Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calling Mac user: Is Ibook G4 good enuff to edit photo

Question Calling Mac user: Is Ibook G4 good enuff to edit photo

As above, can anyone who use I book G4 share the performance of this laptop for photo editing? Is there other Adobe PS alternative that works in MAC such as GIMP?

Thinking of moving to MAC from PC but budget not enuff for Power Book

Quote Originally Posted by bangkuangz
    As above, can anyone who use I book G4 share the performance of this laptop for photo editing? Is there other Adobe PS alternative that works in MAC such as GIMP?

Thinking of moving to MAC from PC but budget not enuff for Power Book
    i'm using an ibook 1Ghz with 768ram for photo editing,no complains so far.
    abit slow when dealing with NEF nikon raw file..

256 of ram is definitely not enuff for editing work,too painfully slow..

Quote Originally Posted by kex
    i'm using an ibook 1Ghz with 768ram for photo editing,no complains so far.
    abit slow when dealing with NEF nikon raw file..

256 of ram is definitely not enuff for editing work,too painfully slow..
    Yours is G3 or G4 ?? and are you using Adobe PS ?

Yours is G3 or G4 ?? and are you using Adobe PS ?
    i'm using G4 and running photoshop 7 with it.

if u are getting one to do serious editing job ,an Imac G5 might be better with the bigger screen..

i bought my 512ram for $180 FYI..

i'm waiting for my pc in my studio to die and will replace it with a duallie Imac G5 with at least 768 ram..

Using my ibook for product/group shoot when my customer need instant review..

i'm using G4 and running photoshop 7 with it.

if u are getting one to do serious editing job ,an Imac G5 might be better with the bigger screen..

i bought my 512ram for $180 FYI..

i'm waiting for my pc in my studio to die and will replace it with a duallie Imac G5 with at least 768 ram..

Using my ibook for product/group shoot when my customer need instant review..
    Hmm need to get notebook as wifey want to have notebook vs. desktop ... can we pump the ram to 1280 MB? Any idea still got student offer or not ?

not too sure about that..

call Apple centre and ask lor.

Blog Entries

hi, kex!

i'm also like bangkuangz, thinking of getting the ibook for PSing. budget constraints lah. only can afford the ibook too.

izit hard to change the RAM ourselves? my mac fren told me can go and buy the SO-DIMM RAM ourselves and pop it into the ibook. diy is much much cheaper than going apple centre, so i was told. can we DIY, kex?
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75
    hi, kex!

i'm also like bangkuangz, thinking of getting the ibook for PSing. budget constraints lah. only can afford the ibook too.

izit hard to change the RAM ourselves? my mac fren told me can go and buy the SO-DIMM RAM ourselves and pop it into the ibook. diy is much much cheaper than going apple centre, so i was told. can we DIY, kex?

$180 for a 512ram very cheap mah..

i got it at SGL marketing at sim lim,they install for me also..

hi, kex!

Hi Nightwolf .. same same here .. I think adding Mem to Ibook should not be a problem .. use to do similar thing with normal laptop. Based on what I heard from other forum i think it is do-able and worst case can just go to SLS to get it done .....

Blog Entries

Hi Nightwolf .. same same here .. I think adding Mem to Ibook should not be a problem .. use to do similar thing with normal laptop. Based on what I heard from other forum i think it is do-able and worst case can just go to SLS to get it done .....
    well, from kex, looks like its definitely doable.

heck... i checked apple store singapore... going to cost u more than $1K just to put in 1GB of RAM... .... i rather buy the standard, no upgrade set, then go to SLS to pop in a RAM chip. much much cheaper...
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

i heard u get a better deal if u buy the ibook from SGL..

go check it out.
    defintely need some getting used to when changing to a mac,but u will get used to it quite fast.
    Very stable and problem free OS,sometimes abit boring..wahahaha..
    Been using it for a few mths without any Anti Virus software,damn shiok..hehe..

the ibook is at a great price now... 1800 plus for a wonderful machine. just add some ram and you are good to go...

Blog Entries

i heard u get a better deal if u buy the ibook from SGL..

go check it out.
    defintely need some getting used to when changing to a mac,but u will get used to it quite fast.
    Very stable and problem free OS,sometimes abit boring..wahahaha..
    Been using it for a few mths without any Anti Virus software,damn shiok..hehe..
    kex, SGL? where's dat? i thot we can only buy apple stuff from apple store, and mebbe under NUS or NTU?

btw, my mac fren told me ibook quite picky abt the brand of RAM. he said the shop told him must use transcend RAM.

kex, SGL? where's dat? i thot we can only buy apple stuff from apple store, and mebbe under NUS or NTU?

btw, my mac fren told me ibook quite picky abt the brand of RAM. he said the shop told him must use transcend RAM.
    must need transcend??
    well that time i workin in shop, they using Kingston...
    but my opinion is, use a better ram like corseair, micron....(better Quality).

SGL marketing is on the 2nd level i tink #02-01 of sim lim,it is a highly recommended shop by mac users in the mac forum.
    i dun think it is open on sunday.
    ohh..the ram i bought from them i think is Hynix brandm,no problem so far..

SGL marketing is on the 2nd level i tink #02-01 of sim lim,it is a highly recommended shop by mac users in the mac forum.
    i dun think it is open on sunday.
    ohh..the ram i bought from them i think is Hynix brandm,no problem so far..
    as long as ram speed is the rite... most of it should not be a problem to used it.
    unless the QC of the product is veri poor.
    dun u all agreed?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jnet6
    as long as ram speed is the rite... most of it should not be a problem to used it.
    unless the QC of the product is veri poor.
    dun u all agreed?
    true true. actually, i was quite surprised by my fren's comment. in my PC i mixed and match RAM brands without problems. however, i'm not familar with Mac, so din want to say much.

thanks, kex, for the location! will check it out soon.

true true. actually, i was quite surprised by my fren's comment. in my PC i mixed and match RAM brands without problems. however, i'm not familar with Mac, so din want to say much.

thanks, kex, for the location! will check it out soon.
    Hi Nightwolf,

Did some checking last nite in Apple online store and they give ~150SGD discount for student/lecturer from the list price (for example the 14 inch normal drive cost 2240 vs. 2388). Do PM me if you found SGL cheaper .. maybe can go together and bargain hehehe ...

Blog Entries

Hi Nightwolf,

Did some checking last nite in Apple online store and they give ~150SGD discount for student/lecturer from the list price (for example the 14 inch normal drive cost 2240 vs. 2388). Do PM me if you found SGL cheaper .. maybe can go together and bargain hehehe ...
    hey!

i'm thinking of getting next year.... when i sign up to be a student at NTU for studies. dats why i wanna find out now becos the offer as a student is really attractive!

hey!

i'm thinking of getting next year.... when i sign up to be a student at NTU for studies. dats why i wanna find out now becos the offer as a student is really attractive!
    Basket, didn't know that SGL sells rams that cheap, bought my 512MB for $240 i think at Apple Center. &*^@#&^*@#

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast