Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 36 of 36

Thread: how much is a dry box?

  1. #21

    Default

    Currently there is a sale going on the 30L is now $99 bucks. The 20L is now $89 bucks.



  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    A "FINE" Place Call Singapore
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Lock N Lock box for $19 with handle..... works for me....

  3. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dynaway
    Lock N Lock box for $19 with handle..... works for me....
    woah.. where can i buy the Lock N Lock box?

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    A "FINE" Place Call Singapore
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by faa
    woah.. where can i buy the Lock N Lock box?

    NTUC, GIANT...should have them

  5. #25

    Default

    I bought my dry box at Havey Norman(West Mall) at $11.50 and silica beads at $3.50 at the common photoshop last week for my Dimage Z3.

  6. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manalishi
    nowadays, most dry boxes come with hygrometer. So, shd be quite easy to find.

    Agree that while storing in tupperware may be good, u will not know how dry the air inside is. If too dry, all your rubbery parts may dry up and crack.

    i read elsewhere it's not the rubbery parts drying up and cracking ( although theres a possibility )

    The first problem you will encounter is the grease drying up
    the grease in the helical coil of the focusing mech will dry up
    and cause the mech to be less smooth or even jam.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default

    gee.. never knew grease could dry up...
    Any materials engineer here can confirm or clarify this?

    I haven't heard of grease drying up before... L
    eather straps drying up yes. grease.. well... to be confirmed
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  8. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mmmrsia
    Currently there is a sale going on the 30L is now $99 bucks. The 20L is now $89 bucks.


    hi.. i think i saw this offer at suntec "digital point". need some advise on whether if its a good buy.. u guys think so?

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    9,802
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gryphon
    Actually for small digital cameras just need a dry box & silica. No need spend $ on dry cabinet, as they are sealed up. Unlike SLR's which lens & body are not sealed, they are more prone to fungus.

    U can get a bottle of silica at abt $5, when turn pink, just put in toaster or oven to dry at low heat till it turns back to blue, then can reuse.
    Can also put in Microwave oven... faster.

  10. #30

    Default

    Just bought 2 units from Tangs today. Each unit is about 90+L and cost $300+.
    Got 6% discount if u use Citibank credit card. Then u get $30 voucher.
    So end up each unit cost about $270.

    Had used a similar unit from them for almost 10 years without any problem. Paid about $800 then.

  11. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by weekh
    Just bought 2 units from Tangs today. Each unit is about 90+L and cost $300+.
    Got 6% discount if u use Citibank credit card. Then u get $30 voucher.
    So end up each unit cost about $270.

    Had used a similar unit from them for almost 10 years without any problem. Paid about $800 then.
    wow.. price abit steep for me leh.. haha.. dun need 90L that big lah.. umm.. so i guess $99 for 30L is reasonable?

  12. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dynaway
    Lock N Lock box for $19 with handle..... works for me....
    Did you put silica inside?

  13. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alphi
    I bought my dry box at Havey Norman(West Mall) at $11.50 and silica beads at $3.50 at the common photoshop last week for my Dimage Z3.
    How big is your dry box?

  14. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    In the void.
    Posts
    1,322

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    gee.. never knew grease could dry up...
    Any materials engineer here can confirm or clarify this?

    I haven't heard of grease drying up before... L
    eather straps drying up yes. grease.. well... to be confirmed
    A lot of grease are hydrocarbon chains, so maybe it can become so dry that the chains give up their water molecules.

  15. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    443

    Default

    buy a dry cabinet lah! you people spend so much on the camera already, many in excess of $1000~3000, buy is $99 for a good quality dry cabinet to protect your investment?

  16. #36

    Default

    I totally agreed with nad.

    I just check with Digi, their 40L Digital Cabinet cost 146 (GST included, Free delivery and 5 yrs warranty)

    Cash and carry is about 138. (all terms as above except no free delivery)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •