Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: upgrading of equipments

Default upgrading of equipments

hi everyone,

First of all i still consider myself very new to this hobby.
    I've been taking photographs using my Nikon d5000 for 2 years now and I'm still using the basic kit lens.
    Researching and attending some short classes help me improve my skills in taking photos.
    I usually take photos of people and nature (i love taking close up shots of them) and I'm also trying to learn landscape photography.
    I seriously want to improve and get better quality portrait and landscape photographs.
    I've been thinking of getting a new lens and still learning about types of lenses. until now, i'm still unsure which or what type of lens should i get and for i have a limited budget for this and should i upgrade my camera too at the same time? (eyeing on Nikon D90 )
    Any advise & tips is highly appreciated.
    Thank you guys in advance.

Cheers!

Default Re: upgrading of equipments

the most cost effective and a better way "to improve and get better quality portrait and landscape photographs."
    is to post some of the photos you took, to seek critic and comments here,

good or better gears will not help you in understanding about lighting, composition, framing etc.

you upgrade the gears only when it limited you, can't push yourself anyway further.

Hope this help.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

To me it sounds like you are blaming your dissatisfaction on gear. The real reason is behind the camera though. Post some of your pics for critique.
    Alpha

What problems, limitations are you facing now that lead you to think of an upgrade? Maybe it's good for you to tell us in details.
    D200

like the others have said, do not blame ur current gear for any issues or dissatisfaction u've been having with ur photos. ur current setup is pretty good, and ive seen great images taken on a D5000 and kit lens. keep shooting, and ask urself wat u find wrong with each picture.

landscape and portraiture would require different lenses, if ur looking to buy a dedicated lens for this type of photography. u'd be looking at a wide angle lens, maybe a wide angle zoom, for landscape, and u'd want a standard or tele prime lens for portraits (generally). i think u get a fair combination of both in ur kit lens for u to work on ur photos for now.
    upgrade later, when u find that ur taking good pictures with this setup, but u could really use something more, like a faster lens, a wider angle.. depends on u

and btw, i'd go for the d7000 if ur upgrading the body :P but like i said, stick to this setup for now
    Check out my blog: pixelogist.me

Since you have been taking photo on your D5000 for 2 years now... what do you feel lacking in your photo? When you compare the photos that you took when you first take up your camera to the most recent ones, did you see any improvement?

Plus it will not be easy for us to advise if upgrading of your equipment will help you or not, because only you yourself know what is lacking in your photos - was it contrast, sharpness or simply your composition and framing is not correct or good enough...
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

thanks catchlights, will take note of everything.
    my main concern right now is when i'm doing night shots or in low lighting situations, i'm struggling with this. but will keep on shooting to get better. will try to post some of my photos too. thanks a lot.!

Rashkae,

i"m not blaming my gears at all. i'm just struggling in some cases specially during low lighting situations. i'm still learning and seeking advice to those who have more experience in photography.
    i agree to you that it's not camera it person behind the camera.
    will post some photos soon.
    thanks a lot.!

rhino123,

i think i improve a lot compared last time. i'm happy with how i improve and results i got.
    during low lighting situations is the time when i struggle a lot. i'm still in the learning process and seeking advise from you guys who have more experience in photography.
    i will try to post some photos soon.
    thanks a lot.!

hi bruggink,

actually one major problem for me is taking photos in low lighting situations or taking night shots.
    i can't get the results that will satisfy me. i research a lot and applied what i've learnt and still giving me problems.
    basically this is the main reason why i think of upgrading my gears.
    i'm still in the learning process and seeking advise.
    thanks a lot.!

Also go out on outings then you can learn from others.

there is a group for newbie outings, maybe u can look into tht.

hi heshanj,

will take note of everything.
    basically my main problem are taking photos in low lighting situations and night shots. i really struggle alot here.
    i've done a lot of research and applied what i've learnt and still i'm not satified with the results i got.
    i'm still learning and seeking advise.
    thanks a lot.!

Thanks eleveninth, will take note of that.
    Thanks again.!

Have a look into the subforum for Night Photography. As long as you don't expect magic (handholding camera in some dim corners) you should find your answers there. Static objects require a tripod after sunset, unless you have the money for the flagships and high ISO monsters Do also check the specifics of metering and White Balance. After sunset, certain daylight rules are no longer applicable (somewhat logical, right?).
    EOS

I'm the sort of person that believes that you know when you're ready to upgrade when you know what you want to upgrade.

It means you need to:
    Be clear with your current limitations
    Understand the various solutions available
    Make that upgrade

It's that simple.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Quote Originally Posted by zurjon View Post
    hi heshanj,

basically my main problem are taking photos in low lighting situations and night shots. i really struggle alot here.
    i've done a lot of research and applied what i've learnt and still i'm not satified with the results i got.
    thanks a lot.!
    ah there u go. so u mean u want to take the previously mentioned landscape and portraits in low light? in either case, u'd be best off investing in a good tripod (if u dont have one yet). a faster lens (wider aperture) lens would definitely help, especially for low light indoor portraits etc. but i think a good tripod would help u vastly for low light shots.
    Check out my blog: pixelogist.me

For nightscape you need tripod, for portrait you need flash (and probably other accessories depending what do you want to achieve). If you want to do both, you will need both and an obedient model
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

thanks a lot guys for all the advise. i really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by zurjon
    hi heshanj,

thanks a lot.!
    You said the same thing several times but what exactly is your problem taking photos in low light and night shots.

Blur, too sharp, no DOF, too much DOF, no pic, no shutter release, can't focus, slow focus, flash, taking without flash, afraid of the dark, can't change lens cs can't see, can't carry tripod due bad back, Nikon logo taboo looking, see extra subjects.......????? What is the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by qystan

You said the same thing several times but what exactly is your problem taking photos in low light and night shots.

Blur, too sharp, no DOF, too much DOF, no pic, no shutter release, can't focus, slow focus, flash, taking without flash, afraid of the dark, can't change lens cs can't see, can't carry tripod due bad back, Nikon logo taboo looking, see extra subjects.......????? What is the problem?
    This one is another troll..... Don't waste time with this

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast