Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: upgrading of equipments

Quote Originally Posted by heshanj

ah there u go. so u mean u want to take the previously mentioned landscape and portraits in low light? in either case, u'd be best off investing in a good tripod (if u dont have one yet). a faster lens (wider aperture) lens would definitely help, especially for low light indoor portraits etc. but i think a good tripod would help u vastly for low light shots.
    Will wide open help in landscape? Normally I use small aperture when doing landscape.

But for portrait will be nice with wide opened lens.

Quote Originally Posted by rvf79

Will wide open help in landscape? Normally I use small aperture when doing landscape.

Usually, you will want to use a small aperture (f >11) to keep the whole picture in focus for landscape. For portrait, bigger aperture can be used for the bokeh effect to draw the eyes to focus on the subject.

Default Re: upgrading of equipments

Quote Originally Posted by zurjon View Post
    thanks catchlights, will take note of everything.
    my main concern right now is when i'm doing night shots or in low lighting situations, i'm struggling with this. but will keep on shooting to get better. will try to post some of my photos too. thanks a lot.!

be more specific on the problems you encountered, the best way is to post some photos with exif intact, so others can help you better.
    Last edited by catchlights; 11th February 2012 at 10:21 AM.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

To all, be nice to newbies,

after all, we all were newbies before.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by zapit View Post
    Usually, you will want to use a small aperture (f >11) to keep the whole picture in focus for landscape. For portrait, bigger aperture can be used for the bokeh effect to draw the eyes to focus on the subject.
    There is no 'bokeh effect'. Likely you mean: out of focus effect due to shallow Depth of Field. Bokeh only describes the quality, how pleasing the out of focus effect is rendered.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by rvf79 View Post

sorry if i was not clear, i was talking about a fast lens for lowlight portraits. ur right, i too use a small aperture for landscapes, to keep as much of the image as i can in focus, usually at least f8. thats why i recommended gettign the tripod, as (to my knowledge) there's not a lot u can do without a tripod if there's not much available light and u want to take a landscape shot.
    Check out my blog: pixelogist.me

I think Tamron 17-55-0 f2.8 should fit.

@ qynstan,
    basically majority of what you said are the problems i always encounter. i've been doing a lot of nights shots for the past few days and so far i manage to solve all of this problem. my may concern right now is my lens. i'm well aware right now that i need to get a better lens for my night shots or low lighting situations. thanks anyways.

@donut88,
    i don't know what to say to that.. lol!
    btw any tips/advise can share to me? basically i already know what am i supposed to do during night shots and i know what my equipment's limitations are. any good lens with reasonable price can recommend me? i'm currently using a nikon d5000. thanks.

Anyway you need to be more specific. People asked you a few times already yet you still keep giving vague info. If you're not specific, people can't give you the right advice for your situation.

If you think buying a lens will magically solve all your problems, then get the Tamron 17-50 2.8 WITH build in motor. As for VC (image stabilizer tech) or not, some people say VC's image quality is worse, others say the VC is beneficial. Do your own research. You pay more for VC, of course.

Your night shots of people are what type, candid shots of people moving? If that's the case then even if you get a new body with super duper iso ability and AF, it might be difficult also

@ catchlights,
    i tried to post some of my photos but it doesn't allow me yet to post one under critique corner, i wanted to show one of my photos taken during dusk.
    anyway my common problem are always getting blur, over and under exposed photos, sometimes i can't focus my camera too, but i figured out all of these problems, been taking a lot of night and low lighting photos. i'm happy coz finally i managed to figure out and solve all of this, still i'm well aware that i still need to practice a lot to improve more. right now i noticed that my lens is one of the factors that i can't get results that i want. i want to be consistent and been thinking now of getting a better lens.
    do you think it's a good idea for me to upgrade now? thanks again.

@noinimod
    basically my main problem is getting a blur image, over/under exposed and my camera can't focus on my subjects sometimes. at night i really don't take photos of moving subjects.
    anyway been doing a lot of night shots lately and i managed to figure out how to solve these problems, i just noticed that with my current lens i can't do much anymore. been researching and applying it and asking people too and i'm well aware that i still need to practice a lot. as of now considering of upgrading my lens to help me improve more and get better results. i'm still unsure though if its the right thing for me to do.
    anyway thanks for the tips will take not of that. i appreciate it.

@chilicutter
    actually i'm considering that lens but still unsure.
    thanks a lot.

to everyone who are posting their thoughts/tips/advise here,
    thanks a lot and will take note of everything and will try to apply it.
    hopefully i improve more. once again thank you guys.

@noinimod
    basically my main problem is getting a blur image, over/under exposed and my camera can't focus on my subjects sometimes. at night i really don't take photos of moving subjects.
    anyway been doing a lot of night shots lately and i managed to figure out how to solve these problems, i just noticed that with my current lens i can't do much anymore. been researching and applying it and asking people too and i'm well aware that i still need to practice a lot. as of now considering of upgrading my lens to help me improve more and get better results. i'm still unsure though if its the right thing for me to do.
    anyway thanks for the tips will take not of that. i appreciate it.
    You might want to be aware that the tamron 17-50 BIM has a tendency to hunt - especially in low light situations like in your case. But the constant f2.8 aperture will be very helpful in allowing you to increase shutter speed to freeze motion. But consider getting a second hand piece that is in good condition. i see quite a few for sale at good prices that are still within warranty period - get those. Then if you want to sell it later, you don't lose much, if any at all.

but all in all, you need to understand your gear well.

basically my main problem is getting a blur image, over/under exposed and my camera can't focus on my subjects sometimes. at night i really don't take photos of moving subjects....my current lens i can't do much anymore. ...as of now considering of upgrading my lens to help me improve more and get better results. i'm still unsure though if its the right thing for me to do.
    You may also look up on the topic called "slow sync" photography using camera mounted on tripod with shutter speed typically around 1/60 seconds (from my experience), aperture setting at F7.1, ISO setting at 1,600 (my camera's upper limit) and external flash mounted on camera's hotshoe.

In addition, you may also look up the "AF-assist illumination, compatible with multi-point AF system" offered in SB-800, SB-900 & SB-910 external flashes that facilitates focusing in low light condition under AF-S (not AF-C or AF-A) focus setting.

@noinimod & squid

thanks for the tips guys. appreciate your inputs.
    thanks a lot again.

Thumbs up Re: upgrading of equipments

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    To all, be nice to newbies,

after all, we all were newbies before.
    well said..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12