Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 67

Thread: Tokyo And Kyoto Leisure and Photography

  1. #21
    Member/Tangshooter Redsun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    7,931

    Default Re: Tokyo And Kyoto Leisure and Photography

    Quote Originally Posted by Sgdevilzz View Post
    The fares for the cabs are ridiculous! Any idea how much is the 7day pass? Not planning to go far from tokyo as it is expensive even if i take the subway. Odaiba to Osaka can easily cost $250!
    Hi
    the cost of the 7 day JR pass is dependent on the exchange rate (28,300)
    with the pass you can take the narita express and also the shinkansen to other cities
    can also be used on all JR lines as well

  2. #22

    Default Re: Tokyo And Kyoto Leisure and Photography

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsun View Post
    Hi
    the cost of the 7 day JR pass is dependent on the exchange rate (28,300)
    with the pass you can take the narita express and also the shinkansen to other cities
    can also be used on all JR lines as well
    Oh wow $450? I won't be travelling around everyday so is it better to buy those standard tickets like in SG? Side question, Is it advisable to change lens outdoors considering the cold weather (if any)?

  3. #23
    Member/Tangshooter Redsun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    7,931

    Default Re: Tokyo And Kyoto Leisure and Photography

    Quote Originally Posted by Sgdevilzz View Post
    Oh wow $450? I won't be travelling around everyday so is it better to buy those standard tickets like in SG? Side question, Is it advisable to change lens outdoors considering the cold weather (if any)?
    well if you're travelling a lot to other cities
    its definitely worth it to get the JR pass
    if however,you'll just be in tokyo,you can forgo the JR pass

    yup dun worry its safe to change lens
    your camera is tougher than it looks

  4. #24

    Default Re: Tokyo And Kyoto Leisure and Photography

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsun View Post
    well if you're travelling a lot to other cities
    its definitely worth it to get the JR pass
    if however,you'll just be in tokyo,you can forgo the JR pass

    yup dun worry its safe to change lens
    your camera is tougher than it looks
    i see, i'll be hanging around tokyo cities not actually going out of tokyo. I'm afraid when during the changing of my lens there will be fog due to cold weather.

  5. #25
    Senior Member shierwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    3,368

    Default Re: Tokyo And Kyoto Leisure and Photography

    You think 7d JR pass @ Yen 28,300 is exp.

    Return JR narita airpoprt-tokyo stn Express = 2x 2,700 = 5,400 yen
    Return Tokyo- Kyoto - 2x 12,000 =24,000

    Taxi from airport will, beside metered fare, will incur toll of around 2,200 yen one way

    Also travelling in tyoko there are many JR lines like the Yamanote circle line that you can use the JR pass,
    Shibuya stn is on this line. Tokyo to shibuya one-way 190 yen

    Your call.............

  6. #26
    Senior Member shierwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    3,368

    Default Re: Tokyo And Kyoto Leisure and Photography

    I think best to forget about a 1-day trip to kyoto. Instead go to nikko where more things you can do there. That way you stay within the JR east region and you can buy the JR east pass, 5 day pass or 4 day flexi pass @ 16,000 yen. You can go as far south as yokohama and north all the way to end of Honshu Island. With this pass, you're NOT eligible for all south bound Shinkansen from Tokyo. CAN take, however, all those north bound from tokyo. Check JR regional map for the details and correct pass fare. Can buy this pass @airport JR counter.

    So
    Return narita airport to tokyo stn 2x2,700 = 5400 yen
    return tokyo stn to nikko 2x 5,200 = 10,400 yen
    Return Yokohama 2x 450 = 900 yen

    So a 4 day JR east pass (flexi) will be best value for you stay. Forgo one day and use tokyo local subways on that day.
    Last edited by shierwin; 15th February 2012 at 05:48 PM. Reason: typo

  7. #27
    Member iguanavon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Shimonoseki
    Posts
    520

    Default

    Or can go north to Nagano for the snow monkeys and wonderful onsens

  8. #28

    Default Re: Tokyo And Kyoto Leisure and Photography

    Thank you shierwin for the calculations. It's not my decision to go to kyoto. And it is 2 days. I think i will get the JR 7 day pass for convenience sake

    @iguanavon, If i have time i will travel there! Sounds good. Travel time about 1 hour 40mins? hmm..

  9. #29
    Member iguanavon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Shimonoseki
    Posts
    520

    Default Re: Tokyo And Kyoto Leisure and Photography

    Quote Originally Posted by Sgdevilzz View Post
    Thank you shierwin for the calculations. It's not my decision to go to kyoto. And it is 2 days. I think i will get the JR 7 day pass for convenience sake

    @iguanavon, If i have time i will travel there! Sounds good. Travel time about 1 hour 40mins? hmm..
    Oh ya! Do prepare shoe spikes if you're going to places that snows... The road could be quite slippery...

  10. #30

    Default Re: Tokyo And Kyoto Leisure and Photography

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanavon View Post
    Oh ya! Do prepare shoe spikes if you're going to places that snows... The road could be quite slippery...
    Right almost forgot about them! I don't think tokyo is snowing during march. Maybe kyoto. Or is it snowing everywhere?
    Last edited by Sgdevilzz; 16th February 2012 at 01:27 AM.

  11. #31
    Member iguanavon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Shimonoseki
    Posts
    520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sgdevilzz

    Right almost forgot about them! I don't think tokyo is snowing during march. Maybe kyoto. Or is it snowing everywhere?
    Oh, you're going in march? Maybe not a good timing to visit Nagano because high chance no snow since its going to be spring soon... Best to check their weather report...

  12. #32
    Senior Member shierwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    3,368

    Default Re: Tokyo And Kyoto Leisure and Photography

    @ Narita go to tourist info and pick up maps and brochure you need. Ask for Japanese copies if you can read Chinese Characters as >95% of jp names are Kanji.

    For JP pass must buy coupon from SG and covert to JR pass @airport. You are eligible to reserve seats @reservation centre at Rail station. look for the "seated green man" logo.

    Try to make a trip to Nikko worth it.
    March is Spring. Check out from jnto.go.jp or japan-guide.com as to where Hanami is at its best (ie cherry blossom viewing)

  13. #33

    Default Re: Tokyo And Kyoto Leisure and Photography

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanavon View Post
    Oh, you're going in march? Maybe not a good timing to visit Nagano because high chance no snow since its going to be spring soon... Best to check their weather report...
    Yes going during mid march. For a week. Really want to see some snow in japan. Any places where there are permanent snow? Hah.

    Quote Originally Posted by shierwin View Post
    @ Narita go to tourist info and pick up maps and brochure you need. Ask for Japanese copies if you can read Chinese Characters as >95% of jp names are Kanji.

    For JP pass must buy coupon from SG and covert to JR pass @airport. You are eligible to reserve seats @reservation centre at Rail station. look for the "seated green man" logo.

    Try to make a trip to Nikko worth it.
    March is Spring. Check out from jnto.go.jp or japan-guide.com as to where Hanami is at its best (ie cherry blossom viewing)
    A little confused about the JR pass. You mean i can't buy straight from narita airport?

  14. #34
    Member iguanavon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Shimonoseki
    Posts
    520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sgdevilzz

    Yes going during mid march. For a week. Really want to see some snow in japan. Any places where there are permanent snow? Hah.

    A little confused about the JR pass. You mean i can't buy straight from narita airport?
    Snow in March? Go Hokkaido, hahaha

    If I remember correctly, You need to buy in Singapore first, then exchange your receipt for the JR pass in Japan... Try googling for more details ba

  15. #35
    Member/Tangshooter Redsun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    7,931

    Default Re: Tokyo And Kyoto Leisure and Photography

    Quote Originally Posted by Sgdevilzz View Post
    A little confused about the JR pass. You mean i can't buy straight from narita airport?
    nope
    you need to buy in singapore then change the receipt for a JR pass in japan
    buy from JTB though
    if you buy from other travel agencies,there's a surcharge on top of the $450

  16. #36
    Senior Member shierwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    3,368

    Default Re: Tokyo And Kyoto Leisure and Photography

    You can buy all other types of regional JR passes in Japan, except the All-Japan JR pass.
    The JR pass voucher (7,14,21 days) must be bought outside Japan, then convert with start date @narita JR counter.
    Same as the Eurail Pass. Buy from JTB at Hong Leong Building, Shenton way.
    In the same blg, at level 17 (hope the floor is correct) is the JNTO office. Tons of brochure for you.
    Last edited by shierwin; 18th February 2012 at 08:56 AM. Reason: typo

  17. #37

    Default Re: Tokyo And Kyoto Leisure and Photography

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanavon View Post
    Snow in March? Go Hokkaido, hahaha

    If I remember correctly, You need to buy in Singapore first, then exchange your receipt for the JR pass in Japan... Try googling for more details ba
    Hokkaido so far! How about osaka?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsun View Post
    nope
    you need to buy in singapore then change the receipt for a JR pass in japan
    buy from JTB though
    if you buy from other travel agencies,there's a surcharge on top of the $450
    JTB Cheapest i suppose? What is the difference between First class and ordinary..

    Quote Originally Posted by shierwin View Post
    You can buy all other types of regional JR passes in Japan, except the All-Japan JR pass.
    The JR pass voucher (7,14,21 days) must be bought outside Japan, then convert with start date @narita JR counter.
    Same as the Eurail Pass. Buy from JTB at Hong Leong Building, Shenton way.
    In the same blg, at level 17 (hope the floor is correct) is the JNTO office. Tons of brochure for you.
    Thanks for the information! I'll head down there and check it out

  18. #38
    Member iguanavon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Shimonoseki
    Posts
    520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sgdevilzz

    Hokkaido so far! How about osaka?

    JTB Cheapest i suppose? What is the difference between First class and ordinary..
    By march, Oaska no more snow liao and anyway, Osaka is an area that seldom snow.

    Hmm... I've only been on the 'non reserved' carriage, but when I walked pass those 'reserved' carriage, I see no difference leh..

  19. #39
    Senior Member shierwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    3,368

    Default Re: Tokyo And Kyoto Leisure and Photography

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanavon View Post
    Hmm... I've only been on the 'non reserved' carriage, but when I walked pass those 'reserved' carriage, I see no difference leh..
    Can reserve your seat at the Reserve Counter "Midori-no madoguchi" of the station for train runs with reserve seats FOC, even 1-2 days before .

    How to use a reserved seat

    First class pay more lah.......... maybe give you a drink

  20. #40

    Default Re: Tokyo And Kyoto Leisure and Photography

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanavon View Post
    By march, Oaska no more snow liao and anyway, Osaka is an area that seldom snow.

    Hmm... I've only been on the 'non reserved' carriage, but when I walked pass those 'reserved' carriage, I see no difference leh..
    Darn i want to see snow! HAhaha. Maybe both carriages are fully seated already so can't tell the difference


    Quote Originally Posted by shierwin View Post
    Can reserve your seat at the Reserve Counter "Midori-no madoguchi" of the station for train runs with reserve seats FOC, even 1-2 days before .

    How to use a reserved seat

    First class pay more lah.......... maybe give you a drink
    I see, so i don't need first class to reserve seat right. The stops in between stations, are they long?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •