Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: D800 high ISO samples just came out

Blog Entries

Default Re: D800 high ISO samples just came out

Quote Originally Posted by Errz View Post
    manage HUNDREDs of photo for one wedding.. die siah.
    Nowadays... it is not surprising to manage THOUSANDS... 2k pictures a wedding is very common nowadays especially if there is a 2nd or 3rd shooter...
    Last edited by daredevil123; 13th February 2012 at 05:49 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by natasastra View Post
    Agree. hundreds of 36 MBps files compared to 16 MBps during AD wedding post-pro will be epic pain. Wonder if D800 can be set into lower res RAW format... that would solved the problem.
    Nope. RAW has only a few sizes... and they are all BIG.

Quote Originally Posted by natasastra View Post
    Agree. hundreds of 36 MBps files compared to 16 MBps during AD wedding post-pro will be epic pain. Wonder if D800 can be set into lower res RAW format... that would solved the problem.
    this is my concern as well. 36 mp raw files will eat through memory cards like cookie monster goes through cookies. time to stock up on additional CF and/or SD cards.
    Last edited by nickzkcin; 13th February 2012 at 06:25 PM.
    Team FX Nikon
    Pet peeve: The word is 'lens', not 'len'

Imagine the cost of buying:

1) extra CF cards

2) extra SD?

3) better computer(s)/ ram/ processor?

Some might as well just get a D4... if the 36MP isn't really that needed.

Imo.

EDIT: of course, there are a lot of 'if's...
    Last edited by tehzeh; 14th February 2012 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Nowadays... it is not surprising to manage THOUSANDS... 2k pictures a wedding is very common nowadays especially if there is a 2nd or 3rd shooter...
    !!! 2K photos !!!! *faint* thats crazy leh. 1k i already consider alot. need to do some quality control

Quote Originally Posted by kentwong81

Yes, I don't think it's suitable for AD wedding, especially if it is an upgrade from D700. D4 will be a much better choice to upgrade for AD wedding shooter, despite the hefty price tag.
    Shooting is just a small part for AD wedding, the workflow of post-processing hundreds of photos for a single wedding is more crucial. It's important to be cost and time efficient in handling the workflow.
    Agreed. But if it's pre-wedding outdoor or studio shoot, i think the 36mpx can provide more options for publishing/printing. Plus, just like many canon 5DII shooters, the high quality video option on D800 alone may make a good 2nd body.

Perhaps D4 and D800 combo for the pro wedding photographer. $$$$$$$

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mogwai View Post
    Agreed. But if it's pre-wedding outdoor or studio shoot, i think the 36mpx can provide more options for publishing/printing. Plus, just like many canon 5DII shooters, the high quality video option on D800 alone may make a good 2nd body.

Perhaps D4 and D800 combo for the pro wedding photographer. $$$$$$$

Do your clients feel that you present setup is lacking in these areas and are they willing to pay more for your equipment upgrade?
    Nikomi Canpen Zenten :eek:
    Not exactly 100% Natural but definitely the closest you can get to it

Now, I'm really torn (again) between the 2....

I dun shoot 2k photos per wedding but the figure within 800 ~ 1000 is possible. Considering that, plus I always shoot in backup mode, I would need at least 4 32GB SD cards and 4 32GB CF cards to shoot a wedding! ^^"

That could easily made up $1k just for the memory cards alone! The end result is still cheaper than a D4 but there's too much hassle during the event....

So... Spend 3.5k more or get more memory cards and refine a better workflow??

Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post

I dun shoot 2k photos per wedding but the figure within 800 ~ 1000 is possible. Considering that, plus I always shoot in backup mode, I would need at least 4 32GB SD cards and 4 32GB CF cards to shoot a wedding! ^^"

That could easily made up $1k just for the memory cards alone! The end result is still cheaper than a D4 but there's too much hassle during the event....

Personally I wont shoot with any CF that is bigger than 8GB , would rather carry more with me and change change change as I do not want the scenario where a faulty CF card wiped out the morning gatecrash photos !

Anyway 3.5K more to get D4 is what I would do if I am upgrading .. other than more memory cards , you would need more gilat PC , more HDD ....

Get the D4... it's investment for your work.

To me D700 is clean at ISO 1600 and usable at ISO 2500 and 3200. So as I am getting a replacement for my D700, I am happy if D800 can be clean and usable at ISO 3200 and below. If I want to use ISO 25600, I would have get a D3s or D4.

Quote Originally Posted by lobsterkia View Post
    Personally I wont shoot with any CF that is bigger than 8GB , would rather carry more with me and change change change as I do not want the scenario where a faulty CF card wiped out the morning gatecrash photos !

Anyway 3.5K more to get D4 is what I would do if I am upgrading .. other than more memory cards , you would need more gilat PC , more HDD ....
    I'm lucky enough to be playing Computer hardware b4 I got hooked on doing photography. Hence I do have quite a gilat PC and sufficient (for now) HDD. 24GB RAM is only like $270+ dollars for my chipset which is a minor expense.

However, carry 8GB cards really doesn't make any sense anymore on a D800 if I only shoot RAW. If one can only fill 175 RAW exposures in a 16GB memory card, 8GB would be like 80+ only. That means I've to carry 10 CF and 10 SD!! Managing the cards alone will take up a lot of time.

ISO requirement is impt for me but I should be able to survive under 6400 ISO. But recover the cost of D4 is gonna be like 6 to 7 weddings (if I can get that many.... -_-") excluding my own cost...

Anyway, that asides and with the low availability of D4/D800/D800E, I think I will have to patronise CameraRental much longer before I can get hold of my own FX... (and no, please dun recommend me getting a D700 for now, renting is much more economically sound)
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

May be some tech companies can come up with a small external HDD for the D800

Quote Originally Posted by Zenten

Do your clients feel that you present setup is lacking in these areas and are they willing to pay more for your equipment upgrade?
    Not a lack. But if there is an improvement, why not? That said, for example, as a 'client', I was impressed to know that the ultrasound machine used to scan my respond child was an upgrade as compared to the one used for my 1st child (which I was already very impressed by 3yrs ago).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Errz View Post
    !!! 2K photos !!!! *faint* thats crazy leh. 1k i already consider alot. need to do some quality control
    final delivery will cut down to 500 loh.. but all import into contact sheet first mah.

Blog Entries

Ever considered another D700 or D3s?

Anyway, D700 is already very sufficient for AD.

If one is confident and experienced in shooting wedding or events, shooting jpeg is more than sufficient.
    Inferiority Complex Behavior Signature: A900.D3x.M9..I have this and that blah blah...

sometimes we seem to have lost touch on how photographers were shooting weddings and events using 4 - 6 mp pro bodies back in early 2000. has the prints from current cams really improve that much over the 6mp cams? i dont think so

Quote Originally Posted by rasdeep View Post
    sometimes we seem to have lost touch on how photographers were shooting weddings and events using 4 - 6 mp pro bodies back in early 2000. has the prints from current cams really improve that much over the 6mp cams? i dont think so
    yes it has improved by leaps and bounds simply because wedding photographers are now able to shoot at ISO3200 and up till around 6400 without much fear of excessive noise as compared to the past when hitting ISO1600 causes quite a growth of grey hair. kekekeke

thus, prints do improve especially so for those tricky high ISO photos.

not only that, the DR range has improved over the years as well as colour rendering.

just cannot wait to grab hold of the D800 and do some shoots!
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123

Ever considered another D700 or D3s?

Anyway, D700 is already very sufficient for AD.
    I did for a while. But choose not to eventually. Not D700 because D800 updated its AF & metering system to D4's. Since it's my first FX, I would want to get a updated product. Why not D3s is because it's still way more expensive than D800 (comparing new piece for both)

I had to stick to D800 more likely due to budget constraint... D4 is like a dream far away, even further than D3s...
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast