Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice Needed: New Zealand working holiday (lens)

Default Advice Needed: New Zealand working holiday (lens)

Hi Guys,

I would like to have some advice from the pros about the lens that I need for my current situation. What i have are

Body: Nikon D90
    Lens: Kit lens 18-105mm

I will be visiting New Zealand on the winter (July) for 6 months on backpacking. Basically what i would need is an All-in-one lens to minimize the weight traveling around. At first i decided to get Tamron 18-270mm PZD as there are many review that it is a good lens. When i visited a the shop to buy the lens, and after told him what body and lens I had (and also my budget $900 and below), he recommend me to stick to my own lens, and get an UWA Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 since i will be taking landscape more often than a zoom.

To be honest i havent been to NZ before and i only read 'in-sight guide' book which basically most of the pictures are landscape.

So i would like to get some advice should i get Tokina or Tamron or is there any better lens around this budget with my current situation?.

Thanks alot in advance.

NOTE: I am a newbie

Default Re: Advice Needed: New Zealand working holiday (lens)

Well advised...An UWA lens is the way to go if you holiday in NZ along with your kit lens. Get CPL, ND & GND filters too. Tripod a must.

6 months backpacking "Working" holiday

Quote Originally Posted by lksheng5 View Post
    Hi Guys,

I would like to have some advice from the pros about the lens that I need for my current situation. What i have are

Body: Nikon D90
    Lens: Kit lens 18-105mm

I will be visiting New Zealand on the winter (July) for 6 months on backpacking. Basically what i would need is an All-in-one lens to minimize the weight traveling around. At first i decided to get Tamron 18-270mm PZD as there are many review that it is a good lens. When i visited a the shop to buy the lens, and after told him what body and lens I had (and also my budget $900 and below), he recommend me to stick to my own lens, and get an UWA Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 since i will be taking landscape more often than a zoom.

To be honest i havent been to NZ before and i only read 'in-sight guide' book which basically most of the pictures are landscape.

So i would like to get some advice should i get Tokina or Tamron or is there any better lens around this budget with my current situation?.

Thanks alot in advance.

NOTE: I am a newbie

Quote Originally Posted by shierwin View Post
    Well advised...An UWA lens is the way to go if you holiday in NZ along with your kit lens. Get CPL, ND & GND filters too. Tripod a must.

6 months backpacking "Working" holiday
    Thanks alot Shierwin.. now i have to read up polarizing (CPL), Neutral density (ND) and Graduated neutral density(GND) filter <- correct me if i get it wrong.

another question, i am planning to get SB-900 too but the shopkeeper say SB-910 is better as they solve the overheating which could cause you up to 45min to cool down. the different between the two is around $60 (sb900 come with 4AA rechargeable batteries and SB-910 doesn't). I don't think i will overheat it, but which one should i get?

Tripod, I only have Jusino AX-254 (from shashiki - i cant post link) tripod but it is heavy.. planning to get a travel tripod (aluminum tripod for DSLR)

Note: I like to purchase item from msia as it is cheaper as our currency is getting stronger.

Personally, I'd leave the flash at home. You would need to carry also batteries (4x AA size) and a charger or use disposable ones which are of lower capacity and cause longer charge times between the shots. Unless you really see yourself taking pictures indoors or blending flash and ambient light...
    EOS

Thanks alot Shierwin.. now i have to read up polarizing (CPL), Neutral density (ND) and Graduated neutral density(GND) filter <- correct me if i get it wrong.

another question, i am planning to get SB-900 too but the shopkeeper say SB-910 is better as they solve the overheating which could cause you up to 45min to cool down. the different between the two is around $60 (sb900 come with 4AA rechargeable batteries and SB-910 doesn't). I don't think i will overheat it, but which one should i get?

Tripod, I only have Jusino AX-254 (from shashiki - i cant post link) tripod but it is heavy.. planning to get a travel tripod (aluminum tripod for DSLR)

Note: I like to purchase item from msia as it is cheaper as our currency is getting stronger.
    SGD are not the strongest to MYR now hehe. Used to be 2.45 range.

How is Shashiki? Never buy from them thou, they ship by courier like DHL those?
    Canon EOS 600D | 17-40 L | 24-105 L | 100 L | 50mm 1.8II | BG-E8

go NZ? You definitely need wide angle lens! Go Landscape section and look at those beautiful landscapes!

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Personally, I'd leave the flash at home. You would need to carry also batteries (4x AA size) and a charger or use disposable ones which are of lower capacity and cause longer charge times between the shots. Unless you really see yourself taking pictures indoors or blending flash and ambient light...
    Thanks Octarine. But i am not backpacking alone. I will be having 4 girl friends with me which i think group photo will be my secondary objective beside landscape. the built in flash half of the time will create lens shadow which is quite frustrating

Fyi, Digitalsmania (lelong msia) is selling SB-900 + 4x Ansmann maxE AA rechargeable at rm1450 and SB-910 only at RM1600..
    Digitalmania is quite trusted and usually offer the lowest price in msia with genuine nikon product (i have colleagues from KL so they could help me to collect the item + on the spot inspection )

Thanks Octarine. But i am not backpacking alone. I will be having 4 girl friends with me which i think group photo will be my secondary objective beside landscape. the built in flash half of the time will create lens shadow which is quite frustrating

Fyi, Digitalsmania (lelong msia) is selling SB-900 + 4x Ansmann maxE AA rechargeable at rm1450 and SB-910 only at RM1600..
    Digitalmania is quite trusted and usually offer the lowest price in msia with genuine nikon product (i have colleagues from KL so they could help me to collect the item + on the spot inspection )
    get a "puffer" fish as a diffuser for your builtin flash.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJon82 View Post
    SGD are not the strongest to MYR now hehe. Used to be 2.45 range.

How is Shashiki? Never buy from them thou, they ship by courier like DHL those?
    John, it is not the strongest but it is still cheaper there.. but of coz, the warranty will be from msia.. but how often genuine item has manufacture defect? (up to date i haven't had any of that)

Shashiki doesn't offer the best price in msia but their service are fast and reliable.. this is what happened..

i was planning a holiday to penang on last CNY and some blogger say that the night scenery is nice during CNY.. so i needed a tripod for that.. then one of my colleague recommended me the jusino tripod offered in shashiki (on thursday evening).. then i called up (thursday night around 9pm) shashiki to check if they could actually delivery the tripod to penang by saturday evening(to my hotel) and do i need to pay extra for the delivery.. they say no extra charges and they promise to use their express (city-link) and i would get my item by sat noon..

on saturday morning around 10am while i was driving to penang, i got a call from city link to inform that my parcel has already reach the hotel. so i ask him to pass the phone to the hotel manager and the manager agree to sign and keep it until i reach the hotel =)
    on the evening, shashiki call me to check if i have received the item and is it in good condition..

Hope this helps =)
    shashinki dot com/shop/shipping dot php

Some friends introduced me the website long time ago. Some items are cheaper, but some are more expensive or not worth the trouble. Maybe can try try later. Thanks!

Btw, if you are travelling with 4 girls, and they not into taking photograph, very hard to deploy your tripod, slot in your filter, and take long exposure for landscape... they will throw your camera down the sea or mountain and move to next destination. For group photo tripod still ok maybe.
    Canon EOS 600D | 17-40 L | 24-105 L | 100 L | 50mm 1.8II | BG-E8

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    get a "puffer" fish as a diffuser for your builtin flash.
    Hi Sinner79,

any recommendation (brand) for 'puffer' for nikon D90? i tried to google around but most of them (who brought), give up on it..

Thanks!!!

Guys/Girls

Shierwin suggested CPL/ND/GND filter and i had read up on it.. I would like to know if i only buy CPL filter, is it enug? Hoya Pro1 already cost about $120-$150.. that's kinda off budget.. and do you suggest to get B+W kaesemann or Hoya Pro1 is more than enug?

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJon82 View Post
    Some friends introduced me the website long time ago. Some items are cheaper, but some are more expensive or not worth the trouble. Maybe can try try later. Thanks!

Btw, if you are travelling with 4 girls, and they not into taking photograph, very hard to deploy your tripod, slot in your filter, and take long exposure for landscape... they will throw your camera down the sea or mountain and move to next destination. For group photo tripod still ok maybe.
    John, if you have friends/colleagues that travel often to msia, you can ask their help to bring it back to you =)

erm, we will be there for 6 months backpacking.. there is no point for us to rush + they would prefer to have nice pictures (of them with landscape) + i am the driver = they don't mind to wait/they have to wait for me.. I will bring along my GoPro camera n ipad, so at least they got something to play or online..

Guys/Girls

Shierwin suggested CPL/ND/GND filter and i had read up on it.. I would like to know if i only buy CPL filter, is it enug? Hoya Pro1 already cost about $120-$150.. that's kinda off budget.. and do you suggest to get B+W kaesemann or Hoya Pro1 is more than enug?

Thanks in advance
    Depends on what you want to pay. All my said filters are plain Hoya copies. and GNDs are cokin

But i am not backpacking alone. I will be having 4 girl friends with me which i think group photo will be my secondary objective beside landscape. the built in flash half of the time will create lens shadow which is quite frustrating :
    Empat Perempuan, Satu Jantan Sehaja
    Last edited by shierwin; 14th February 2012 at 10:02 PM. Reason: typo

Hi Sinner79,

any recommendation (brand) for 'puffer' for nikon D90? i tried to google around but most of them (who brought), give up on it..

Thanks!!!
    third party is good enough.

d90 flash diffuser | eBay (see first two)

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    third party is good enough.

(see first two)
    Thanks Sinned79..
    i just brought 1 from iamfoto =)
    but i guess i need to wait another week for it.. Thanks!!!

UWA is a must!

Quote Originally Posted by shierwin View Post
    Depends on what you want to pay. All my said filters are plain Hoya copies. and GNDs are cokin
    Thanks!! I just rent a tokina lens at $28 for this coming Saturday airshow.. N borrowed a Hoya cpl filter.

built-in flash should not cast any shadow with D90 and 18-105mm lens, it will only cast shadow when you are shooting at wide angle AND with your lens hood on, remove the lens hood and you will be fine.

for travel, my advise is to leave external flash at home, too bulky and heavy to carry around, and for the few shots a day / few days, built-in flash is more than enough, or try to plan your shots in such a way that you do not need to use flash.

i think it is a must to get a tripod for landscape, and UWA if you have the extra budget, cheers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast