL filter is to have better 'BLUE' skies, having bigger aperture with reduced brightness.. I brought a step up for $10 from reddot and tried it with my kit lens, and it works fine (except i need a bigger hood)..

3. Just brought from groupon $68 - 8 hours class on photoshops workshop..

4. Better take than sorry.. still scouting for a good tripod =)

5. I have a dinosaur laptop(2.5kg with battery) .. Laptop is my last option..

Conclusion, i don't think i will be getting the Tokina 116 since it is only useful to me from 13mm onwards. =.=

Thanks for all the Brothers and Sister for your advice.. Is been an 'eye-opening' for me to learn so much from you all.. Thanks again

And if a "local" can help at all, please e mail me. I'd be happy to point you in the right direction.
    Gary
    Hamilton.
    NZ.
    g.beal (at) xnet.co.nz

Hi Broz and Sisz,

Brought my camera my colleagues fren shop and have a chat with the guy selling Tokina AT116 and Tamron PZD.. after much discussion, he borrow me the lens and show some technique and advise.. there are no Vignetting if i use a slim filter and the distortion can be reduce if i get the right angle .. So at the end, I got myself the Tokina AT 116 at RM 2,100 with the Octopus ultra UV filter (1mm) at another shop that the guy recommended...

Thanks for the advice =)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12