Thread: Whats the best way to get lens Flare?

Default Whats the best way to get lens Flare?

Hi anybody know whats the best way to increase chance of getting lens flare from spot lights or the sun?

Regards
    kenneth

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth76
    Hi anybody know whats the best way to increase chance of getting lens flare from spot lights or the sun?

Regards
    kenneth

Face directly at the sun or spot light .....

get a zoom lens, one lens which have more elements to increase the halos and artifacts, get a 7-8 aperture blade to render the spots round or 5 to render it hexagonal. as the sun is above you your angle should be diagontal, whichwill increase your chance if you frame your sun on the top. try diagonals to get more flare in portrait orientation.

Star filter? I too have a camera that has difficulty in getting lens flare when pointing direct into bright light sources like the sun... canon ql17.... I just live with it.

Alvin

use PS
    the topic was to get a lens flare right?
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Default Thanks guys

Thanks guys for the feed back, been basiclly shooting towards the light and various shuter and apertures setting to get a flare. Its like heng sway. But thanks Belle&sebastian will give your suggestion a try, maybe that why it seems my 70-200 flares more

erm.. dun use HOOD?

Talking

Get any sigma zoom lens and point it at the sun. Mega flare

Quote Originally Posted by Belle&Sebastain
    get a zoom lens, one lens which have more elements to increase the halos and artifacts, get a 7-8 aperture blade to render the spots round or 5 to render it hexagonal. as the sun is above you your angle should be diagontal, whichwill increase your chance if you frame your sun on the top. try diagonals to get more flare in portrait orientation.
    Shouldn't a 5-blade aperture generate pentagon-shaped flare instead of hexagonal?
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Stack more filters in front of the lens too....

Default Thanks for replies

Thanks for replies guys once again. More filters hmmm interesting ok will try at my next shoot maybe I just set a side one 50 mm with 4 or 5 filters on it. 77mm filters expensive lah.. 70-200 a bit too tele to be my main lens.

geez... lens engineer try hard to produce flare-less lens and now we want flares

Fast lenses flare very easily near wide open, esp those in the f1.x range.

Some lenses also have 'signature' flare patterns, like the Canon 16-35/2.8L and 85/1.2L. Most of the cheaper lenses do not flare well - there is a severe drop in contrast throughout the picture, and in such cases, using software to create flare spots might be a better choice.

Quote Originally Posted by roygoh
    Shouldn't a 5-blade aperture generate pentagon-shaped flare instead of hexagonal?
    oops yes, my bad

Oh yeah, wear good sunglasses.

U dun wanna get cataract or blind urself cos u wanna get that 'Perfect Flare Effect' eh?

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn

U dun wanna get cataract or blind urself cos u wanna get that 'Perfect Flare Effect' eh?

yeah, dun try that everyday. haha!

i tot u are suppose to stop down the lens at least one stop to see the hexagonal effect.

~MooEy~

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn

sunglasses not enuff. the light through the viewfinder is very intense.

just did a outdoor wedding shoot and the couple requested the sun flare as they saw it on my portfolio,

my eyes sees purple after 3 mins of shooting, just a gentle reminder, take care of your eyes and happy new year everyone!