Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Kenko extension tube OR raynox 250

  1. #1

    Lightbulb Kenko extension tube OR raynox 250

    If given a choice, which one would you prefer for a newbie who is experimenting with Macro photography? The Kenko extension tubes or Raynox DCR 250, and why?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,786

    Default Re: Kenko extension tube OR raynox 250

    Based on what I had been through. I would say not to use either and buy a cheap, old model, manual focus, Tamron 90mm F/2.8
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

  3. #3

    Default

    Both have pro and con.

    Ext tubes give high magnification for shorter lens while diopter (raynox) more effective on longer lens.

    Diopter adds on the front of lens, so can be remove easily if necessary. Tubes have to remove lens to remove tube.

    Tubes no glass involve so do not affect IQ but it causes light loss. Diopter is the opposite.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye
    Based on what I had been through. I would say not to use either and buy a cheap, old model, manual focus, Tamron 90mm F/2.8
    One can still use tubes or diopter on macro lens to achieve greater than 1:1 magnification.
    Last edited by GRbenji; 6th February 2012 at 09:47 PM.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Kenko extension tube OR raynox 250

    Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    Based on what I had been through. I would say not to use either and buy a cheap, old model, manual focus, Tamron 90mm F/2.8
    Hmmm ..... How much is the tamron lens? And is there any website where I can see the shots taken with the lens? thanks!!

    Quote Originally Posted by GRbenji View Post
    Both have pro and con.

    Ext tubes give high magnification for shorter lens while diopter (raynox) more effective on longer lens.

    Diopter adds on the front of lens, so can be remove easily if necessary. Tubes have to remove lens to remove tube.

    Tubes no glass involve so do not affect IQ but it causes light loss. Diopter is the opposite.
    This is really helpful. Thanks dude!

    Anyway, shorter lens = 50mm and longer lens = 18-200? And a external flash is highly reccomended if I use either one, right?
    Last edited by KitKatKiat; 6th February 2012 at 10:32 PM.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Kenko extension tube OR raynox 250

    Quote Originally Posted by KitKatKiat View Post
    This is really helpful. Thanks dude!

    Anyway, shorter lens = 50mm and longer lens = 18-200? And a external flash is highly reccomended if I use either one, right?
    Every lens has certain magnification. Ext tubes and diopter will give additional magnication and the calculations are as follow:

    Tube magnification = (Ext tube length)/(Focal Length)


    Diopter magnification = (Focal Length x Diopter power)/1000
    Raynoc 250 is a +8 diopter.
    Last edited by GRbenji; 6th February 2012 at 10:39 PM.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Kenko extension tube OR raynox 250

    Thx for the info, am I correct with the following?

    Tube: 12mm = 12mm/100 = 0.12 = max 1.12 magnification

    Dipoter (e.g. Raynoc 250) = (100 x 8)/1000 = 0.8 = max 1.8 magnification

    Quote Originally Posted by GRbenji View Post
    Every lens has certain magnification. Ext tubes and diopter will give additional magnication and the calculations are as follow:

    Tube magnification = (Ext tube length)/(Focal Length)


    Diopter magnification = (Focal Length x Diopter power)/1000
    Raynoc 250 is a +8 diopter.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Kenko extension tube OR raynox 250

    Quote Originally Posted by slmka View Post
    Thx for the info, am I correct with the following?

    Tube: 12mm = 12mm/100 = 0.12 = max 1.12 magnification

    Dipoter (e.g. Raynoc 250) = (100 x 8)/1000 = 0.8 = max 1.8 magnification
    That's correct if your 100mm is a macro lens giving you 1:1 magnification.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GRbenji

    One can still use tubes or diopter on macro lens to achieve greater than 1:1 magnification.
    Haha of cos. but I would take that as step 2.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

  10. #10

    Default Re: Kenko extension tube OR raynox 250

    Quote Originally Posted by GRbenji View Post
    That's correct if your 100mm is a macro lens giving you 1:1 magnification.
    Thx GRbenji for the info. Have been trying to understand the usage of these 2 accessories.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •