Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Photography at the Esplanade

I was there watching a musical just now and there were so many people shooting like nobody business (even inside the theatre).

let me clarify...

it is not a total ban per se. they will advise you that it is not allowed. and if you insist on taking photos, they will have to take down your particulars. and if you are taking the photos for "commercial usage", you have to seek permission from the marcomm side...probably a fee as well.

hahah..i remember one incident when the esplande is built. Some of us gather at the promenade to shoot our convocation photos. We are stopped by the security. Yes, at the Promenade near the esplande. I ask the security, "Do esplande property steps up to here? Isnt this a public area that allows public to stroll? Damn it...Still kanna chase out by the security.

2nd incident is at Bugis Junction Square. I am officially by the management to take some photos of the Bugis Square. The management gal tells me that no permission is needed for the Bugis Square. You can take it on a Sun.

So well..i went during the Sun to take. As usual, children are playing at the fountain. Parents are taking thier pictures with their digital camera. I start to set up my tripod and take some shoot. Now the security comes over and tells me no photography allow. I tell him that i am permmitted by the management to shoot and there is no permission needed to shoot in the square.

In the end, he refused to listen to me. Ask for my contact and name. I politely tell him," well, you can take my film...i will collect it from your management tomorrow." Hahah..luckily he din take the film...so else sure will blame him for the late submission.

I wonder why must this security guards be so kpo? Of cos they are property rights. You need to get the management to give you the property realease to use the photos for commercial usage. But not in public spaces. What they can do is to forewarn us that any rights of the building belongs to the management. I believe that there is a need to educate the security guards!

Quote Originally Posted by Stereobox
    was kindly advised by the security there the other day, that ALL photographers need permission to shoot on the premises, both in and outside. that includes tourists with point-n-shoots.

any comments? i thought it was a centre to promote the arts.
    I shot there a few times in fact during Saturdays about 3 mths back. I was also shooting indoor quite abit too. I was seen but was never stopped from shooting. In fact alot of other folk were shooting away too from DSLR like mine to mobile phone cameras.

Could be some pathetic guard not happy with his job or just want to scare you up for some cheap thrill. It would not be the first time that had happened.

These "No Photography" stuffs on public buildings are all nonsense and stupid... the next places they are saying no maybe will be the Expo, the Padang (from here all the important government buildings are seen), the Stadium, the Museums, schools, SMU, NUS, shopping centres, etc... Don't you think giving excuse like security concern is really pathetic? A new small camera phone has a res of 1.5megapixels and can even shoot movies ..... These are all so silly and lame, really cannot tahan!.
    My current choice for "most friendly" places : Scott Shopping Centre, Raffles City & Taka
    My most unfriendly choices : Paragon, & Esplanade
    What yours?
    Last edited by Canonised; 4th December 2004 at 10:34 AM.
    always the Light, .... always.

was kindly advised by the security there the other day, that ALL photographers need permission to shoot on the premises, both in and outside. that includes tourists with point-n-shoots.

any comments? i thought it was a centre to promote the arts.
    I was shooting there last week and 2 days ago but those security guards did not stop me.

PS: I am using DSLR camera
    寒冰不能斷流水 枯木亦會再逢春

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888
    Could be some pathetic guard not happy with his job or just want to scare you up for some cheap thrill. It would not be the first time that had happened.
    You seem to have a bad impression of security? By the way, i think they utilise Cisco guards. The security was just doing his job, I even had a small friendly chat with him regarding this issue. He kept saying it's not like he enjoy stopping people from enjoying their hobby, but he have a job to do.

Seems like generally, we can get away shooting handheld, but not tripods

So if we put down our particulars when requested, we can shoot all the pics we want? If that's the case, i dont see any problem with that.

I do find the inconsistency/discrimination by security personnel irritating.. If they wana take down info of photographers, then by all means, take down ALL photographer's particulars. if not, just walk around and pretend to be working.

Sure irks me if my particulars were requested and taken down (after they have to spend alot of time looking for paper and pen etc), while a bunch of tourists taking pictures 10 yards from me are happily shooting away...

You seem to have a bad impression of security? By the way, i think they utilise Cisco guards. The security was just doing his job, I even had a small friendly chat with him regarding this issue. He kept saying it's not like he enjoy stopping people from enjoying their hobby, but he have a job to do.

Seems like generally, we can get away shooting handheld, but not tripods
    Well I don't discriminate if that is what you meant. Let's just say I have been around and am well aware that just like any job there is the black sheep and I know for a fact sometime this happen and also it depends on you..meaning if they size you up for someone they can "makan" they just might intimidate you alittle. And yes they could have misunderstood the rules governing the building regarding picture taking. They look at a small camera as nothing but see you with a DSLR or SLR and they think maybe you are a pro shooting library pictures for commercial use.

I doubt they are using CISCO for this general security unless some VIP function was takening place that day. Example like VIP or some govt official attending a show..etc. On those days they are stricter and might even stop you from taking pictures. CISCO are too expensive to hire to watch shopping centres or even the Esplanade. CISCO will not blunder like that too..they are alot more highly trained. They are internally hire guards or a sub-contracted operation.

It also depending on you the photographer. If you start acting funny and hidding around shooting pictures of ...espcially girls. Then you are drawing unwanted attention to yourself and get people thinking you might be doing more the just snapping photos.
    Last edited by sammy888; 4th December 2004 at 11:21 AM.

later on, the marketing and communications representative came along and did mention something about 'copyright to the building image'. exactly what that means, i have no idea.. but something to the effect, if you are going to use a picture of the Esplanade for commercial usage, you got to pay

honestly not starting or kicking up a fuss here, just want to know where photographers stand on this issue. for example, if we were to take a picture of the Esplanade or Merlion, and sell it to a postcard company...how?

2 more miscellaneous question, is the Esplanade being managed by a private company? and how exactly will photography be a threat to the safety of the building and visitors?

please do not see this as an opportunity to flame the g'arment or anything. honestly seeking answers here.

Now that you mention this, I also have a question.

If a photog shoot esplanade, merlion, street candid photos etc, entres a photo contest, comes in 1st, win some $$ or gifts, then how? Will the photog be charge for infringing copy right?
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Guys, the police & security had copied my IC more times than I can recall for shooting late (or I should say early in the morning) @ various location (yes, even around HDB area like Bukit Merah). Just let them do their job and they will let you continue shooting. Bet here in singapore, very very few photog, if not none shoots in odd hour like me.

Anyway, for the stated esplanade case here, as long as you dont shot the building's structure, is fine. That what the security told me.

Once the security and police stop me (they spotted me in just under 2 minutes) while I was setting my tripod and camera to shoot 1 of the "Y" pillar that you see from outside. But that was like 2am saturday. I am glade their security is so efficiency. So I pack up and go lor.

Another time was from shooting the coolies @ 3-4am sunday. The security & police copied my IC and let me carry on shooting. Well done guys.

But now they couldnt be bother by me, maybe because they had come to realise they had already my IC data (since they probebly copied it not less than 10 times if I remember correctly). Relax lah.

Initially, I feel they are over reacting to the whole "T" situation round the world. But now numb already. Ha ha ha.
    Last edited by denniskee; 4th December 2004 at 04:03 PM.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

On hindsight. I wonder if the management will stop wedding photographers who do couple portraiture shoots there. It'll be interesting. This topic should be discussed in broader detail.
    Hmm... I dun think so.

A wedding is a wedding afterall. Supposed to be a joyous occasion, I'm sure no one in their right frame of mind would run out to stop a couple frm taking their wedding portraits during the shoot.

Maybe AFTER the shoot, the photographer might get approached and advised against further shots without permission in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by nostalgia
    I wonder why must this security guards be so kpo? Of cos they are property rights. You need to get the management to give you the property realease to use the photos for commercial usage. But not in public spaces. What they can do is to forewarn us that any rights of the building belongs to the management. I believe that there is a need to educate the security guards!
    I dun think its being kaypoh.

More like a case of a high-handed (aka "Siao On") Security Guard who has double standards.

Prolly P&S does not constitute photography and SLRs constitutes photography cos we look more 'professional'?

Default Update!

guess what? a stroke of coincidence...was speaking to a client today and she happens to work at the Esplanade. naturally, i brought up the issue of photography there.

she was surprised that i was stopped, and i hinted what if we are taking for commercial usage (e.g. background for a lifestyle shoot). she did say it would be good if the Esplanade is notified that there would be some kind of shoot going on. she didn't say anything about payment though. she did direct me to the marcomm side for further queries.

anyway, if we were to sell our pictures of the Esplanade, Merlion or other national landmarks to a postcard company ... do we need to seek permission? and from whom?

i was carrying my SLR and big L lens on slung around my neck when i was asked to get outfrom a shopping centre by a guard. i said i was shopping and not taking pictures but he was not willing to listen. I said ok and wrote down his name from the name tag in my notebook and told him i was going to lodge a complaint to his company and building management and that he was probably going to be fired.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffar King
    i was carrying my SLR and big L lens on slung around my neck when i was asked to get outfrom a shopping centre by a guard. i said i was shopping and not taking pictures but he was not willing to listen. I said ok and wrote down his name from the name tag in my notebook and told him i was going to lodge a complaint to his company and building management and that he was probably going to be fired.
    I personally feel that some people misunderstanding the message “No photography”.

To me it mean we cannot take photos within that premise but we are allow to bring in camera as long as we don’t start shooting. If not, hand phone camera and P&S camera should not be allow too.

Unless the sign state as “No photography equipment”, the guard should not stop us from carry our camera there.

Anyway, just like you, I always carry my SLR and big L lens to places like MRT station, Esplanade (indoor and outdoor) , shopping center etc ….. So far no one stop me yet.
    寒冰不能斷流水 枯木亦會再逢春

If it says there "No Photography" in a commercial. I guess many of us will respect that decision.

However, if a shopping centre or anywhere says "No Photography Equipment Allowed", how different izzit frm an Army camp?

Lightbulb

usually, they are not so wordy. like 'No Cameras allowed' with a prohibitive sign over a camera.

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    usually, they are not so wordy. like 'No Cameras allowed' with a prohibitive sign over a camera.
    Maybe they should come up with a prohibitive sign over a handphone camera too
    寒冰不能斷流水 枯木亦會再逢春

Might as well ban all electronic transmission devices inside the building lagi best right?

That includes, laptops, handphones, cameras, bluetooth devices, palms, etc, etc

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast