Thread: Esplanade

Default Esplanade

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    Everything, hoping to improve on my photography
    2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    Capture the nightlife of singapore
    3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    Evening, dinnertime
    4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    No point of focus, White thing in the front is distracting

Untitled by ~fattyjoker on deviantART

Default Re: Esplanade

No comments?

Quote Originally Posted by dxJoker View Post
    4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    No point of focus, White thing in the front is distracting
    Sometimes, you are your best critic. The white thing just happened to be inside due to the framing of the photo. So did you notice that BEFORE or AFTER you took the photo? If it is after, it is good, because you are learning to critic your own photos. If it is before, even better, because you have thought about the composition of the photo before you pressed the shutter button.

Quote Originally Posted by dxJoker View Post
    2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    Capture the nightlife of singapore
    From the photo that you have shown me, Singaporeans don't seem to have much of a night life. There are a few people sitting down, probably having meals, while the centre of attention is a couple who are standing in the middle of the plaza talking to each other. If you wished to portray a bustling night life full of activity, you may wish to wait till later in the evening, when there are more people moving about in the plaza. If the restaurant seats are full, that will also add to the atmosphere. The relatively slow shutter speed will create motion blur when the crowd moves, much like the 4(?) guys at the bottom of the photo. With a smooth flowy crowd in the centre of the photo, flanked by customers at the bistros at the side, you can play around with your composition to achieve the effect that you like.

Cheers, and keep shooting!
    .my flickr :: .my tumblr
    D90 : Nikon 50mm f/1.8 : Nikon 105mm f/4 : Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8

Quote Originally Posted by brkit View Post
    Sometimes, you are your best critic. The white thing just happened to be inside due to the framing of the photo. So did you notice that BEFORE or AFTER you took the photo? If it is after, it is good, because you are learning to critic your own photos. If it is before, even better, because you have thought about the composition of the photo before you pressed the shutter button.

From the photo that you have shown me, Singaporeans don't seem to have much of a night life. There are a few people sitting down, probably having meals, while the centre of attention is a couple who are standing in the middle of the plaza talking to each other. If you wished to portray a bustling night life full of activity, you may wish to wait till later in the evening, when there are more people moving about in the plaza. If the restaurant seats are full, that will also add to the atmosphere. The relatively slow shutter speed will create motion blur when the crowd moves, much like the 4(?) guys at the bottom of the photo. With a smooth flowy crowd in the centre of the photo, flanked by customers at the bistros at the side, you can play around with your composition to achieve the effect that you like.

Cheers, and keep shooting!
    Thanks for the feedback! I wasn't really sure what i wanted to capture that night, hmm not really the nightlife, but probably the chill kind of feel at night! And i actua;;y noticed the white thing only after shooting, which was a pity. It is also kinda hard to crop it out since it takes up so much space in the bottom. Thanks for your comments anyways. Is there any other places i can improve on?

I believe this perspective works best with a fisheye. The railing should be a leading feature, but unfortunately due to your lens coverage, it is missing. I have wanted to attempt this before but I don't own a fish eye and just let it go first.
    Last edited by David Kwok; 16th February 2012 at 05:25 AM.
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

Haha true, but fisheye lenses do not serve much of a purpose do they?

Quote Originally Posted by dxJoker
    Haha true, but fisheye lenses do not serve much of a purpose do they?
    I don't quite agree with that. When used properly, fisheyes gives truly unique perspective into the world.
    The way I look at these lenses regardless expensive or cheap, they are just helping to bend lights and gives a camera view into the world. If you know how to bend the lights with these equipments and project them as u wish and possible onto the 2D plane, you earn the chance to deliver interesting art on the canvas.

I believe that as light collectors, we can give some truly different view into the same world to deliver the wow factor that ur mundane eyes can't see at times.
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

I'd think that fisheyes are difficult to use rather than not having much purpose.....