Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 67

Thread: Tokyo And Kyoto Leisure and Photography

  1. #1

    Default Tokyo And Kyoto Leisure and Photography

    Hi guys. I will be heading to Tokyo for 5 days and kyoto for a day before heading back to singapore. I'm going there more for leisure but would like to do more on photography as well. I will be staying at Le daiba for the 4 nights so i will not be backpacking. My first destination i want to go to is the shibuya district to capture some street shots. But i seriously have no idea how to go there unless by cab or subway. Any recommendations and tips?

    Any other fantastic places i should head to? I love doing panoramics cityscapes, are there any high rise buildings in tokyo i can access and take pictures?

    Thanks and cheers!,

    Don

  2. #2
    Senior Member xtemujin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Singapura, Singapore
    Posts
    2,778

    Default Re: Tokyo And Kyoto Leisure and Photography

    I've been to Kyoto but not Tokyo.

    Taxi is very expensive and subway goes to most places.

    I would suggest doing your subway homework here as most Japanese do not speak english.

    The subway system is a headache even for my Japanese friend.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Tokyo And Kyoto Leisure and Photography

    Quote Originally Posted by Sgdevilzz View Post
    Hi guys. I will be heading to Tokyo for 5 days and kyoto for a day before heading back to singapore. I'm going there more for leisure but would like to do more on photography as well. I will be staying at Le daiba for the 4 nights so i will not be backpacking. My first destination i want to go to is the shibuya district to capture some street shots. But i seriously have no idea how to go there unless by cab or subway. Any recommendations and tips?

    Any other fantastic places i should head to? I love doing panoramics cityscapes, are there any high rise buildings in tokyo i can access and take pictures?

    Thanks and cheers!,

    Don
    Regarding travelling in Tokyo, i would suggest the subway to anywhere and everywhere. It isn't that daunting of a task since all the lines are colour-coded, even the train lines are relatively easy to understand. I have been there several times and have never set foot in a taxi while i was there. Subways even from the airports (both Narita and Haneda). Just google subways/metro in Tokyo and i think it would be very affordable (compared to taxis that is) if you purchase the unlimited subway/train passes.

    You can spend the rest of your money on food and sightseeing instead of transportation.

  4. #4
    Member iamnubie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    676

    Default Re: Tokyo And Kyoto Leisure and Photography

    Don't worry, the subway is not as complicated as it looks, enjoy your trip.

    For me i love Kyoto more than Tokyo :P
    Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted

  5. #5

    Default Re: Tokyo And Kyoto Leisure and Photography

    Quote Originally Posted by Sgdevilzz View Post
    Any other fantastic places i should head to? I love doing panoramics cityscapes, are there any high rise buildings in tokyo i can access and take pictures?
    there is the tokyo tower
    TOKYO TOWER / Tokyo Tower Data
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

  6. #6
    Member/Tangshooter Redsun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    7,931

    Default Re: Tokyo And Kyoto Leisure and Photography

    you can go to shinjuku too
    west exit direction,you can go to the Tokyo metropolitan towers
    admission is free

    1 day in kyoto is kinda short imho
    there're many places in kyoto worth going
    like kiyomizudera,kinkakuji,fushimi inari etc

  7. #7
    Member iguanavon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Shimonoseki
    Posts
    520

    Default Re: Tokyo And Kyoto Leisure and Photography

    If you already know which area you're going to visit, the useful things to use to plan your trip is "Google map" or "Hyperdia"... These 2 websites show you which train to take, when to take and how much it costs... In addition, it's best if you can write down the kanji character of the station's name (but do note that not all station names are in kanji character)

    And in Kyoto, there's special priced bus/subway ticket for tourists. You can give the special priced tickets at the information counter at the Kyoto station.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Tokyo And Kyoto Leisure and Photography

    Quote Originally Posted by xtemujin View Post
    I've been to Kyoto but not Tokyo.

    Taxi is very expensive and subway goes to most places.

    I would suggest doing your subway homework here as most Japanese do not speak english.

    The subway system is a headache even for my Japanese friend.
    I do know a little japanese but not strong, i guess bringing a translation book helps alot huh? Subways are usually crowded am i right?


    Quote Originally Posted by pluginbaby View Post
    Regarding travelling in Tokyo, i would suggest the subway to anywhere and everywhere. It isn't that daunting of a task since all the lines are colour-coded, even the train lines are relatively easy to understand. I have been there several times and have never set foot in a taxi while i was there. Subways even from the airports (both Narita and Haneda). Just google subways/metro in Tokyo and i think it would be very affordable (compared to taxis that is) if you purchase the unlimited subway/train passes.

    You can spend the rest of your money on food and sightseeing instead of transportation.
    Actually my family plans to take a cab from narita airport all the way to le daiba pacific hotel, is it considered expensive? I've seen the route and it appears it be very far apart. May i know the cost of the unlimited train pass? Sorry i've never been to japan before.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Tokyo And Kyoto Leisure and Photography

    Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    there is the tokyo tower
    TOKYO TOWER / Tokyo Tower Data
    Thanks for the link! But i'm sort of looking for an open space area. Perhaps a hilltop or something that i can have a view of the city?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsun View Post
    you can go to shinjuku too
    west exit direction,you can go to the Tokyo metropolitan towers
    admission is free

    1 day in kyoto is kinda short imho
    there're many places in kyoto worth going
    like kiyomizudera,kinkakuji,fushimi inari etc
    When you say "Tokyo metropolitan towers" do you meant the Tokyo metropolitan government building? Because i googled towers and it gave me government building hahah. Planned changed, Spending 2 days in kyoto now. Staying in a Ryokan, not sure where yet though. I'll research on those places! Thanks!


    Quote Originally Posted by iguanavon View Post
    If you already know which area you're going to visit, the useful things to use to plan your trip is "Google map" or "Hyperdia"... These 2 websites show you which train to take, when to take and how much it costs... In addition, it's best if you can write down the kanji character of the station's name (but do note that not all station names are in kanji character)

    And in Kyoto, there's special priced bus/subway ticket for tourists. You can give the special priced tickets at the information counter at the Kyoto station.
    i actually do not know where to go! That is why i'm gathering information here. I plan to visit public parks, gardens, temples/shrines, night market? if that is what they call it and of course accessible skygardens or rooftops.

  10. #10
    Member iguanavon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Shimonoseki
    Posts
    520

    Default Re: Tokyo And Kyoto Leisure and Photography

    Quote Originally Posted by Sgdevilzz View Post
    Thanks for the link! But i'm sort of looking for an open space area. Perhaps a hilltop or something that i can have a view of the city?



    When you say "Tokyo metropolitan towers" do you meant the Tokyo metropolitan government building? Because i googled towers and it gave me government building hahah. Planned changed, Spending 2 days in kyoto now. Staying in a Ryokan, not sure where yet though. I'll research on those places! Thanks!




    i actually do not know where to go! That is why i'm gathering information here. I plan to visit public parks, gardens, temples/shrines, night market? if that is what they call it and of course accessible skygardens or rooftops.
    Tried these?
    japan-guide.com - Japan Travel and Living Guide
    Official Tourism Guide for Japan Travel

  11. #11

    Default Re: Tokyo And Kyoto Leisure and Photography

    Subway in Tokyo is actually very convenient, you can use hyperdia.com, it will tell you how to go, where to transfer and how much per trip...
    From Le Daiba, you can just cross to Aquacity, where you can see the Rainbow bridge and Tokyo Bay skyline.. so called "panoramic cityscape"
    or you can go to top of Mori Tower, where you can take the cityscape with Tokyo Tower in it... and of course the government building in shinjuku as stated above...

  12. #12

    Default Re: Tokyo And Kyoto Leisure and Photography

    Thank you for the links! Now i have to carefully see which ones are good and convenient for me.

    Quote Originally Posted by archlover View Post
    Subway in Tokyo is actually very convenient, you can use hyperdia.com, it will tell you how to go, where to transfer and how much per trip...
    From Le Daiba, you can just cross to Aquacity, where you can see the Rainbow bridge and Tokyo Bay skyline.. so called "panoramic cityscape"
    or you can go to top of Mori Tower, where you can take the cityscape with Tokyo Tower in it... and of course the government building in shinjuku as stated above...
    Hyperdia.com is actually very useful! I'm particularly interested in the government building in shinjuku, if it's a G-building, why can the public enter the rooftop?

  13. #13
    Member/Tangshooter Redsun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    7,931

    Default Re: Tokyo And Kyoto Leisure and Photography

    Quote Originally Posted by Sgdevilzz View Post
    Thanks for the link! But i'm sort of looking for an open space area. Perhaps a hilltop or something that i can have a view of the city?



    When you say "Tokyo metropolitan towers" do you meant the Tokyo metropolitan government building? Because i googled towers and it gave me government building hahah. Planned changed, Spending 2 days in kyoto now. Staying in a Ryokan, not sure where yet though. I'll research on those places! Thanks!

    oh im sorry
    yes i meant building
    i keep remembering them as towers coz u can choose which tower to go up to

  14. #14

    Default Re: Tokyo And Kyoto Leisure and Photography

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsun View Post
    oh im sorry
    yes i meant building
    i keep remembering them as towers coz u can choose which tower to go up to
    It is an open concept or it's one of those viewing decks with windows sealed?

  15. #15
    Member/Tangshooter Redsun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    7,931

    Default Re: Tokyo And Kyoto Leisure and Photography

    Quote Originally Posted by Sgdevilzz View Post
    It is an open concept or it's one of those viewing decks with windows sealed?
    its windows sealed
    for open concept,you can try umeda sky building in osaka
    its freezing at night though

  16. #16

    Default Re: Tokyo And Kyoto Leisure and Photography

    Quote Originally Posted by Sgdevilzz View Post
    I do know a little japanese but not strong, i guess bringing a translation book helps alot huh? Subways are usually crowded am i right?




    Actually my family plans to take a cab from narita airport all the way to le daiba pacific hotel, is it considered expensive? I've seen the route and it appears it be very far apart. May i know the cost of the unlimited train pass? Sorry i've never been to japan before.
    Bro, I heard the taxi fees from Narita to Tokyo will go in the range of >USD 300. If you're okay with them..hm. :| It's is also slower than taking the train.

    Nice hotel there, odaiba is not so easily accessible as compared to the more central areas, you surely need to do some train exchanges. And yes hyperdia would be awesome for this!

  17. #17

    Default Re: Tokyo And Kyoto Leisure and Photography

    Oh the metropolitan tower is nice and high, and FREE! But one downside is that the interior lights are very bright. Good for sight seeing but very difficult to take nightscape shots, as you will almost get reflections and all that. I went in 2010 and 2011 to Tokyo, 12 days and 14 days..so almost a month in tokyo between the two years LOL!

  18. #18
    Senior Member Big Kahuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    2,127

    Default

    Jr + subway + foot work....that's all u need in Tokyo unless u are super rich

  19. #19
    Member/Tangshooter Redsun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    7,931

    Default Re: Tokyo And Kyoto Leisure and Photography

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ang View Post
    Bro, I heard the taxi fees from Narita to Tokyo will go in the range of >USD 300. If you're okay with them..hm. :| It's is also slower than taking the train.

    Nice hotel there, odaiba is not so easily accessible as compared to the more central areas, you surely need to do some train exchanges. And yes hyperdia would be awesome for this!
    ya true
    from narita there're a few options to get to tokyo
    narita express being 1 of them
    definitely cheaper than getting a cab

  20. #20

    Default Re: Tokyo And Kyoto Leisure and Photography

    The fares for the cabs are ridiculous! Any idea how much is the 7day pass? Not planning to go far from tokyo as it is expensive even if i take the subway. Odaiba to Osaka can easily cost $250!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •