Thread: For people who shot at Super CCD interpolated 6MB pics...

Default For people who shot at Super CCD interpolated 6MB pics...

... and tried print them (@ 4R) at photo labs, is the photos turned out razor sharp which surpassed 2-3 MB pics no doubt? Or is it a marginally gain (which I don't think so)?

What was your basis of comparison? Did you shoot the same subject at 3 megapixels and again at SuperCCD Interpolated 6 megapixels?

Sometimes we see what we want to see, not what we ought to see.
    Last edited by Richard; 21st July 2002 at 11:06 AM.

Originally posted by Richard
    What was your basis of comparison? Did you shoot the same subject at 3 megapixels and again at SuperCCD Interpolated 6 megapixels?
    Yes. Or maybe compare with 2-3MB from other cams.

Let me give a theoretical interpretation.....

Photos are printed at 300 DPI (right?), so a 4R contains 1800x1200 amount of infomation. Theoretically, to get back the "original" from the sampled data (digital image), you would need double the frequency (Nyquist frequency) or 3600x2400 amount of info. So, it seems that higher resolution (up to 8+MP) does help.
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

Not quite. Printing a 3600x2400 image at 300dpi results in a 12 x 8" print, it will not be 4R anymore.

I don't think there's going to be any perceivable difference printing 3600 x 2400 images vs 1800 x 1200 images at 4R (600 vs 300dpi). Our eyes are not going to resolve the difference.

Regards
    CK

Guys, don't debate on figures and theory. I've had enough of that in the past 2-3 years. Calm down. I just want to know the degree of difference between 2-3MB and interpolated 6MB when being printed by photo lab, just by visual inspection. Actually I've seen a great increment in sharpness with the 6MB when printed with inkjet printer. But I'm not sure whether it is the same with different printing technology. Maybe I'll change to photo lab print since recently I've seen for the first time a 1MB being printed by my colleague with unexpectedly good result.

The reason I asked is, I've been offered the chance to sell my C2100UZ. I've been eyeing on the Fujifilm SuperCCD's 6MB. But on the other hand, I really love the big lens with 10x stabilized zoom of the C2100UZ which we can't easily find on other models. I don't know whether it is worth the upgrade - with sharper images (only when printed) but less zoom and so much bigger file size. Aiya, really struggling in my mind...

Originally posted by ckiang
    Not quite. Printing a 3600x2400 image at 300dpi results in a 12 x 8" print, it will not be 4R anymore.

I don't think there's going to be any perceivable difference printing 3600 x 2400 images vs 1800 x 1200 images at 4R (600 vs 300dpi). Our eyes are not going to resolve the difference.

Regards
    CK
    true. our eyes won't be able to perceive the difference.

it's just that to reproduce the original scene, you need double the frequency so that eyes or machine won't be able to see any difference. and you'll need to print at 600DPI for that to happen. This is analogous to CD-quality music. We could only hear sound of up to 20KHz frequency but to reproduce the original music digitally sampled, you need double this frequency (40KHz).

KamWeng, don't worry we're not having an argument

A lot does depend on which type of pic you're talking about. For pics with a big subject and/or a blurred background, you may not need very high resolution to produce a good print. But for some shots like landscape where there're lots of fine details, a higher resolution would come in handy.

For 4R there shouldn't be much difference whether you use 2MB or an interpolated 6MB (which arguably contain 4MP of image data as seen from various resolution charts)

Yeah, 2MB is insufficient to print scenery or group photos.

For inkjet prints, Fujifilm's 6MB does give a great level of improvement over 2-3Mb. Though theoretically 6MB is overkill to print at 4R, but in fact it's excellent! Think I'll shift to photo lab print after I've filled up my current 3R photo album set. They don't print smaller than 4R.

By the way, may I ask some questions regarding S602Z?

1. Does the zoom lens extent/retract very fast? I've seen Canon (Axx) and Nikon (775). They're very fast, within half a second. Olympus one is very very slow.

2. When connect to PC, does the camera appear as an extra drive or it's downloaded within imaging software?

3. Is the USB 1.1 or 2.0?

4. Is the battery compartment VERY tight like Olympus Cxxxx series?

Thanks.

itanium
    Guests

Originally posted by KamWeng
    Yeah, 2MB is insufficient to print scenery or group photos.

For inkjet prints, Fujifilm's 6MB does give a great level of improvement over 2-3Mb. Though theoretically 6MB is overkill to print at 4R, but in fact it's excellent! Think I'll shift to photo lab print after I've filled up my current 3R photo album set. They don't print smaller than 4R.

By the way, may I ask some questions regarding S602Z?

1. Does the zoom lens extent/retract very fast? I've seen Canon (Axx) and Nikon (775). They're very fast, within half a second. Olympus one is very very slow.
    -Very fast, about 1sec or 2.. in fact its just like power go and you're ready to go

2. When connect to PC, does the camera appear as an extra drive or it's downloaded within imaging software?
    --detected as a mass torage device, thus u can see as a drive

3. Is the USB 1.1 or 2.0?
    --USB 1.1 haven seens an USB 2.0 yet

4. Is the battery compartment VERY tight like Olympus Cxxxx series?
    --considered tight for me, i fact i feel that you need a it of force to close it.

Thanks.

1. 2 seconds is considered very slow already. Recently I've seen a CoolPix 775, lens extent within half a second. But maybe because it's a miniature model.

4. Too tight is what I'm affraid of. The springs inside may break due to metal deplete if the batteries are kept inside for long period of time.
    Last edited by KamWeng; 28th July 2002 at 12:16 AM.

I'm pretty sure you're wrong. The 775 takes longer to extend it's lens and be ready for shooting. I've seen more than a few in action.

check out:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp775/page8.asp

The fastest you could record a pic from the off position is 7.1s.

Note than lens extention is only one part of the equation, the camera still need to "boot" up
    Last edited by mpenza; 28th July 2002 at 01:14 AM.

comparative timings for the 602Z are 4.7s (DPR) and 3.1s (IR).

The 2100's timings are 5.1s and 4.05s.

Oh, I wasn't talking about startup time for first shot. It's the time the lens need to fully extent/retract. I used to wait very long for the lens to fully retract slowly before I could cover the cap on my previous Olympus. Well of course my current C2100UZ has a fixed zoom lens. So that isn't an issue.

oh... it's not a problem if you have the lens adaptor on. I could cap anytime I want since I leave the UV filter and lens adaptor on all the time.

Do you have lens thread? I thought the extenting end is flat surface, like Olympus Cx000 series? And how does the lens fully retract back in with attachments?

Midnight
    Guests

The lens threads for Olympus C-x0x0 cameras are not on the zoom lens itself but surround the lens opening on the camera body (i.e. it is of a slightly larger diameter). As such, the lens adaptor basically acts as a kind of housing for the whole lens mechanism and doesn't touch the zoom lens itself at all regardless of the lens position.

CNET Asia:

"The S602 Zoom features a retractable lens with a removable, plastic lens cap that attaches to the camera body and protects the lens surface.

The same threads that hold the lens cap in place will also accept an accessory lens adapter, allowing a variety of filters and optional lens to be added. These include niceties such as close-up filters, telezoom and wide-angle teleconverter lens, and so on."

Does that mean with an adapter and UV filter on the S602Z, the unit will be always as big as (should be bigger than) when the lens fully extented even if the lens retracted back in??! Then it's not much smaller than C2100UZ leh.

I'm almost decided to upgrade.