Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sunrise From Merlion Park

Default Re: Sunrise From Merlion Park

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    I always have the same problem with this area and composition when going wide at this location.
    The flyer tries to 'squeeze' into the frame due to proximity, but ends up doing nothing but unbalancing the composition with its skinny shape and adding to a "add me too" look.

Personally, I'd try to go wider or Pano stitch to find back an element of balance on the left, or just recompose and leave out the flyer.
    Actually... NO. It doesn't. You may not like it but the flyer sits perfectly at the place the photographer has chosen for it. It's emphasizes a contrast between new and old. The flyer is no longer one of the most impressing constructions in Singapore. It is now the ugly MBS that dominates the skyline. I am not sure if this composition happened by chance or was done intentionally. Either way it's well done for said reason.
    Last edited by Felizitas; 29th February 2012 at 02:52 PM. Reason: darn spelling...

Quote Originally Posted by Felizitas View Post
    Actually... NO. It doesn't. You may not like it but the flyer sits perfectly at the place the photographer has chosen for it. It's emphasizes a contrast between new and old. The flyer is no longer one of the most impressing constructions in Singapore. It is now the ugly MBS that dominates the skyline. I am not sure if this composition happened by chance or was done intentionally. Either way it's well done for said reason.
    Hi Felizitas,

Thank you for your kind words! I had wanted to compose the shot as what you've seen here. I actually also notice that I'm chopping off parts of the MBS which is not very nice. Had tried composing w/o the flyer so all of MBS is captured but I ended up taking his pic instead cos I like it this way more although I have to agree it would be better if the MBS is not chop. But of course my reason wouldn't be as profound as yours though :P Anyway it's good that you pointed out something I never thought of...thanks

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Felizitas View Post
    I am sorry, I cannot agree with what you are saying. It is simply too far out for me.

That's probably the beauty of photography. Its subjective.

Regardless of result, there are certain things to pay attention to for architectural (cityscapes) shots of this nature. You have to understand what you are taking photos of, be it the location, size, height, footprint of the buildings, surrounding context, ambient lighting and vantage points avilable. Only when you have an idea of what you are shooting then you can start formulating a plan to work on the composition where you start to consider proportions, hierarchy, what to include and what not to have. Next, decide on the vantage point. You've got all the time in the world to take that shot if you are not making a living out of it.

Sometimes; its not about photographing nice looking buildings(which are a rare sight) but if your photos can make an ugly building look good, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    That's probably the beauty of photography. Its subjective.

Regardless of result, there are certain things to pay attention to for architectural (cityscapes) shots of this nature. You have to understand what you are taking photos of, be it the location, size, height, footprint of the buildings, surrounding context, ambient lighting and vantage points avilable. Only when you have an idea of what you are shooting then you can start formulating a plan to work on the composition where you start to consider proportions, hierarchy, what to include and what not to have. Next, decide on the vantage point. You've got all the time in the world to take that shot if you are not making a living out of it.

Sometimes; its not about photographing nice looking buildings(which are a rare sight) but if your photos can make an ugly building look good, why not?
    Hi Bro,

Well said....I'll keep that in mind next time I go shoot again...Thanks alot!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12